35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby comfy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:26 am

creativityxoxo wrote:Parents that pay thousands of dollars to try to get their children into GEP:
Yes, GEP is a coveted programme.
Yes, GEP allows your dd/ds to be able to have a higher chance of getting into an IP school.
But bear in mind that the programme is immensely challenging. Your child will have to juggle tonnes of projects and lots of HW and at the same time prepare for the all-important PSLE. And if you PUSH for your child to get into GEP by loads of tuition classes, ask yourself: Will he/she be cope? Will he/she be able to manage?
If he/she cannot, then it will seriously jeopardize his PSLE score!

So, the best thing to do is to just let your child take the GEP tests. If he/she is gifted, he/she will get in. If he/she is not so gifted, then he/she won't. It's for the best, trust me. This is spoken by a mummy who has experience of being a GEP mummy! (it's not easy!)

How is your child coping? I understand that some kids don't do well but still very happy in the GEP prog.

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby fruitplus » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:05 pm

htn wrote:
fruitiplus

Hi, what is the title of the assessment book?Who is the author?How does the cover looks like?
Thanks

Sorry for the late reply. I didn't log on to this website for the past few days...

So sorry I can't give you the title of the assessment books, I think we have recycled them.

I remembered the book is green colour, but my DS said is Blue. The publisher is CASCO, there is a few cherry-like fruits on the book cover. It is in A5 size.

As my DD is 3 years older than DS, I just happened to browse thru her history text books and realized that quite a number of topics are similar in her Sec 1 text book when DS was in P4.

I think any Sec History assessment book that provide a summary for each topic will help as these children are very smart.

DS manage to get a Distinction in SS [or the teacher give chance?? :lol: ] in P6 although his overall was just 78.8%. So I think the assessment book did help.....

fruitplus
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby fruitplus » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:15 pm

I found my old messages to Zann last year (and it is 11 Aug 2011!!)
It is called History Study Guide by CASCO -- bought from Popular book store.

fruitplus
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ngbrdad » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:24 pm

fruitplus wrote:I found my old messages to Zann last year (and it is 11 Aug 2011!!)

Thanks but I think it's different from what will be tested for the final SS prelims.

The topics seem more to do with Geography plus some social studies, not much historical aspects.

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hexagon » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:16 am

ngbrdad wrote:
fruitplus wrote:I found my old messages to Zann last year (and it is 11 Aug 2011!!)

Thanks but I think it's different from what will be tested for the final SS prelims.

The topics seem more to do with Geography plus some social studies, not much historical aspects.

Hi ngbrdad,

Unit 4/chapter 4 of Casco History study guide for Sec 2 has some relevant topics for the SS prelims.

Unite 4 is about The Nation building years 1965-1971. It includes Housing, Education, Industrialisation among others which are in the topics being tested for the coming SS prelims. It has some notes in point form and sample MCQ and short ans questions.

There is also another History book (sec 2) by Cosco similar to the above guide book but there are exercises with quotations and the students are ask questions based on the quotes which is similar to the format of their exams.

Not sure if it is worth it to buy the books cos only one chapter is relevant for this exam. However, DS1 browse through the whole book cos it was interesting (esp WW II and Jap Occupation....anything to do with War.....boys!) and easy to read.

I find SS textbook 6A and 6B too brief. Notes and handouts given by their teachers are better revision materials. Also not forgetting their tests papers which will give you a good indication of the style and types of questions.

Two more days to go. All the best to your DS.

hexagon
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ngbrdad » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:59 am

hexagon wrote:
ngbrdad wrote:

Hi ngbrdad,

Unit 4/chapter 4 of Casco History study guide for Sec 2 has some relevant topics for the SS prelims.

Unite 4 is about The Nation building years 1965-1971. It includes Housing, Education, Industrialisation among others which are in the topics being tested for the coming SS prelims. It has some notes in point form and sample MCQ and short ans questions.

There is also another History book (sec 2) by Cosco similar to the above guide book but there are exercises with quotations and the students are ask questions based on the quotes which is similar to the format of their exams.

Not sure if it is worth it to buy the books cos only one chapter is relevant for this exam. However, DS1 browse through the whole book cos it was interesting (esp WW II and Jap Occupation....anything to do with War.....boys!) and easy to read.

I find SS textbook 6A and 6B too brief. Notes and handouts given by their teachers are better revision materials. Also not forgetting their tests papers which will give you a good indication of the style and types of questions.

Two more days to go. All the best to your DS.

Thanks.

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KSP » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:22 am

8228 wrote:My dd just brought back the form for GEP Screening test last night. The test will be on Aug 24 (Wed), English 9 am - 10.15 am and Maths 11 am - 12:30 pm.

Anyone know when the result of 1st round GEP screening test will be released and how (by mail or thru school)?

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:29 am

KSP wrote:
8228 wrote:My dd just brought back the form for GEP Screening test last night. The test will be on Aug 24 (Wed), English 9 am - 10.15 am and Maths 11 am - 12:30 pm.

Anyone know when the result of 1st round GEP screening test will be released and how (by mail or thru school)?

Results will be released through school.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby KSP » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:41 am

jtoh wrote:
KSP wrote:

Results will be released through school.

that wiil be how long after the 1st test?

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:57 am

KSP wrote:
that wiil be how long after the 1st test?

think they will just inform u to go for 2nd screening test if u r shortlisted.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP