Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby Zann » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:33 am

Zann wrote:
Herbie wrote:The worksheet on the 7 island was given a few days ago.. my dd just asked her daddy how to solve the qn... there are still other worksheets on age which is more down to earth i am not sure whether these worksheet are considered as investigation maths, I am still trying to figure out.

Was there a GEP logo on the 7 island worksheet? :wink:

Herbie, so far we did not have 7 island worksheet. Some schools do give their own worksheets rite? not sure if yours is GEP or school base? Any GEP logo on it?

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Herbie » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:06 pm

sorry, i don't keep track of how they teach maths at tll. Btw, gg tuition does not gurantee good result.

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby comfy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 pm

JenniferHJ wrote:TLL isn't necessary for your child, all it does is let your child practise the questions. It isn't a very smart way to spend your money, perhaps you could spent it on SMOPS Practice books instead? But all in all it still depends on your child's current level. Do normal assessment books to improve overall skills, but start working on Olympiad Math Problems for heuristic development.
This is speaking from experience, was a GEP Student 06-08 with Math marks that were higher than fellow classmates who went TLL. In the end the top students for Math never attended any Math Tuition. :P
For other subjects, perhaps TLL could be of help. Their english course helps if you are in a good tll class. Science is pretty good as well. For Chinese practice makes perfect.
Being in GEP is tough, but part and parcel of your child's journey to success. Thanks parents for your unwavering support, and hope that helped!:)

Thanks for your advice. I think I send her to TLL for EL first and monitor her progress. As for Math, I will heed your suggestion but don't know whether the SMOPS practice books come with solution.

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sleepy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:48 pm

vlim wrote: Actually I also think likewise as TLL might not be following closely what gep maths syllabus is doing .. As for English and science , TLL might help .. :smile:...

comfy wrote: I think I send her to TLL for EL first and monitor her progress. As for Math, I will heed your suggestion but don't know whether the SMOPS practice books come with solution.

How about Mindstretcher? Heard any feedback?
They have GEP/High Achiever class. Really following GEP syllabus?

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:51 pm

Hi comfy,
I think if your dd is weak in gep maths, I would think it is best to talk to your dd maths teacher first. I think most gep school will have remedial or supplementary class for those weak in maths or otherwise discuss with the teacher see how to improve... Frankly speaking I do not think doing maths olympaids will help much with gep maths but It will help if she participate in 'aths olympaidss ..... Jmho.. :roll:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:12 pm

sleepy wrote:
vlim wrote: Actually I also think likewise as TLL might not be following closely what gep maths syllabus is doing .. As for English and science , TLL might help .. :smile:...

comfy wrote: I think I send her to TLL for EL first and monitor her progress. As for Math, I will heed your suggestion but don't know whether the SMOPS practice books come with solution.

You can try call Mindstretchet... Their co founder mr Alvin is from RI. He also teaches in the centers but don't know which subject... I think It would be good if u can ask to speak to him.. :roll: My dd was with the centre last yr taking English ... But left due to some reasons ...

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Flowermonaster » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:32 pm

sleepy wrote:

I don't think Mindstretcher has GEP tuition for current GEP students hence they don't follow GEP syllabus. What they have are classes for the High Achiever. However, they do have GEP prep class, but how it is & whether it really help to get kids into GE, I don't know.

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Flowermonaster » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

vlim wrote:
JenniferHJ wrote:TLL isn't necessary for your child, all it does is let your child practise the questions. It isn't a very smart way to spend your money, perhaps you could spent it on SMOPS Practice books instead? But all in all it still depends on your child's current level. Do normal assessment books to improve overall skills, but start working on Olympiad Math Problems for heuristic development.
This is speaking from experience, was a GEP Student 06-08 with Math marks that were higher than fellow classmates who went TLL. In the end the top students for Math never attended any Math Tuition. :P
For other subjects, perhaps TLL could be of help. Their english course helps if you are in a good tll class. Science is pretty good as well. For Chinese practice makes perfect.
Being in GEP is tough, but part and parcel of your child's journey to success. Thanks parents for your unwavering support, and hope that helped!:)

:thankyou: Jennifer for sharing with us, the parents, your views. Actually I also think likewise as TLL might not be following closely what gep maths syllabus is doing .. As for English and science , TLL might help .. :smile:...
But I think those geppers who did fairly well in Maths, might not perform well in Maths Olympaids and according to my ds MO qns are different from school maths qns..

Hi Jennifer & Vlim, I totally agreed with you on TLL Math tuition. Don't waste your time & money going there. If the kids have prob with Math, do encourage him/her to approach the Math teacher.

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby JenniferHJ » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:09 pm

Yes, please approach the teachers, they aren't there for nothing!(:

JenniferHJ
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby mommyNg » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:13 pm

JenniferHJ wrote:For other subjects, perhaps TLL could be of help. Their english course helps if you are in a good tll class.

Thanks JenniferHJ. Which is a good tll class for English? Thanks!

mommyNg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres