Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby davos » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:41 pm

Sunflowermum

This is a very trying time for the p6s, I am sure the girl concerned's parents would be heartbroken if her psle results were to be affected by this incident. As parents, I am sure we want our children to be free from other worries and simply concentrate on their studies during this period of time, let's just live and let live.

davos
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Chenonceau » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:03 am

Our response to GEP students' bad behavior and evidence of poor moral fibre should not be biased by the fact that they are GEP. When the Hwa Chong teachers decided to erase every record of Jonathan Wong's foray into the female teacher's toilet, it was also with the reasoning that this is a GEP student with a bright future and one should not report him.

The nation pours resources aplenty into the GEP in the hope that from this group would arise industry, research and political leaders. A GEP student with lax morals can do much more harm to society than a Normal stream student. The one could reach a high position of influence (think Rupert Murdoch). The other is unlikely to (though that may not be true 'cos we seem to have quite a few high IQ students in Normal stream).

This is not a matter to be swept easily under the carpet because we are dealing with very intelligent children and they should NOT be made to understand that they have more leeway to be naughty because they are smart. Why should the fact that the child is in GEP figure at all in a decision to be lenient? The child should be handled as any other child who misbehaves.

If anything, one should be more exacting of such a child to ensure that there will be no repeats of Jonathan Wong equivalent scholars in later life. Now, I am NOT saying that we should report this girl nor punish her severely... I am not privy to the exact circumstances of whatever the transgression. I respond merely to the notion that one should be lenient BECAUSE the girl is a GEPper and in P6.

If the girl needs help, we should help her. If she needs some pruning, we should also do that too. A GEPper or otherwise, she is a child that needs some loving discipline, but discipline nonetheless.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:08 am

Chenonceau wrote:
If the girl needs help, we should help her. If she needs some pruning, we should also do that too. A GEPper or otherwise, she is a child that needs some loving discipline, but discipline nonetheless.

Agree that this kid needs councselling more than a sentence/judgement. She's still young can should be 'correctable'.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby AntiGEP » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm

I agreed for those who have stand by her...As for sunflowermum, have you ever thought if one of these days, your kid is the one who passed this kind of comments, and being shown in the forum (public)..how will you and your kid feel??? :)

AntiGEP
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ksoh3000 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:53 pm

Hi

Can anyone please enlighten me abt the GEP slection test . Do all the schools have the GEP selection tests for all Children in P3? or is it only selected schools have the GEP tests?
Thank You

ksoh3000
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ksmother » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:12 pm

Nope, she has created a new account. Check out No B ody.

ksmother
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jtoh » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:25 pm

ksoh3000 wrote:Hi

Can anyone please enlighten me abt the GEP slection test . Do all the schools have the GEP selection tests for all Children in P3? or is it only selected schools have the GEP tests?
Thank You

All students in P3 will have the opportunity to sit for the GEP screening test, which is the first round. Of these, those selected will sit for the GEP selection test which is the second round.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby hexagon » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:29 pm

ksoh3000 wrote:Hi

Thank You

GEP selection tests are for anyone in P3 across all schools in singapore. P3 students (parents) can decide if they want to take the tests.

hexagon
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jtoh » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:38 pm

fyi,

* GEP Screening Test: 24 August 2011
* GEP Selection Test: 18 and 19 October 2011

About 4000 students will be shortlisted for the GEP selection test.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby musette » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:03 pm

My sis-in-law, despite my advice, still enrolled her son in Mindstretcher prep class and don't know what other classes to prepare him for the GEP screening test. According to her, all her colleagues' children are/were in GEP.

musette
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge