Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby jtoh » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:50 pm

comfy wrote:[
Your dd is so fortunate as this is first time I heard of such thing. How I wish my dd's school has such testing and every GEP teacher is like that. Just my luck or her less of luck to get into such school and a teacher who said that it is up to me (as parent) to decide whether to engage tuition for my dd. Yes there is remedial lesson but not of much use as it didn't help much and it the same for quite a no. of students who attend the same remedial lessons (not much improvement in the results). This teacher should do some 'serious thinking' :stupid: but I have yet to see that. Just keep feeding back the same remark/comment like previous term. If she is a dedicated teacher she should realise something is wrong and do something. Seriously hope that next year my dd will get your dd's kind of teacher, someone really against tuition and can think of ways to help the kids.

Sorry to hear that your dd's teacher isn't very good. I thought this was common practice among all GEP teachers. I guess my dd was lucky to have had mostly dedicated GEP teachers.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby comfy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:51 pm

jtoh wrote:Hi comfy, do you really need a math tutor who's experienced in GEP math? Can't a regular math tutor who teaches lower secondary and is familiar with primary school syllabus do the job as well? I'm just thinking that a good math tutor should be able to look at your child's worksheets and work out a programme for her. Good luck in finding a tutor for your dd.

I thought it is better as he/she will understand what the child is facing. Yes, definitely I don't mind engaging one but it is really hard finding one. Infact, I got one thru recommendation from my friend but sad to say, it doesn't work out. Try for about 2 months. Really frustrated and that is another story. So difficult to find, so decide to get advices from supporting parents here and very grateful that I have some sound advices and encourgement from all of you.....thanks Herbie, Trex8, Vlim, JenniferHJ and Jtoh, of course.

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby comfy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:56 pm

PiggyLalala wrote:Maybe you can introduce algebra to your child. I have this feeling ( though I may be wrong) that most GE pupils eventually used algebra to solve the word problems (especially when they reach in P6.)

Ha.. did try that too. But it is not simply, infact the 2 months tutor try to introduce to my dd without much success. Algebra as I found out also including the understanding of operation laws.(hope that I am using the right term). So not so direct and some problems not suitable for algebra.... can be very confusing and complicated.

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby comfy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:57 pm

jtoh wrote:
comfy wrote:[
Your dd is so fortunate as this is first time I heard of such thing. How I wish my dd's school has such testing and every GEP teacher is like that. Just my luck or her less of luck to get into such school and a teacher who said that it is up to me (as parent) to decide whether to engage tuition for my dd. Yes there is remedial lesson but not of much use as it didn't help much and it the same for quite a no. of students who attend the same remedial lessons (not much improvement in the results). This teacher should do some 'serious thinking' :stupid: but I have yet to see that. Just keep feeding back the same remark/comment like previous term. If she is a dedicated teacher she should realise something is wrong and do something. Seriously hope that next year my dd will get your dd's kind of teacher, someone really against tuition and can think of ways to help the kids.

Sorry to hear that your dd's teacher isn't very good. I thought this was common practice among all GEP teachers. I guess my dd was lucky to have had mostly dedicated GEP teachers.

May I know which school and how long ago?

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jtoh » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:03 pm

comfy, check your PM.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby comfy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:14 pm

jtoh wrote:comfy, check your PM.

Jtoh, I have also pm you.

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby vlim » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:46 pm

smurfette3 wrote:
vlim wrote:Hi firefly38,
My p6 ds didnt have tuitions except for chinese. My p3 dd is with TLL taking English since beginning of this yr. Yet to see great improvement from her exam results as all the while her English results is slightly above average. But she loves attending TLL English lessons and loves the teacher. But in long run it should be beneficiary to her looking at the things they were taught :smile:

Hi vlim,

So did you coach her for her math? I do not know what to do for ds. He is also getting demoralized by his math marks and he says he is near the bottom of the class.

Hi smurfette3,
I did not coach my ds since he get into gep. When he was p1-p3, I still coached him when he came across challenging qns on past yrs exam papers.
From the beginning of p4 gep, he refused to let me help him in his maths as he said tt the teacher told them is ok that they don't know how to do, she will teach them in class...Anyway the qns also too challenging for me to handle :wink: ..Nevertheless, luckily, he is able to cope well with his maths himself and learn from his teacher...
But now I am worrying for my p3 dd who isn't good in Maths..Old mummy here got to learn how to solve maths qns liao.. :sweat:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:49 pm

comfy wrote:
jtoh wrote:Hi comfy, do you really need a math tutor who's experienced in GEP math? Can't a regular math tutor who teaches lower secondary and is familiar with primary school syllabus do the job as well? I'm just thinking that a good math tutor should be able to look at your child's worksheets and work out a programme for her. Good luck in finding a tutor for your dd.

I thought it is better as he/she will understand what the child is facing. Yes, definitely I don't mind engaging one but it is really hard finding one. Infact, I got one thru recommendation from my friend but sad to say, it doesn't work out. Try for about 2 months. Really frustrated and that is another story. So difficult to find, so decide to get advices from supporting parents here and very grateful that I have some sound advices and encourgement from all of you.....thanks Herbie, Trex8, Vlim, JenniferHJ and Jtoh, of course.

You are welcome comfy :smile:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:19 am

smurfette3 wrote:Hi vlim,

So did you coach her for her math? I do not know what to do for ds. He is also getting demoralized by his math marks and he says he is near the bottom of the class.

Then, like comfy, u may like to start looking for an ideal tuition centre or private tutor for your son now. Is he p4 Gep this yr?

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phtthp » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:18 am

you mean if a child in GEP class, he cannot attend those normal Maths tuition centre, but die die ... must find those special GEP Maths tuition class ?

is GEP Maths curriculum so different from mainstream Maths curriculum ? if Yes, how much far off, and in what kind of Maths topics ? can give example(s) ?

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres