35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby TwaTau » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:58 pm

sleepy wrote:Is it competitive among kids in GEP class?
Or all happy go lucky don't bother about comparing grades?

They know who are the strong and weak one in class. It depends on the child, for my DS, even he is aware, he can't be bother.

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Flowermonaster » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:25 pm

TwaTau wrote:

They know who are the strong and weak one in class. It depends on the child, for my DS, even he is aware, he can't be bother.

Hi TwaTau, Mine too. They don't really compare marks or bother by it. Even if there is competition it was done in a healthy manner, unlike his previous school. My DS is the bochap type. As long as he is happy, I am happy. :love:

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TwaTau » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:47 pm

Flowermonaster wrote:
TwaTau wrote:

Hi TwaTau, Mine too. They don't really compare marks or bother by it. Even if there is competition it was done in a healthy manner, unlike his previous school. My DS is the bochap type. As long as he is happy, I am happy. :love:

Good for you and your DS. Main thing is for them to have a happy childhood and a love for study and school.
The comparing part is usually coming from us parents, because for GEP, they don't have ranking, and we kancheong parents really don't know where they stands and our insecurity on whether they are really doing well.

TwaTau
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby 25hr mama » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:04 pm

My dd is in p4 gep. Below is my recent conversation wif her:-

Me: Mummy like to ask u a question. What wud ur answer be if I were to ask "do u want to go back to ur old school?"

Dd: errrr..... I dunno.....

Me: Let me rephrase my question. "do u want to switch from Gep back to mainstream?"

Dd: No way. (this was answered without hesitation)

Me: why so?

Dd: Things i learn in Gep r much more interesting & challenging.

I'm glad my dd has made the right decision (her own), & is happy wif where she is now. But I think she still misses her old school & classmates, that explains the uncertainty when asked the 1st question.

25hr mama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Flowermonaster » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:11 pm

TwaTau wrote:Good for you and your DS. Main thing is for them to have a happy childhood and a love for study and school.
The comparing part is usually coming from us parents, because for GEP, they don't have ranking, and we kancheong parents really don't know where they stands and our insecurity on whether they are really doing well.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. Initially I was worried that he cannot cope since he is the bochap type. His worst nightmare in P4 was filing & getting organized! I wasn't aware about the 80% and above Thingy until I joined KSP. So, I am happy as long as he attain at least 80% in overall and for each subject above the mean mark. That, to me is good enough as I don't need him to top the class. :smile:

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Flowermonaster » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:25 pm

25hr mama, glad that your DD is enjoying herself! I had about the same conversation with my DS when he was in P4. The only difference is:
Me:" Would you like to go back to your previous school?"
DS: "NO..." (replied instantly)
Me: "then you better work hard...." (I couldn't resist that) :wink:

25hr mama wrote:My dd is in p4 gep. Below is my recent conversation wif her:-

Me: Mummy like to ask u a question. What wud ur answer be if I were to ask "do u want to go back to ur old school?"

Dd: errrr..... I dunno.....

Me: Let me rephrase my question. "do u want to switch from Gep back to mainstream?"

Dd: No way. (this was answered without hesitation)

Me: why so?

Dd: Things i learn in Gep r much more interesting & challenging.

I'm glad my dd has made the right decision (her own), & is happy wif where she is now. But I think she still misses her old school & classmates, that explains the uncertainty when asked the 1st question.

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby comfy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:46 pm

Flowermonaster wrote:
TwaTau wrote:Good for you and your DS. Main thing is for them to have a happy childhood and a love for study and school.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. Initially I was worried that he cannot cope since he is the bochap type. His worst nightmare in P4 was filing & getting organized! I wasn't aware about the 80% and above Thingy until I joined KSP. So, I am happy as long as he attain at least 80% in overall and for each subject above the mean mark. That, to me is good enough as I don't need him to top the class. :smile:

I will be most happy if there are no 70% baseline or 80% marks in their 2 common tests& 1 major exam(which by the way, are very heavy & impt. components) . Just let them be assessed more on their projects, daily/weekly assignment and attitude, contributions etc.

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:18 am

comfy wrote: I will be most happy if there are no 70% baseline or 80% marks in their 2 common tests& 1 major exam(which by the way, are very heavy & impt. components) . Just let them be assessed more on their projects, daily/weekly assignment and attitude, contributions etc.

diff parents diff expectation. baseline for me is a good guide as to how my kid is faring while he busied himself with the GEP activities. Ultimately, it's the PSLE that counts. But still, if he is able to DSA to the school of his choice, then I guess will be less stressed during the psle. But still have to fight for the EESIS and third lang options so cannot fall so far behind.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phtthp » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:07 pm

what does EESIS stand for ?

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 25hr mama » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:11 pm

Hi everyone. Wud appreciate if anyone cud tell me, whether there is a minimum psle t-score required for Gep kids who have been DSA accepted. That is, will their DSA be cancelled if the kids do not perform well enough? Thanks in advance.

25hr mama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres