Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby Lynn2010 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:04 pm

vlim wrote:Hi smurfette3,
It would be best if u are able to source for a private tutor who is familiar with gep maths. Otherwise u may like to try the learning lab maths since some says are useful, like trex8 dd... Afterall practice makes thing more perfect especially for maths... Else if TLL doesn't work for your ds then u may like to try Mindstretcher .. Emm at least with this tuition he might at least do well for his psle :roll: :xedfingers: ... As what we have mentioned earlier it would be best to have a word with his maths teacher and see what help can the teacher provide ...
By the way is he strong in his languages? Some geppers are good in languages but no good in maths..

Hi smurfette 3,

I agree with vlim that ds will benefit from a private tutor than a class. A class will have to follow their syllabus (or lesson plan), whereas a private tutor can zoom in to what your ds cannot understand.

But please make sure that the tutor can teach at least lower sec math too. I remember teaching my dd simultaneous equation in P6 (for example).

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Lynn2010 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:11 pm

phtthp wrote:you mean if a child in GEP class, he cannot attend those normal Maths tuition centre, but die die ... must find those special GEP Maths tuition class ?

is GEP Maths curriculum so different from mainstream Maths curriculum ? if Yes, how much far off, and in what kind of Maths topics ? can give example(s) ?

Hi phtthp,

Unfortunately it is very different from the mainstream Maths curriculum. They pitch one or 2 level higher. At GEP P4, it is not so bad, from experience, they pitch at about P5. At P5, pitch around P6 and a little Sec 1 and P6 at Sec 1 or 2.

I hate their project or extended study or whatever they call it!!! I remember once she did this "Break the Code". I "break my brain" after 2 weeks and asked a relative who is a PHD holder to help her. He has to consult his professor who throws it back at him. He solved it for me in the end.

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Lynn2010 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:15 pm

vlim wrote:
smurfette3 wrote:
vlim wrote:Well if he is no good with Gep maths, it is good to try TLL so that he will be exposed and have more practice on challenging maths....

Heard from my ds tt during the p4 gep first or second ct maths, many of them couldn't finish the papers in time and heard some cried probably they never experience such diff papers before and all the while in p1-3, their maths result most likely were perfect or near perfect scores ...

Maybe I will try TLL, good to let him try more challenging maths. My boy came back and when I asked him about his paper, he started tearing. He got a shock after always doing well from P1-3. Thank you for sharing, I feel more assured now after reading your posts.

You are welcome smurfette3.
And if your ds has a good and understanding form teacher... Do have a word with him/ her. My ds is lucky to have v nice form teacher so far. I remembered when my ds was in p4, one of his classmates mum also raised her concerned to the form teacher as her dd cried tt she did not do well for her maths ct unlike when she was in p1-3. The form teacher was v nice and understanding and told the mum tt getting top score is not v important , as important thing is to have attitude towards her works ... Thereafter I believed the teacher did have a word with the girl. I believe all gep schools have assigned teacher councillor to monitor tt the kids are not under too much stress. Correct me if i am wrong.
I think my ds had told me tt in p4, the teacher councilor whom was his form teacher then had individually spoken to the them about how they feel about their work and other stuffs ....

Hi vlim,
My dd school has a councillor but i feel she is not very useful.

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Zann » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:16 pm

Herbie wrote:I heard from my dd that some parents expect their kids to achieve 85% even for common test. eg. the kid for scored like 34/40 for english and maths etc.

Otherwise their parents would scold them and some kids dun even dare to get the parents to sign the CT paper.

Sigh! Being in GE is already quite tough and the kid needs to take the stress from their parents.

Any P5 GE parent got back the Science expt paper or score already? How was it? My ds has not been told of anything about Sc expt yet. Ds din do well in Eng this time. Hcl 1 mark was deducted due to his 草书 for his corrected word. I looked at it, and find it not that 草 wat, just 1 stroke more 草 a bit only also must deduct 1 mark. 1 mark out of 60 is almost 2 marks. The marker is so so strict, not sure if this is the standard across the board. Or may be he/she dislike my ds :rant: Is that how some studetnts loose marks and fall below 85% ? :slapshead: :slapshead: They had begun Invest math practice, again can't bring home so dunno wat they do. But ds said no 7 island or 9 bridges leh...

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby comfy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:17 pm

Hi Lynn2010, what is this project 'break the code' thingie about? Hope that u don't mind talking about this "break your brain" assignment. Kind of worry, you know, I don't have a PHD relatives to help. P5 or P6 project?

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Lynn2010 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:22 pm

vlim wrote:
Herbie wrote:I heard from my dd that some parents expect their kids to achieve 85% even for common test. eg. the kid for scored like 34/40 for english and maths etc.

Otherwise their parents would scold them and some kids dun even dare to get the parents to sign the CT paper.

Sigh! Being in GE is already quite tough and the kid needs to take the stress from their parents.

ya ...I agree with you... :roll:

Poor kids!! Parents should then get partial blame for overlooked and let the ds or dd results slip. Hahaha!!

I blame myself first if my dd's result slip. I told myself i should have anticipated this and that. My believe "if a student fail, the teacher has to reflect himself/herself first before blaming the student". hehehe

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Lynn2010 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:27 pm

comfy wrote:hee hee that what the MOE said during the GEP briefing, genes from parents. But strange, neither me or hb are from gep lei.

Comfy,
Did you have the opportunity to take the P3 GEP Screening test? :lol: If so, may be they lost your paper. :evil:

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Lynn2010 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:32 pm

comfy wrote:Hi Lynn2010, what is this project 'break the code' thingie about? Hope that u don't mind talking about this "break your brain" assignment. Kind of worry, you know, I don't have a PHD relatives to help. P5 or P6 project?

It is P6. Something to do with some barcode thingy. If you guys really interested, i can share the actual assignment. I keep it for momento - a P6 assignment to be solved by a PHD holder. Xiao!! Apparently all my dd classmates cant do either. My dd has to teach them all after she got the solution from my relative. :slapshead:

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby comfy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:54 pm

Lynn2010 wrote:
comfy wrote:hee hee that what the MOE said during the GEP briefing, genes from parents. But strange, neither me or hb are from gep lei.

Comfy,
Did you have the opportunity to take the P3 GEP Screening test? :lol: If so, may be they lost your paper. :evil:

don't have such opportunity but always tell my dd in my moment of desperation that I should be in gep instead of her. hee...hee....an old adult doing P4 gep. Some of the stuffs esp math look like jc math? and the SS too. For math paper 1, I already has problems solving them in the required timeframe.

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby comfy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:57 pm

Lynn2010 wrote:
comfy wrote:Hi Lynn2010, what is this project 'break the code' thingie about? Hope that u don't mind talking about this "break your brain" assignment. Kind of worry, you know, I don't have a PHD relatives to help. P5 or P6 project?

It is P6. Something to do with some barcode thingy. If you guys really interested, i can share the actual assignment. I keep it for momento - a P6 assignment to be solved by a PHD holder. Xiao!! Apparently all my dd classmates cant do either. My dd has to teach them all after she got the solution from my relative. :slapshead:

ya, please share as I really don't want to go crazy and lose sleep over it. Thanks alot, whew! don't have to think hard about getting a PHD to solve. Is this a compulsory project for p6?

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP