35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby comfy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:51 pm

JenniferHJ wrote:Yes, please approach the teachers, they aren't there for nothing!(:

Hi JenniferHJ, I totally agree with you. That why I didn't send her for any math enrichment after the may PT meeting as the Math teacher said that my dd needs to attend remedial lessons. Bascially I don't agree with the teacher's teaching style and she admits that she can go very fast as she is a very experience teacher. So what can I say but to see how the remedial lesson can help her. But to my disappointment, the teacher was on MC and cancel one lesson, hence not much revision on her weak subjects but just teach new subjects and can not ask questions that is outside of the teaching problems as she said that will not be fair to other students that do not attend her remedial class. Can only see her furing recess time but how to as students at shortage of time to eat, rest and due to late release from previous lesson teacher. I can see very little progress or no progress in her math. So the teacher feedback the same remark again in her Term3 report. I am at my wit end, try to help her but find it rather tough, so most likely going to outsource but try EL first.
So you see, approach teacher provided the teacher is supportive and make you feel welcome. I thought a good teacher will approach stds if stds don't approach her. Just my opinion, I might be simple-minded in thinking like that. Remedial lessons to my dd seems of no help. So to me, teacher in this case is REALLY of no help and I think great for students who don't need her help. :smile: Really ironic.
Last edited by comfy on Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby vlim » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:25 pm

comfy wrote:
JenniferHJ wrote:Yes, please approach the teachers, they aren't there for nothing!(:

Hi JenniferHJ, I totally agree with you. That why I didn't send her for any math enrichment after the may PT meeting as the Math teacher said that my dd needs to attend remedial lessons. Bascially I don't agree with the teacher's teaching style and she admits that she can go very fast as she is a very experience teacher and somemore an oly. trainer. So what can I say but to see how the remedial lesson can help her. But to my disappointment, the teacher was on MC and cancel one lesson, hence not much revision on her weak subjects but just teach new subjects and can not ask questions that is outside of the teaching problems as she said that will not be fair to other students that do not attend her remedial class. Can only see her furing recess time but how to as students at shortage of time to eat, rest and due to late release from previous lesson teacher. I can see very little progress or no progress in her math. So the teacher feedback the same remark again in her Term3 report. I am at my wit end, try to help her but find it rather tough, so most likely going to outsource but try EL first.
So you see, approach teacher provided the teacher is supportive and make you feel welcome. I thought a good teacher will approach stds if stds don't approach her. Just my opinion, I might be simple-minded in thinking like that. Remedial lessons to my dd seems of no help. So to me, teacher in this case is REALLY of no help and I think great for students who don't need her help. :smile: Really ironic.

or maybe u can try sourcing for private maths tutor who is familiar with teaching gep maths.. :smile:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby comfy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:44 pm

vlim wrote:
comfy wrote:

Hi JenniferHJ, I totally agree with you. That why I didn't send her for any math enrichment after the may PT meeting as the Math teacher said that my dd needs to attend remedial lessons. Bascially I don't agree with the teacher's teaching style and she admits that she can go very fast as she is a very experience teacher. So what can I say but to see how the remedial lesson can help her. But to my disappointment, the teacher was on MC and cancel one lesson, hence not much revision on her weak subjects but just teach new subjects and can not ask questions that is outside of the teaching problems as she said that will not be fair to other students that do not attend her remedial class. Can only see her furing recess time but how to as students at shortage of time to eat, rest and due to late release from previous lesson teacher. I can see very little progress or no progress in her math. So the teacher feedback the same remark again in her Term3 report. I am at my wit end, try to help her but find it rather tough, so most likely going to outsource but try EL first.

or maybe u can try sourcing for private maths tutor who is familiar with teaching gep maths.. :smile:

Vlim, I actually did look into this aspect and I manage to find one from KSforum by chance but he is full booked. It is really difficult to find one that is really familiar with teaching Gep maths, you know. How I wish my dd is good in math then can be a private GEP math tutor in future and earn $$$.
Last edited by comfy on Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Herbie » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:59 pm

hi comfy, please check yr PM.

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TREX8 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:03 pm

Just to share my DD's experience with Math at TLL.

DD's weakest subject is Math. At P4 GEP, she was below class average and near bottom. We had a discussion with her teacher and agreed that DD doesn't have a flair/aptitude for math. So she needs a longer time to grasp certain concepts and to know how to approach questions during tests/exams. Not having enough practise on GEP type of questions is also an issue.

So we started with Math at TLL at start of P5 as TLL seems to know the GEP curriculum well. DD is the conscientious type and will complete all the worksheets given by TLL. Her math improved to around class average as she has more practise and could work on her speed with the worksheets given in TLL class. I suppose there is only that much that TLL can do since DD's strength is not in Math and definitely, to her, GEP Math is challenging (although quite alot of her classmates find GEP Math easy).

She continued with TLL at P6 and did surprisingly well for her P6 GEP SA, getting above class average for the first time. We stopped after June as DD could cope with mainstream/PSLE math.

So, I think TLL might suit kids who need tuition in math. In fact, amongst DD's classmates who go to TLL, most are there for the English programme. DD seems to be the only one whose there for the Math programme.

I do have my grouse with TLL - the admin aspect, their inability to offer replace/makeup for Math GEP classes that DD has to miss.

In fact, when there was a change in teacher when DD was in P5, I tried to look for alternatives. I've tried making enquiries at Mindstretcher but was told that their High Ability Math (or GEP class) merely is just exposing kids to more challenging problems but do not follow the GEP curriculum.

The above is just based on my personal experience. At the end of the day, what suit one kid might not suit another, and vice versa. So we have to look at a match between what the centre can offer/set out to achieve and the child's needs.

TREX8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby JenniferHJ » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:39 pm

Hi mommyNg, better classes probably include some of your child's classmates, and have more GEP Students. Sometimes tll doesn't have enough space, and may put your child at a less advanced class, where classes will proceed slower and perhaps less efficiently. Not sure about the locations of the lessons now, but in my time (06-08) better classes are situated in New York and not-so-good ones in Geneva.[: (The classrooms are named after cities just fyi)
I didn't do that well for English for PSLE, studied too hard for Science. But PSLE should be fine as long as your marks are above 270.
(Just realised my Pri Sch has added an extra GEP class, haha)

JenniferHJ
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby JenniferHJ » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:48 pm

Yea just in reply to TREX8's message, TLL's Math Tuition will help if your child starts with a slightly below average foundation, but will not prepare your child for the really challenging problems, so it may be hard to achieve top in class with tll alone. (For SMOPS Questions, if needed your child can attend enrichment classes @ MathHub or MathsOasis I guess.)
This is a shout-out to all GEP parents, usually the students that do well in Secondary School aren't just good in all subjects, but have a niche that distinguishes themselves from the rest of the student population. Perhaps you could start giving your child extra enrichment for interested subjects so they can perform exceptionally well in Sec School and go to RA classes (For RI and RGS). (Not v sure about other IP schools sorry) I'm kinda science and math-ish, so my focus on that in Pri Sch gave me a head start in Secondary School. Same goes for my Humanities-loving classmates. (But being good in all subjects is extremely important as well)

JenniferHJ
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby r2010 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:49 pm

Hi vlim

Do u mind sharing the reasons for leaving. You can pm me. I am actually considering registering my son p3 in mind strecther English I am considering between tll or mind strecther thanks :shrug:

r2010
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby comfy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:15 am

JenniferHJ wrote:Hi mommyNg, better classes probably include some of your child's classmates, and have more GEP Students. Sometimes tll doesn't have enough space, and may put your child at a less advanced class, where classes will proceed slower and perhaps less efficiently. Not sure about the locations of the lessons now, but in my time (06-08) better classes are situated in New York and not-so-good ones in Geneva.[: (The classrooms are named after cities just fyi)
I didn't do that well for English for PSLE, studied too hard for Science. But PSLE should be fine as long as your marks are above 270.
(Just realised my Pri Sch has added an extra GEP class, haha)

Hi JenniferHJ, since you mentioned your time (06-08) and just like to share with you and my dd did quite well for a math paper in your time but not in the current time. Standard of GEP math has increased quite alot but not dd's gift in math. Sigh... this is fact and I have not consider when putting her in GEP. If she was born 5 or 6 six years ago, then perhaps I might not need to send her for tuition. What to do, now have to play catch up or let her get borderline grade. Common test and exam grades are still very impt in GEP like in mainstream no matter what they said about totally enrichment, projects work etc are relevant. Sometimes I wonder it might be better for the GEP centre just select those top positions in schools for GEP prog. since they value and emphasise so much on grades and don't really teach the kids in my dd's case (assuming they are smart enough). Ps. this is how I feel but not saying all GEP teachers are like that.

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby comfy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:25 am

TREX8 wrote:Just to share my DD's experience with Math at TLL.

DD's weakest subject is Math. At P4 GEP, she was below class average and near bottom. We had a discussion with her teacher and agreed that DD doesn't have a flair/aptitude for math. So she needs a longer time to grasp certain concepts and to know how to approach questions during tests/exams. Not having enough practise on GEP type of questions is also an issue.

So we started with Math at TLL at start of P5 as TLL seems to know the GEP curriculum well. DD is the conscientious type and will complete all the worksheets given by TLL. Her math improved to around class average as she has more practise and could work on her speed with the worksheets given in TLL class. I suppose there is only that much that TLL can do since DD's strength is not in Math and definitely, to her, GEP Math is challenging (although quite alot of her classmates find GEP Math easy).

She continued with TLL at P6 and did surprisingly well for her P6 GEP SA, getting above class average for the first time. We stopped after June as DD could cope with mainstream/PSLE math.

So, I think TLL might suit kids who need tuition in math. In fact, amongst DD's classmates who go to TLL, most are there for the English programme. DD seems to be the only one whose there for the Math programme.

I do have my grouse with TLL - the admin aspect, their inability to offer replace/makeup for Math GEP classes that DD has to miss.

In fact, when there was a change in teacher when DD was in P5, I tried to look for alternatives. I've tried making enquiries at Mindstretcher but was told that their High Ability Math (or GEP class) merely is just exposing kids to more challenging problems but do not follow the GEP curriculum.

The above is just based on my personal experience. At the end of the day, what suit one kid might not suit another, and vice versa. So we have to look at a match between what the centre can offer/set out to achieve and the child's needs.

Hi Trex8, I am truly thankful to you for sharing this. What you have shared is what I was looking (parent who is in the same/similar situation as me). You have gave me and my dd's hope. And now I have clearer idea on what to do to help her. Thanks very much.

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge