Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby vlim » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:11 am

smurfette3 wrote:
vlim wrote:Well if he is no good with Gep maths, it is good to try TLL so that he will be exposed and have more practice on challenging maths....

Heard from my ds tt during the p4 gep first or second ct maths, many of them couldn't finish the papers in time and heard some cried probably they never experience such diff papers before and all the while in p1-3, their maths result most likely were perfect or near perfect scores ...

Maybe I will try TLL, good to let him try more challenging maths. My boy came back and when I asked him about his paper, he started tearing. He got a shock after always doing well from P1-3. Thank you for sharing, I feel more assured now after reading your posts.

You are welcome smurfette3.
And if your ds has a good and understanding form teacher... Do have a word with him/ her. My ds is lucky to have v nice form teacher so far. I remembered when my ds was in p4, one of his classmates mum also raised her concerned to the form teacher as her dd cried tt she did not do well for her maths ct unlike when she was in p1-3. The form teacher was v nice and understanding and told the mum tt getting top score is not v important , as important thing is to have attitude towards her works ... Thereafter I believed the teacher did have a word with the girl. I believe all gep schools have assigned teacher councillor to monitor tt the kids are not under too much stress. Correct me if i am wrong.
I think my ds had told me tt in p4, the teacher councilor whom was his form teacher then had individually spoken to the them about how they feel about their work and other stuffs ....

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TREX8 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:22 am

My DD was one of those who cried after the first Math CT in P4 GEP. She's now in P6 and has come to realise that she can't be good at everything and GEP Math is a subject that she needs to work hard at.

Personally, I view this positively as DD can understand better other students' frustration in not being able to handle some subjects as she herself goes through the same frustration with her inability to handle Math, unlike her classmates who find Math so easy. This serves as a humbling experience for her and she can better empathise with her other friends, especially those who are not academically inclined.

For me, it is not realistic to expect GEP kids to excel in all subjects as each has his/her own talent area. As long as DD can maintain an overall of 80% (which is important for DSA) and as long as she can handle mainstream papers (as she eventually needs to take psle), I am ok.

vlim wrote:
smurfette3 wrote:Hi vlim,

For TLL, I heard their math is rather difficult, I gather then that it is GEP std? His Chinese is all right. His english is ok, averagish too. He could be stronger in his languages. I don't expect him to do fantastically well for his math, just do not want him to feel he is not doing well. In his case, I do not put any pressure on him, he puts pressure on himself.

I may bring him to TLL to try. Sigh and I thought I could do with as little tuition as possible.

Well if he is no good with Gep maths, it is good to try TLL so that he will be exposed and have more practice on challenging maths....

Heard from my ds tt during the p4 gep first or second ct maths, many of them couldn't finish the papers in time and heard some cried probably they never experience such diff papers before and all the while in p1-3, their maths result most likely were perfect or near perfect scores ...

TREX8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jtoh » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:52 am

Sometimes we think (and the general populous thinks) that because our kids are in GEP they excel in all subjects. I remember talking to my dd's form teacher and she said that few GEP kids excel in ALL subjects. You have the math geniuses, the language experts, the science talents. You also have someone who scores 99-100 in every Math exam but fails Chinese, or the English top scorer who also represents the school in Debate competitions who just can't handle Math. Then there are those who are clearly gifted, but are not motivated to study so score poorly at exams.

So long as the kids are happy and enjoying what they're learning, and if they're able to maintain high 70s or >80%, we should be happy.

Just my two cents worth. :)

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MotherHen » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:14 am

Yes my DD was also one of those who cried after the Math End-of-Year exams in P4. It can be stressful as they spend so much time on projects that I sometimes feel that they do not have enough time for practice and revision.

DD's confidence dropped as she felt that she wasn't as "smart" as the Math geniuses or the Science whizzes in her class. So just a few months ago, she started tuition. I wouldn't say I've seen a drastic improvement, but she is now more calm, not as panicky. And mummy here is not as stressed. I tell her to just try her best and aim for the 80% mark, no need to be the top girl in the class. To me, tuition gives her a bit of constant revision, and gives her reassurance.

For some challenging math problems, you can also get the A* Math Problem assessment books from Learning Interactive in Bras Basah Complex. The books are divided into thin booklets on separate topics, and all come with full solutions.

MotherHen
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby comfy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:51 pm

Just chat with my dd and ask her how she feel. First time, feel like crying, 2nd time, check with her close friend and find out that her mark around the same, feel ok. I think having a 'same mark group' companion helps in her ego. Smurfette3, I think it is good that your ds feel the pressure as I think most geppers are like that, so that he will want to better himself. You just have to encourage him gently and support him in what areas he need like sending him for enrichment courses etc.

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Zann » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:19 am

8228 wrote:P5 Test schedule:

Sep 21 Investigation Maths
Sep 22 & 23 EL & CL Oral
Oct 3 HCL I (Compo)
Oct 4 EL I (Compo) & EL II
Oct 10 SS
Oct 11 HCL II
Oct 12 Science, EL Listening
Oct 13 Maths Paper 1 & 2

HCL Listening - no date yet

Anyone knows what are the social studies and science topics to be tested in this SA? There seems no HCL Listening ...

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Flowermonaster » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:26 am

Hi Zann, not exactly sure about the topics but my kid was told to revise all topics taught from P4 to P5 for science.

Zann wrote:
8228 wrote:P5 Test schedule:

Sep 21 Investigation Maths
Sep 22 & 23 EL & CL Oral
Oct 3 HCL I (Compo)
Oct 4 EL I (Compo) & EL II
Oct 10 SS
Oct 11 HCL II
Oct 12 Science, EL Listening
Oct 13 Maths Paper 1 & 2

HCL Listening - no date yet

Anyone knows what are the social studies and science topics to be tested in this SA? There seems no HCL Listening ...

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smurfette3 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:43 pm

Thank you everyone for your advice. I do not feel so overwhelmed now. By the way TREX8, you mentioned getting 80% but if my son's math is very poor, it will poor the overall down then cannot get 80%.

smurfette3
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby PiggyLalala » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:39 pm

smurfette3 wrote:Thank you everyone for your advice. I do not feel so overwhelmed now. By the way TREX8, you mentioned getting 80% but if my son's math is very poor, it will poor the overall down then cannot get 80%.

Not to be too worried. Your son's Maths will improve over time. Make sure that he goes through all the mistakes that he has made in the test and not to repeat them in SA2. Also try to find out why did he do badly for the Maths Test. Is it because he could not understand the teacher's teaching; the paper is too tough; Insufficient time to finish; carelessness; or lack of practise? Find out the cause and 对症下药,he will improve :)

Set also small achieveable target for each subject depending on his strength and weakness. Slowly guide him to the overall 80%. You still have the time. Yr ds is only in P4. :)

PiggyLalala
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smurfette3 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:55 pm

Thank you PiggyLalala,

I am very glad to hear that he still has time, this holidays I am going to really get him outside help and will also guide him a lot. I heard TLL is good for math, do you have any other recommendation?

smurfette3
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres