35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:10 pm

sleepy wrote:So should go or should not go for training?

if u can afford and really think GEP is good for your kid, then why not?

But like I said b4, they should be already doing rather well and also showing they can grasp higher level concepts easily.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Soyousay » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:03 pm

A word for advice for sleepy: Whether your child gets into the GEP or not is not a subject on which training is needed. Just like a normal New South Wales test, the screening test is simply something by which students with a faster thinking capacity are chosen. Most of us are more like those in the mainstream, but our teachers are the main reason why we can now work better :snuggles:
Last edited by Soyousay on Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soyousay
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Unsatisfied-Mum » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:26 pm

My kid's in the GEP and I think how they say that the GEP is really stressful is a gross exaggeration. This is not very true, to be honest. I don't know of the level of homework in the Mainstream, but my kid always has a lot of spare time on his hands (until this year, because he's P6) and his teachers say he has never not handed in homework. Of course, there is the occasional project but there is generally a lot of time to do them.

Unsatisfied-Mum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby laughingcat » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:46 pm

Chenonceau wrote:Our response to GEP students' bad behavior and evidence of poor moral fibre should not be biased by the fact that they are GEP. When the Hwa Chong teachers decided to erase every record of Jonathan Wong's foray into the female teacher's toilet, it was also with the reasoning that this is a GEP student with a bright future and one should not report him.

The nation pours resources aplenty into the GEP in the hope that from this group would arise industry, research and political leaders. A GEP student with lax morals can do much more harm to society than a Normal stream student. The one could reach a high position of influence (think Rupert Murdoch). The other is unlikely to (though that may not be true 'cos we seem to have quite a few high IQ students in Normal stream).

This is not a matter to be swept easily under the carpet because we are dealing with very intelligent children and they should NOT be made to understand that they have more leeway to be naughty because they are smart. Why should the fact that the child is in GEP figure at all in a decision to be lenient? The child should be handled as any other child who misbehaves.

If anything, one should be more exacting of such a child to ensure that there will be no repeats of Jonathan Wong equivalent scholars in later life. Now, I am NOT saying that we should report this girl nor punish her severely... I am not privy to the exact circumstances of whatever the transgression. I respond merely to the notion that one should be lenient BECAUSE the girl is a GEPper and in P6.

If the girl needs help, we should help her. If she needs some pruning, we should also do that too. A GEPper or otherwise, she is a child that needs some loving discipline, but discipline nonetheless.

Well said! :celebrate: So what if you are GEPers? Everyone of us will be stress in some sense and that does not give anybody an opportunity to react that way.

It is not so easy by giving excuses such as being "stressed by PSLE" will allow the wrong dooer to get away.

Wrong means wrong. Right means right.

As a parent, if ever my child is "vulgar" towards an elder, I will surely :nunchuk: Is being vulgar necessary? Is that the only way to display your displeasure? Does displaying vulgarity help you get anywhere? The answer is no and therefore reframe from doing it. Period.

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sunflowermom » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:00 pm

davos wrote:Sunflowermum

This is a very trying time for the p6s, I am sure the girl concerned's parents would be heartbroken if her psle results were to be affected by this incident. As parents, I am sure we want our children to be free from other worries and simply concentrate on their studies during this period of time, let's just live and let live.

As a parent, I will be heartbroken to have a daughter/son who has no moral value than did not do well for PSLE.

So what if a child is academically good but does not show respect to the elder and people around her?

sunflowermom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sunflowermom » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:08 pm

Chenonceau wrote:Our response to GEP students' bad behavior and evidence of poor moral fibre should not be biased by the fact that they are GEP. When the Hwa Chong teachers decided to erase every record of Jonathan Wong's foray into the female teacher's toilet, it was also with the reasoning that this is a GEP student with a bright future and one should not report him.

The nation pours resources aplenty into the GEP in the hope that from this group would arise industry, research and political leaders. A GEP student with lax morals can do much more harm to society than a Normal stream student. The one could reach a high position of influence (think Rupert Murdoch). The other is unlikely to (though that may not be true 'cos we seem to have quite a few high IQ students in Normal stream).

This is not a matter to be swept easily under the carpet because we are dealing with very intelligent children and they should NOT be made to understand that they have more leeway to be naughty because they are smart. Why should the fact that the child is in GEP figure at all in a decision to be lenient? The child should be handled as any other child who misbehaves.

If anything, one should be more exacting of such a child to ensure that there will be no repeats of Jonathan Wong equivalent scholars in later life. Now, I am NOT saying that we should report this girl nor punish her severely... I am not privy to the exact circumstances of whatever the transgression. I respond merely to the notion that one should be lenient BECAUSE the girl is a GEPper and in P6.

If the girl needs help, we should help her. If she needs some pruning, we should also do that too. A GEPper or otherwise, she is a child that needs some loving discipline, but discipline nonetheless.

:goodpost:

AGREED!!!

sunflowermom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MisterTalkCock » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:13 pm

People. I know, this really does look bad for GEPers. But, you see, we are still young, like, 12 years of age, we aren't even half of your age. Some of us might still be immature. So, of course, we commit mistakes. sunflowermom, recall your childhood. and recall. and recall. i am sure that some memories will be sure to pop up.
well, have you recalled yet? now, select one when you were still of our age, perhaps younger. have you ever done anything that you regret?
well, of course you must have. but no one here is trying to use just one mistake you have done to ruin your entire life.
xxxx here is a geper. the ministry is trackign her records. she might be still immature, and thus spout this type of rubbish. that-i understand. she might be at fault. but does one wrong erase all your rights? you wont let her atone? why are you still harassing her? just leave her alone. and now you are stalking her, even finding her new account, when she wanted to start afresh.
SHEESH.

[Moderator's Note]

MisterTalkCock,
The name has been edited off. You are not helping her by putting her name here. Please exercise sensitivity. It becomes questionable your real intention.

MisterTalkCock
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby MisterTalkCock » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:17 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
Chenonceau wrote:

Agree that this kid needs councselling more than a sentence/judgement. She's still young can should be 'correctable'.

:goodpost:

MisterTalkCock
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby AntiGEP » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:17 pm

laughingcat wrote:

Well said! :celebrate: So what if you are GEPers? Everyone of us will be stress in some sense and that does not give anybody an opportunity to react that way.

It is not so easy by giving excuses such as being "stressed by PSLE" will allow the wrong dooer to get away.

Wrong means wrong. Right means right.

As a parent, if ever my child is "vulgar" towards an elder, I will surely :nunchuk: Is being vulgar necessary? Is that the only way to display your displeasure? Does displaying vulgarity help you get anywhere? The answer is no and therefore reframe from doing it. Period.

Agreed as per Chenonceau...but do we know what is in our children's mind???? And what they want???? Will or can they voice out to us when they are unhappy with us????Most of the times the answer is NOOOOOOO.... They will share only with their peers instead as they will listen to them ...And parents shouldnt involve in their talk (FB)..even their children share their P/W with them...parents can view and check on it and shouldnt get too involve..

AntiGEP
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby AntiGEP » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:33 pm

MisterTalkCock wrote:People. I know, this really does look bad for GEPers. But, you see, we are still young, like, 12 years of age, we aren't even half of your age. Some of us might still be immature. So, of course, we commit mistakes. sunflowermom, recall your childhood. and recall. and recall. i am sure that some memories will be sure to pop up.
well, have you recalled yet? now, select one when you were still of our age, perhaps younger. have you ever done anything that you regret?
well, of course you must have. but no one here is trying to use just one mistake you have done to ruin your entire life.
xxxxx here is a geper. the ministry is trackign her records. she might be still immature, and thus spout this type of rubbish. that-i understand. she might be at fault. but does one wrong erase all your rights? you wont let her atone? why are you still harassing her? just leave her alone. and now you are stalking her, even finding her new account, when she wanted to start afresh.
SHEESH.

I strongly agree with this person...dont tell me everyone of you out there is perfect and never make a mistake in his/her whole life...human being do make mistakes..as long as they are willing to change and we should give them a chance..why must we have to track her all the ways like ghost..why cant we adults forgive and forget..why must we have to be so mean to a 11/12 years old..what if this thing happens on your child.. what will you parents and your child feel about it????? Sad and hurt rite??? Why must make it so COMPLICATED ???? ...really dont get it...why must go to the extreme to hurt this fragile gal...PLS LET HER GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

AntiGEP
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres