35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby Chenonceau » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:37 pm

phtthp wrote:can advise my friend ? ... Thanks v much!

my friend's son (P3 this year) at Henry Park - if offered a GEP place, is it better to stick to HPPS, or transfer him to Nanyang, since both are GEP centres ?

Tao Nan GEP has a great Principal... Consider? http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... =1&t=24554

Chenonceau
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:55 pm

my friend's son (P3 this year) at Henry Park - if offered a GEP place, is it better to stick to HPPS, or transfer him to Nanyang, since both are GEP centres ?

Wow, your friend is so confident, already planning ahead :wink:

If logistic is not an issue, between Henry Park & Nanyang, I suppose Nanyang is the most prized school in Bukit Timah area

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby CMF » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:15 pm

The GEP program would be the same in all the GEP centres. Both HPPS and Nanyang are co-ed & have no affiliated sec school. In my view, there is no difference being in either school, perhaps would come down to convenience of location of school, what sort of school culture is preferred and any perception that one may have on which school has a "better" teaching methodology?

CMF
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Otah » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:26 am

Zann wrote:
For those who do not want to participate, do they need submit "option out" of the form? Can't remember how it was like last time.

Fren said she has torn the form and not to participate in this screening.

Otah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jtoh » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:27 am

The GEP curriculum is the same across all 9 centres, so there's no difference which centre you go to. The difference lies in the ethos and culture of the school.

One thing to bear in mind - kids who are selected for GEP are given the option to choose which centre to go to on their selection form. If you are from an existing GEP centre, you are given priority to go back to the SAME GEP centre. Therefore, IF your friend's son opts for HPPS, he'll get HPPS. But he may not get NYPS if he opts for it, especially as NYPS is very popular. Anyway, all this will be discussed at the GEP briefing for those selected. I think your friend's planning a bit too far ahead especially as he hasn't even gone for the screening test yet.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby ngbrdad » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:52 am

The kid would prefer to stay at Henry park for sure since his friends are there. Should be able to fit into the GEP programme much better also without change of environment.
So I would recommend staying put at HP.

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby comfy » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:19 pm

Ask your friend how she find the teachers in HP? If they are great and she & her son are comfortable with them, then I recommend that she let her son stay in HP. Ultimately, the teachers play a very impt role in teaching/nurturing the kids. Personally I find the teaching style of some GEP teachers in NYPS problematic and not suitable for my DD. Although the content of materials/tests the same, the methods, mindset of teachers and approaches are different. Hence not all GEP kids will benefit from the GEP prog. I have my grievance since selecting NYPS as the GEP sch for my DD. Hope that next year teachers will be better.

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby fruitplus » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:31 pm

ngbrdad wrote:
hexagon wrote:DS's SS teacher gave them a list of topics to study for the SS prelims -:
i) Our Education
ii) Our Industries
iii) Our Transport
iv) Future Problem Solving
v) SEA

Check with your DS, he should have a list too with details on the areas to be tested on. 2 more weeks to go and looks like a lot to cover.

Just got the notice from DS.
The best thing is there is no notes/handouts for all these topics.
How to study ?

From DS past few years's experience, it seems to help by going thru the Sec 3's History assessment book (I bought the CASCO's one if I remember correctly) for P6's SS.

Sec 1 History - P4 SS
Sec 2 History - P5 SS
Sec 3 History - P6 SS

The answers required for SS in P4/P5/P6 is much shorter and much less in-depth compare to History in Sec 1/2/3. But for revision purpose, the topics, main points and summary covered in the assessment book seems to help in SS's exams in P4/5/6.

P.S. Zann may be able to share her experience with you. I shared with her about the CASCO History assessment book either last year or the year before.

fruitplus
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby vlim » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:03 pm

:thankyou: fruitiplus :please:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby HDistinction » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:13 pm

CMF wrote:

The GEP program would be the same in all the GEP centres. Both HPPS and Nanyang are co-ed & have no affiliated sec school. In my view, there is no difference being in either school, perhaps would come down to convenience of location of school, what sort of school culture is preferred and any perception that one may have on which school has a "better" teaching methodology?

Fr what I know, NYPS students can get in NYG & HC with lower PSLE score. I asked "if I shd let mine went NYPS or Tao Nan" bef...finally decided to let mine got into NYPS.

HDistinction
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres