Postby TwaTau » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:06 pm

You can get further information from the MOE website:

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/program ... programme/

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: All About GEP

Postby Just4Good » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:52 pm

Well, then I got it wrong. It is Vocab and about the 'worry more for the exams' thing, I know that. The GEP test is smack right between the CA2 exams so I have to deal with both. At least it's over now. :smile:

Just4Good
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby SAHM_TAN » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:56 am

I have a question about GEP but not sure how to phrase it. It's like exercising helps to keep the body fit and healthy. Is GEP good for the kids who are accepted?

I mean parents who have been through it or parents with kids who have been through it, does it benefit their lives so to speak. I know I'm probably not being very clear in my question. It's like, does it just benefit the academic aspect or will it translate to something more later in their life?

We study to learn and later for the paper qualification to enter the job market. Is the GEP just to ensure that the top 1% of the cohort does not get bored and able to learn at a level equal to their abilities?

Why am I posting this qn? It's something that I've never experienced and I've not thought about it till I have kids going to primary school. Now I find myself rather curious about it. TIA

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Flowermonaster » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:09 pm

Hi SAHM_mum, my DS is in GEP so I can only comment based on my own point of view. I can't say that my DS will have great achievement in his future by being in GEP. His future is still unknown. What I know is that if he is not in GEP, he will not be happy in his previous school and will definitely affect his academic result. He got bored and tried to get out of class by finding excuses like going toilet and will go to the furthest toilet he can find. I was not aware of this until his form teacher told me during parent-teacher in P3. So when he got selected, he insisted he wanted to go and even chose the school himself!

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:39 pm

Thanks flowermonaster for sharing. Was your DS bored for 3yrs in school?

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Flowermonaster » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:12 pm

SAHM_TAN wrote:Thanks flowermonaster for sharing. Was your DS bored for 3yrs in school?

Since P1 he dislike going to school but I just dismissed it as adjusting stage since it's his first formal school. Furthermore, he got chicken pox and reported late to school. His form teacher was not helping much to get him adjusted too.
P2 he got a retired teacher as form teacher who didn't teach much in class. While the teacher spent time teaching the weaker students, he spent his time reading story books in class! As his school result was not affected, I did not suspect anything! I only got to know about it at the end of the year! :stupid:
P3 he got transferred to the top class. Still dislike school but I do not know how I can help him to enjoy school. His mid year school result still ok though not as good as P1 & 2, but it's still within the top 5 in the whole P3 cohort. But I could sense that he was not really interested in his study. He refused to do any assessment books and tends to procrastinate when it comes to school work. I tried talking to him, encourage him and even bribe him with no result. His overall position in school dropped to 9th at the end of P3! :cry:
One more thing I noticed about him is that he don't seems to be able to find friend who can click with him! I guess that also explained why he dislike school.
I cannot imagine how bad it will be if he did not get into GEP. Hence, I am really grateful to this program. He is currently enjoying his school life & finally! :love:

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:44 pm

Flowermonaster wrote: He is currently enjoying his school life & finally! :love:

Is it competitive among kids in GEP class?
Or all happy go lucky don't bother about comparing grades?

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:47 pm

sleepy wrote:
Flowermonaster wrote: He is currently enjoying his school life & finally! :love:

Is it competitive among kids in GEP class?
Or all happy go lucky don't bother about comparing grades?

I think more or less like what happen in mainstream class...some will compete with one another while some bochap..and some trying hard to cope with the gep works.. :roll:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TwaTau » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:54 pm

Flowermonaster wrote:One more thing I noticed about him is that he don't seems to be able to find friend who can click with him! I guess that also explained why he dislike school.

I notice that part as well, difficulty in communicating with other kids, because the kind of things they share sometimes maybe incomprehensible. However, once they are in GE classes, they seems to have found the right listening ears.

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby SAHM_TAN » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:56 pm

Dear flowermonaster,

Am glad that your DS is enjoying school and I can see from your experience that GEP has helped your DS to enjoy learning in school.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP