Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby PiggyLalala » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:17 pm

smurfette3 wrote:Thank you PiggyLalala,

I am very glad to hear that he still has time, this holidays I am going to really get him outside help and will also guide him a lot. I heard TLL is good for math, do you have any other recommendation?

I really do not know about tuition centres as my ds did not attend any Maths tuition. I think the more popular ones for GEP students are TLL and Mindstretcher. However, in all tuition centres, there are some teachers that are better than others. So it would be good to find out who are the better teachers in the centre and put your child with that teacher. :) all the best.

PiggyLalala
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby smurfette3 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:53 pm

Thanks again PiggyLalala, your ds must be very good not to need tuition. We will have to do some legwork again. Just settled his chinese and english earlier this year and now need to work on math. :roll:

smurfette3
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby vlim » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:26 pm

Hi Zann,
I think is more appropriate to post my reply to your quiry here.

Social Studies p6 gep

CT1(20%) , PORTFOLIO 1 (10%), GROUP PORTFOLIO (20%) ,
PORTFOLIO 2 (10%) & PRELIM (40%)

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Zann » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:48 pm

vlim wrote:Hi Zann,

Social Studies p6 gep

Thanks Vlim. So CT1 is purely test result and exclude filing ?

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby vlim » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:40 pm

Zann wrote:
vlim wrote:Hi Zann,

Social Studies p6 gep

Thanks Vlim. So CT1 is purely test result and exclude filing ?

I think so ... Never know tt Ss filing got marks :wink:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TREX8 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:22 pm

smurfette3, for my DD, her strong subjects are English, Social Studies and Science. So she typically gets way above class average for these subjects. Her MT is not consistent, hovering between average and above-average.

So overall, she still managed to maintain above 80% from P4 to P6.

I'm sure your DS has some strong areas. Focus on doing well in these areas as it would boost his confidence. At the same time, see how best to help him improve on his weak subjects. Work with him to see what form of help would he prefer (eg. getting tutor, attending enrichment centre, seeking out teacher/classmates etc)

smurfette3 wrote:Thank you everyone for your advice. I do not feel so overwhelmed now. By the way TREX8, you mentioned getting 80% but if my son's math is very poor, it will poor the overall down then cannot get 80%.

TREX8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

What would you do? A Request from a GEPer

Postby TakeKFCHome » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:50 pm

Hello, I'm a student from Henry Park Primary and I'm from the GEP. I wanted to ask everybody here, if you are a parent, how long do you let your children play computer games and what would you do if they were addicted. Thanks, and stay tuned, as I'll be asking more questions. :torchme:

TakeKFCHome
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: What would you do? A Request from a GEPer

Postby Flowermonaster » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:44 pm

TakeKFCHome wrote:Hello, I'm a student from Henry Park Primary and I'm from the GEP. I wanted to ask everybody here, if you are a parent, how long do you let your children play computer games and what would you do if they were addicted. Thanks, and stay tuned, as I'll be asking more questions. :torchme:

Hi TakeKFCHome, if all homework were completed I will give my DS up to 9:30pm & max 2hrs. That means if he finished his work at 9pm, he can only play for 30mins. If he finished earlier, he gets to play 2 hrs.
During exam period, he don't get to play computer games at all. Instead, I encourage him to relax by listening to music, or read his comic books or any other books that interest him.
If he has signs of addiction, I will remind him the consequences of being addicted to computer games. I know this method don't really work well so I have to lay down my rules on computer games. Eg, as long as his result got affected, computer games are out of bounce to him permanently. This is effective for my DS as he feels that he is given a choice.

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: What would you do? A Request from a GEPer

Postby Lynn2010 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:10 pm

TakeKFCHome wrote:Hello, I'm a student from Henry Park Primary and I'm from the GEP. I wanted to ask everybody here, if you are a parent, how long do you let your children play computer games and what would you do if they were addicted. Thanks, and stay tuned, as I'll be asking more questions. :torchme:

Knowing that you are addicted to something and would like to find ways to cope is a good start.

My dd (GEP) does not have the habit of playing comp games during weekdays, this is inculcate since young. They can play on weekends when they have completed their work or the work for the day, maximum 2 hrs as it is bad for the eyes. In most cases, they have forgotten about playing games and end up listening to songs or read.

If you are addicted, my advise is to speak to your parents and ask them to put away (lock up) your computer games so that you cannot have accessed to it. You can play during weekends and restrict yourself to maybe 1 or 2 hrs (max) each day. Or you play only during school holidays. In no time, you will forget all about it. I'm sharing on the basis that I was once addicted to computer games too.

If your games are on your computer and you need your computer to do work, i believe (since you are an addict), every time you 'touch' your computer, you will want to turn to the comp games (my dd used to addicted to Neopets for a while - so i understand). In this case, speak with your parents. Your parent will need to look over your shoulder every time you use the computer, they should ensure that you use computer to do only school work and nothing else. My dd has forgotten all about Neopets now.

You can do it!! Hope above helps

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Herbie » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:39 pm

I heard from my dd that some parents expect their kids to achieve 85% even for common test. eg. the kid for scored like 34/40 for english and maths etc.

Otherwise their parents would scold them and some kids dun even dare to get the parents to sign the CT paper.

Sigh! Being in GE is already quite tough and the kid needs to take the stress from their parents.

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres