Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby LOLMum » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:33 pm

MisterTalkCock wrote:
xxxxx here is a geper. the ministry is trackign her records. she might be still immature, and thus spout this type of rubbish. that-i understand. she might be at fault. but does one wrong erase all your rights? you wont let her atone? why are you still harassing her? just leave her alone. and now you are stalking her, even finding her new account, when she wanted to start afresh.
SHEESH.

to the "you" as mentioned by mtc, give the girl a break. we were young once too.
Last edited by LOLMum on Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Unsatisfied-Mum » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:40 pm

Unfortunately, here we see quite a bit of discrimination against GEP students. My son says that at school, he is sometimes 'bullied' in a sense because he is in GEP. But this 'xxxx' person should learn to be more mature. They are other ways of expressing yourself other than vulgarities, although it is true that everyone is exposed to them some time or other.

Unsatisfied-Mum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Unsatisfied-Mum » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:47 pm

HONESTLY, just let this matter pass! My son knows this girl and he says she is normally a quiet and docile girl. Perhaps she was frustrated about something, or her account got hacked.

Unsatisfied-Mum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby sunflowermom » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:33 pm

LOLMum wrote:
MisterTalkCock wrote:
xxxxx here is a geper. the ministry is trackign her records. she might be still immature, and thus spout this type of rubbish. that-i understand. she might be at fault. but does one wrong erase all your rights? you wont let her atone? why are you still harassing her? just leave her alone. and now you are stalking her, even finding her new account, when she wanted to start afresh.
SHEESH.

to the "you" as mentioned by mtc, give the girl a break. we were young once too.

MTC, what make u think that I am the one who harassed and stalked your dear friend?
What make you think that there isn't any GE Branch/MOE/TNPS school teacher (or even teachers from the schools you applied DSA) reading this forum?
Don't waste your previous time here trying to be a 'hero'.

sunflowermom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jedamum » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:40 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
sleepy wrote:So should go or should not go for training?

if u can afford and really think GEP is good for your kid, then why not?

But like I said b4, they should be already doing rather well and also showing they can grasp higher level concepts easily.

sleepy,
i agree with Nebbermind.
you know your kids best. if you think she just need a little practice to kick start her engine ie can grasp higher level of concepts and able to multi-task etc, why lose to other 'artificially-prep' GEP kids?
my husband said it is easier to hope to strike 4D than hope our kids get into GEP (our 'gene' pool all from mainstream) :sweat:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:55 pm

sunflowermom wrote:
LOLMum wrote:
MisterTalkCock wrote:
SHEESH.

MTC, what make u think that I am the one who harassed and stalked your dear friend?
What make you think that there isn't any GE Branch/MOE/TNPS school teacher (or even teachers from the schools you applied DSA) reading this forum?
Don't waste your previous time here trying to be a 'hero'.

OK everyone, this bickering of who's right or wrong should cease now as this is not the real issue here.

I am reading all these with some concern. This GEPper girl in the discussion seems to have 2 very different personas based on what has been described by different people and she may be under stress now...and how extensive, to be determined by a pro. For a more constructive action, whoever knows her well and really care enough for her to defend her here, it would be best to understand why she behaves so differently from her normal docile self (pent up?). She may need someone professional to talk to and please take the symptoms seriously and provide the necessary help. Leaving her alone to continue to vent on the FB with vulgarities is not a solution at all. It may just breed a potential dual (split) personality.

Also, I do not believe any of you want us to lock up the GEP thread due to this non-constructive bickering.

Postby stressedmother » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:08 pm

Totally agree with you

stressedmother
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ngbrdad » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:51 pm

Did the GE branch revise the SS syllabus ?
DS2 is doing twinning at NHPS so he is doing the same SS syllabus with the GE kids.
Just saw the assignment for his second P4 SS portfolio and I was shocked.
So much more complicated compared to DS1's assignment 2 years ago.

I am thankful that for a twinning student his SS is not going to be graded.

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Chenonceau » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:53 am

AntiGEP wrote:And parents shouldnt involve in their talk (FB)..even their children share their P/W with them...parents can view and check on it and shouldnt get too involve..

Ummm... I can't quite agree here, you know. It is the parent's responsibility to teach children internet safety, and that includes ways to project a socially responsible presence online. This is important because employers and scholarship boards do trawl the net for information about the people they hire and/or award. Indeed, there are companies that exist for the sole purpose of compiling curriculum vitae from internet trails... an alternative curriculum vitae that companies trust more than that put in by the applicant.

I don't think this young lady is going to undergo a name change. If that is so, she runs the REAL risk that her online indiscretions bear negatively upon choice opportunities that would come her way in future, because employers will google and find her. Happily, people in this thread (including Sunflowermum) have responsibly NOT mentioned her name here so that this thread will not be found in future google searches. If her name were here, it WILL be found, because this thread has a very high hit rate.

Looked at another way, Sunflowermum has prevented the young lady from harming herself further in REAL ways. A little bit of anonymous heat on this thread is nothing compared to the pain of losing a desired life opportunity (a scholarship... a job) later. This is something to be thankful for.

Furthermore, what sunflowermum did was socially responsible in that it has

(1) communicated to a whole cohort of GEPpers (not just to Miss XXXX) that vulgar behavior is not socially acceptable even if it exists. After all, there are people in this REAL world who bathe in drains, eat leftovers from restaurants, and have sex next to rooftop water tanks... but is that a lifestyle we wish to emulate?

(2) protected the girl from further damaging her own online presence.

I too used to check out my kids' facebook account. Once in a while I sound out some warnings to them. For example, remove your tag from the photo that features the risque joke scrawled on the classroom board. Facebook, as a company, is no respecter of personal privacy. I learnt one day that all the photos you upload are Facebook's intellectual property. You really can't tell what Facebook will choose to do with all that they own of you. Why place your reputation and your life in the hands of a company that doesn't care for you in the least? My kids have learnt to be careful with the parts of their life which they put into the public domain... photos, writings... And these days, I no longer bother to check on them because I know that they know how to be safe. It takes time to conduct checks. I do it because I care. I can think of more fun things to do than conduct checks.

Also, it isn't easy for another parent to reach out and pull another parent's child back from the edge of a precipice, as Sunflowermum did with Miss XXXX here. But if Sunflowermum had kept quiet, the one most hurt will not be Sunflowermum, nor her child... but Miss XXXX herself. Even if a report was made to the school, so what? Would Miss XXXX's school teachers place this as a bad mark on her record? I doubt it. A school, more than any other entity, is aware of their role in counselling and educating and giving 2nd chances. A school knows full well that it is dealing with children, not criminals. Indeed, note that Hwa Chong didn't keep Jonathan Wong's foray into the female toilet on record. It is likely that the school would counsel and guide, and clean her record. However, what Miss XXXX has herself placed on the internet will stay there forever. Account deactivation is not account deletion. Facebook deletes nothing. If Sunflowermum had not intervened, then Miss XXXX would continue to dig her own grave on the internet by posting more and more vulgarities.

It seems that Miss XXXX's parents have not quite succeeded in providing their child the necessary guidance in internet safety so a report made to the school would allow teaching and counselling professionals to help this child. Else, we should thank Sunflowermum for already providing this guidance.

Note also that Sunflowermum could have revealed Miss XXXX's name on this thread... and that would have pushed poor little Miss XXXX over the edge of the precipice in her experimentation with vulgarity (because what goes online, stays in cyberspace and could come back to haunt her in 15 years time, when she would probably have become an upstanding citizen and seeking to fill a well paying job vacancy in a prestigious organisation that values propriety and high morals). Instead, Sunflowermum was unsure what to do and she asked for advice from parents here (and she was careful to leave Miss XXXX's name out of her postings)... That kids have joined in the discussion is beside the point. This thread is where parents seek advice from each other, and the way I see it, I don't view Sunflowermum's posts as harassment nor flaming but a genuine request for advice from other people... chiefly because she refused to divulge Miss XXXX's real name.

In conclusion, it is a parent's responsibility to check their kids' Facebook accounts and gently guide their charges towards internet safety. This is what Sunflowermum has done. I see nothing wrong with it.

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Rosie » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:39 am

Chenonceau,
Thank you for such a :goodpost:. Will definitely show what you have written to my child.

Rosie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres