35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby ZacK » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:17 pm

jedamum wrote:
MMM wrote: there is never a guarantee that if you are a top student, you will definitely have a brighter future.

I was a top student. And now I'm a sahm. Is that a bright future?

I'm sure for many having a bright future equates to success.

For me, success is subjective and has a different meaning for different people... My success is measured in terms of:
- The level of happiness with my life.
- The level of love that is reciprocated by the people who means a lot to me.
- The ability to maintain the lifestyle that I have envisaged for my family and I.

So even if I cant stay in a 10,000 sq ft bungalow and drive a fancy Ferrari car... I know I can be successful becos that is not what I'm after :wink:

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ZacK » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:18 pm

tamarind wrote:
jedamum wrote:
MMM wrote: there is never a guarantee that if you are a top student, you will definitely have a brighter future.

Getting a good hubby who can earn enough so that you can have the luxury to stay at home, is also a very bright future :lol:

Hmmm if that is your definition... Then my wife will never have a "bright future"!!! :oops: :P

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:21 pm

Just something to share, when I did my part time degree, there was at least 2 guys in the room who are 50 yrs & above. All very established in their career : ) But yes, it's not easy and a huge challenge.

Next year, my co can sponsor me for MBA but I am still having thots if I really want to do that. It's like I could have use that time to guide my own kids in their studies esp with 2 in pri school..... Sometimes it's a personal choice and knowing what you want and what works best.

ZacK wrote:
MMM wrote:But I'm not really that young anymore... So cant compete wif the grads with qualifications... )

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ZacK » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:36 pm

MMM wrote:Just something to share, when I did my part time degree, there was at least 2 guys in the room who are 50 yrs & above. All very established in their career : ) But yes, it's not easy and a huge challenge.

Next year, my co can sponsor me for MBA but I am still having thots if I really want to do that. It's like I could have use that time to guide my own kids in their studies esp with 2 in pri school..... Sometimes it's a personal choice and knowing what you want and what works best.

No worries... For me learning is a continuous process regardless of our age... If we do not learn new things/skills... We would be regressing because requirements are not stagnant thus possibility of being made redundant.

I do not preclude the possibility of pursuing tertiary qualifications later... Just thot that the professional papers would give me more mileage at the moment ;) ... My next class starts from Sep 08 till Mar 09 8)

So to go back to the main topic... I wont be overly particular abt my son's grades when he is schooling... I'll probably follow CKS and let my son decide (part of empowerment) should he be nominated to try for the GEP. Because the journey/learning process is continuous... As long as he continues to keep learning new things/skills... I'm sure he'll be successful :D

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:00 pm

ZacK wrote: should he be nominated to try for the GEP.

Is GEP test based on nomination? i have the impression that all kids will be given a chance to opt for taking or not taking. can anyone confim?[/i] cos everyone i know with a P3 kid all taking exam on 23 aug.

Postby ZacK » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:31 pm

ks2me wrote:
ZacK wrote: should he be nominated to try for the GEP.

Is GEP test based on nomination? i have the impression that all kids will be given a chance to opt for taking or not taking. can anyone confim?[/i] cos everyone i know with a P3 kid all taking exam on 23 aug.

Oops... I stand corrected on the nomination... I simply assumed it to be so. However unlikely that all kids will be given a chance to take the GEP testing IMO.

ZacK
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tamarind » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:22 am

ZacK wrote:
tamarind wrote:
jedamum wrote:

Getting a good hubby who can earn enough so that you can have the luxury to stay at home, is also a very bright future :lol:

Hmmm if that is your definition... Then my wife will never have a "bright future"!!! :oops: :P

I think there are many definitions of a bright future. It all depends on what happiness means to a person.

Being an SAHM is happiness for many women. These mommies are willing to give up their financial freedom to stay at home to look after their kids. To them, watching their kids grow up is happiness.

Of course there are also many women who are happy to work full time, and have someone else look after their kids for them, so that they can continue to enjoy the financial freedom. Then there are also many mommies who have no choice but to work to help support the family.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby EN » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:28 am

Hi

I was one those students who excel in sports & oratorical competition when I was in primary school. I remembered that I feel good about winning. But reality comes quickly when I was pushed to compete between schools. At a young age, I realized that there are others better than me. At that time, I was not sad for not being able to do as well. The experience humbles me & makes me fine tune what I am lacking.

Back to the subject of GEP, I think it is good for the kids to take especially for those who are bright. We as parents should be there to provide guidance and support when our kids fall.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby EN » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:47 pm

Hi

A side track here a bit. I'm not sure how many parents born on year 71 or 72 were requested to sit for Math & English paper when they were P3. I remember at that time the teacher assured us that it was not an exam nor was it a test paper. We were informed that the papers were to select students who are good to compete in competition. Funny thing though, I accidentally chance upon my primary school report book yesterday. I saw in the "personal particular" section on my report book a note written on the page stating 78/79/GEP followed by a series of numbers just below it.

GEP was not implemented then. But I am curious how many parents born in the year of 71 or 72 have to sit for such papers when they were P3 & how many has similar reference stated in their primary school report book.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Experience with GEP

Postby NJmom » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:34 am

[Moderator's note: Topics merged.]

Hi, I am a newbie here. My daughter has been selected to take the Screening Test for GEP. We would like to find out from other experienced parents how their children cope with GEP before deciding if she should take the test. Many thanks.

NJmom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge