Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby mommyNg » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:14 am

cluelessmom wrote:
jedamum wrote:i told my son to just try la. if cannot get into GEP, when the GEP students get transferred out of the school, his position ranking in school will move up! whahaha....

:rotflmao: It's true leh.......

True leh... my cousin's dd did not sit for the GEP test. Her major "opponents" went through and transferred out. I think she used to be 3rd or 5th in standard, now she's the 1st! Good for morale boosting and self-esteem!!

mommyNg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:42 am

mommyNg wrote:
cluelessmom wrote:
jedamum wrote:i told my son to just try la. if cannot get into GEP, when the GEP students get transferred out of the school, his position ranking in school will move up! whahaha....

:rotflmao: It's true leh.......

True leh... my cousin's dd did not sit for the GEP test. Her major "opponents" went through and transferred out. I think she used to be 3rd or 5th in standard, now she's the 1st! Good for morale boosting and self-esteem!!

But everyone in school would think that she got first only because big fish got transferred out.

No offence :siam:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:59 am

sleepy wrote:
mommyNg wrote:
cluelessmom wrote:

But everyone in school would think that she got first only because big fish got transferred out.

Doesn't matter. The boost to the girl's confidence would be enormous and she may even do better at PSLE than the former top students. :)

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jedamum » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:10 am

sleepy wrote:

but if she is surrounded by well-meaning friends and her hardwork is visible to one and all (and if she is not those snobbish-type which is usually the first to get nasty remarks), i'm sure more people/students will congratulate and be happy for her achievement and look up to her with the positive mentality that hardwork pays too even if one is not gifted.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby mommyNg » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:17 am

jtoh wrote:
sleepy wrote:

Doesn't matter. The boost to the girl's confidence would be enormous and she may even do better at PSLE than the former top students. :)

Yeah, and 1st is 1st mah... undeniable fact, so what.. heh heh, may be now even better, because the school will put their hope on her to become the top PSLE student! :lol: And she may have a lot more opportunities to represent the school for competitions and take on leadership roles, e.g. head prefect. Sometimes we call it the big-fish-small-pond effect...
:wink:

mommyNg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:28 am

Yes, yes, I completely understand where you ladies are coming from :smile: :wink:

Just that I have been hearing similar comments from other parents during prize presentation every year. That the 'better' ones all got transferred out, that's why waited for so many years school still can't produce a single psle scholar :sweat:

okay okay, I zip now, please don't :torchme: me :nailbite:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:32 am

mommyNg wrote:Yeah, and 1st is 1st mah... undeniable fact, so what.. heh heh, may be now even better, because the school will put their hope on her to become the top PSLE student! :lol: And she may have a lot more opportunities to represent the school for competitions and take on leadership roles, e.g. head prefect. Sometimes we call it the big-fish-small-pond effect...
:wink:

OT, but similarly, i am already seeing it happening in my boy's school right after the end-of-P2 streaming. With the top bunch being clustered into the same class in P3, the others in other classes are now given opportunity to shine, represent class, take on roles which otherwise would have been given to the top few students in the class. not to forget end of the year prize presentation.
similarly, those who topped their classes in P1&2 have to accept the fact that they may no longer top P3 onwards. however, if we teach them to look at the big picture (ie PSLE and the journey of learning), not to engage in unhealthy competition among peers, they will grow to appreciate and learn how to strive in a different environment.
MHO.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sleepy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:36 am

jedamum wrote:those who topped their classes in P1&2 have to accept the fact that they may no longer top P3 onwards.

Why le :scratchhead:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:42 am

ksi wrote:Not that true in some schools because with the vacancies they will be able to transfer in some cream of the crop from other schools who have been waiting to enter the school. We have some of these cases where the top students in other schools transfer in and they outshine some of the top class students....that is reality.

my (joking) words to my boy is basing on the fact that his is a neighbourhood school. i do believe that with the vacancies, the 'cream of the crop' from other countries waiting to enter any school in singapore, are the ones who will likely outshine some of their school's top students (as far as i know of already, a few of the school's PSLE top students are not local - based on the sound of their names).

yes. that is reality. i'll let him know when the time comes la.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jedamum » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:46 am

sleepy wrote:
jedamum wrote:those who topped their classes in P1&2 have to accept the fact that they may no longer top P3 onwards.

Why le :scratchhead:

alamak.
there are 7 classes of P2. and only 1 'top' P3 class after streaming. there will bound to be some top P2 students who could not get top3 position in the P3 class after streaming. you get what i mean?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres