Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby Herbie » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:07 pm

hi zann,
the island and bridge worksheet is a gep worksheet it is labelled at I5.

Anyone knows which are the topics to be tested in the upcoming sci sa 2 for p5 gep?

Thanks!

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby PiggyLalala » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:32 pm

comfy wrote:
JenniferHJ wrote:Yes, please approach the teachers, they aren't there for nothing!(:

Hi JenniferHJ, I totally agree with you. That why I didn't send her for any math enrichment after the may PT meeting as the Math teacher said that my dd needs to attend remedial lessons. Bascially I don't agree with the teacher's teaching style and she admits that she can go very fast as she is a very experience teacher. So what can I say but to see how the remedial lesson can help her. But to my disappointment, the teacher was on MC and cancel one lesson, hence not much revision on her weak subjects but just teach new subjects and can not ask questions that is outside of the teaching problems as she said that will not be fair to other students that do not attend her remedial class. Can only see her furing recess time but how to as students at shortage of time to eat, rest and due to late release from previous lesson teacher. I can see very little progress or no progress in her math. So the teacher feedback the same remark again in her Term3 report. I am at my wit end, try to help her but find it rather tough, so most likely going to outsource but try EL first.
So you see, approach teacher provided the teacher is supportive and make you feel welcome. I thought a good teacher will approach stds if stds don't approach her. Just my opinion, I might be simple-minded in thinking like that. Remedial lessons to my dd seems of no help. So to me, teacher in this case is REALLY of no help and I think great for students who don't need her help. :smile: Really ironic.

hi comfy,
I can sense your anxiety over your dd's maths and english result. But please do not be overly panick or conclude that your dd is not suitable for GEP or that the GEP program is no good. I have seen a number of GEP students who did not do very well in P4 but have improved in P5 and P6. My ds1 enjoyed his 3 years stay in GEP and made many wonderful friends.

I think one reason that your dd did not do well in maths is because of the teacher. The teacher's teaching maybe too fast and your dd cannot understand her teaching. In this case, you can find a good tutor for her to understand the basic concept. Once she grasps the basic concept and has the confidence, she will do better in Maths.

Alternatively, you could coach her and monitor the progress yourself. My ds1 has no Maths tuitiion and he is not those who are gifted in Maths. In fact, he does not really like Maths. I used to look through his Maths Worksheets. The questions are not very tough. Some topics, like LCM and HCF, are sec 1 topics. ( but they are not tough) So if your dd is weak in this topic, you may want to look through the sec 1 assessment book.

The GEP maths also include the mainstream Maths questions. You may want to buy the exam papers from other schools and look for similar GEP sums for your dd to work on. You may want to buy the onsponge Maths maybe the P5 and P6 for your dd to practice.

If i did not remember wrongly, P4 Gep maths include investigative questions ( with constant difference only ), area and perimeter; combination and permutation (also secondary topics), etc. Combination and permutation sums can be found in some of the maths olympic books too.

Always make sure that your child do all the daily worksheets and all the past year exam questions given by the school too.

As for english and science, I know many go to the learning lab.

Just some of my own experience. Hope you do not mind.

PiggyLalala
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby comfy » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:07 pm

PiggyLalala wrote:hi comfy,
I can sense your anxiety over your dd's maths and english result. But please do not be overly panick or conclude that your dd is not suitable for GEP or that the GEP program is no good. I have seen a number of GEP students who did not do very well in P4 but have improved in P5 and P6. My ds1 enjoyed his 3 years stay in GEP and made many wonderful friends.

I think one reason that your dd did not do well in maths is because of the teacher. The teacher's teaching maybe too fast and your dd cannot understand her teaching. In this case, you can find a good tutor for her to understand the basic concept. Once she grasps the basic concept and has the confidence, she will do better in Maths.

Alternatively, you could coach her and monitor the progress yourself. My ds1 has no Maths tuitiion and he is not those who are gifted in Maths. In fact, he does not really like Maths. I used to look through his Maths Worksheets. The questions are not very tough. Some topics, like LCM and HCF, are sec 1 topics. ( but they are not tough) So if your dd is weak in this topic, you may want to look through the sec 1 assessment book.

The GEP maths also include the mainstream Maths questions. You may want to buy the exam papers from other schools and look for similar GEP sums for your dd to work on. You may want to buy the onsponge Maths maybe the P5 and P6 for your dd to practice.

If i did not remember wrongly, P4 Gep maths include investigative questions ( with constant difference only ), area and perimeter; combination and permutation (also secondary topics), etc. Combination and permutation sums can be found in some of the maths olympic books too.

Always make sure that your child do all the daily worksheets and all the past year exam questions given by the school too.

Thanks PiggyLalala for your encourgement. I am not saying the GEP prog. is not good is just that I didn't realised certain things and I will have make a wiser choice. Anyway, my dd is in it & I just have to support her. Yes, I can give her papers to do and 'coach' her but really lack of time, Gep kids have assignments, reseach for topics,CCA and projects. Hence what I trying to say is then what is the point of sending her for Math lessons (for this instance) in school if I am doing the job of Math teacher. By all means, my dd like the prog and enjoy it too. Is just that she don't know that the academic results have an impact on her future secondary school like someone sharing in the DSA forum, after 3 yrs of working hard in GEP prog and obtaining < 80% score and cannot get into dream school. It is really tough be a GEP parent. IMHO.

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby PiggyLalala » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:12 pm

comfy wrote:

Thanks PiggyLalala for your encourgement. I am not saying the GEP prog. is not good is just that I didn't realised certain things and I will have make a wiser choice. Anyway, my dd is in it & I just have to support her. Yes, I can give her papers to do and 'coach' her but really lack of time, Gep kids have assignments, reseach for topics,CCA and projects. Hence what I trying to say is then what is the point of sending her for Math lessons (for this instance) in school if I am doing the job of Math teacher. By all means, my dd like the prog and enjoy it too. Is just that she don't know that the academic results have an impact on her future secondary school like someone sharing in the DSA forum, after 3 yrs of working hard in GEP prog and obtaining < 80% score and cannot get into dream school. It is really tough be a GEP parent. IMHO.

It wont be always like that. Next year, she would have better teachers. :)

PiggyLalala
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby comfy » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:18 pm

PiggyLalala wrote:
comfy wrote:

It wont be always like that. Next year, she would have better teachers. :)

thks, yap, next year should get better teachers, :xedfingers: if not, I should know what to do (mental prepare already).

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby smurfette3 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:26 pm

vlim wrote:Then, like comfy, u may like to start looking for an ideal tuition centre or private tutor for your son now. Is he p4 Gep this yr?

Hi vlim,

He is in P4 GEP this year and doing worse than most of his peers. He used to
like maths but now he is rather demoralized. I have not given him tuition and like you I used to guide him from P1-3. But not I realize I cannot help him with the maths in GEP. I heard of some centres that are not bad but my friends there do not have kids in GEP so not sure if it would work for my son. A bit stressed now as I do not want him to feel this way so early in his education.

Any suggestions of what centres work for GEP kids struggling in maths?

smurfette3
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby vlim » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:38 pm

Hi smurfette3,
It would be best if u are able to source for a private tutor who is familiar with gep maths. Otherwise u may like to try the learning lab maths since some says are useful, like trex8 dd... Afterall practice makes thing more perfect especially for maths... Else if TLL doesn't work for your ds then u may like to try Mindstretcher .. Emm at least with this tuition he might at least do well for his psle :roll: :xedfingers: ... As what we have mentioned earlier it would be best to have a word with his maths teacher and see what help can the teacher provide ...
By the way is he strong in his languages? Some geppers are good in languages but no good in maths..

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smurfette3 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:21 am

Hi vlim,

For TLL, I heard their math is rather difficult, I gather then that it is GEP std? His Chinese is all right. His english is ok, averagish too. He could be stronger in his languages. I don't expect him to do fantastically well for his math, just do not want him to feel he is not doing well. In his case, I do not put any pressure on him, he puts pressure on himself.

I may bring him to TLL to try. Sigh and I thought I could do with as little tuition as possible.

smurfette3
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby vlim » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:29 am

smurfette3 wrote:Hi vlim,

For TLL, I heard their math is rather difficult, I gather then that it is GEP std? His Chinese is all right. His english is ok, averagish too. He could be stronger in his languages. I don't expect him to do fantastically well for his math, just do not want him to feel he is not doing well. In his case, I do not put any pressure on him, he puts pressure on himself.

I may bring him to TLL to try. Sigh and I thought I could do with as little tuition as possible.

Well if he is no good with Gep maths, it is good to try TLL so that he will be exposed and have more practice on challenging maths....

Heard from my ds tt during the p4 gep first or second ct maths, many of them couldn't finish the papers in time and heard some cried probably they never experience such diff papers before and all the while in p1-3, their maths result most likely were perfect or near perfect scores ...

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smurfette3 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:50 am

vlim wrote:Well if he is no good with Gep maths, it is good to try TLL so that he will be exposed and have more practice on challenging maths....

Heard from my ds tt during the p4 gep first or second ct maths, many of them couldn't finish the papers in time and heard some cried probably they never experience such diff papers before and all the while in p1-3, their maths result most likely were perfect or near perfect scores ...

Maybe I will try TLL, good to let him try more challenging maths. My boy came back and when I asked him about his paper, he started tearing. He got a shock after always doing well from P1-3. Thank you for sharing, I feel more assured now after reading your posts.

smurfette3
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP