55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby Herbie » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:28 am

Flowermonaster wrote:
Way2GO wrote:
comfy wrote:hee hee that what the MOE said during the GEP briefing, genes from parents. But strange, neither me or hb are from gep lei.

GEP was only implemented from 1984. :wink:

DH & me also not from GEP. We did not miss the boat, the boat was still in the drafting stage during our times. :rotflmao:
So, we never got to find out but I believed my DS got that genes from his dad as I'm hopeless with Math. :stupid:

I think my dd got my hb's gene cos my hb's sis and bro also has one ge kid respectively.

:rahrah:

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Flowermonaster » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:37 am

Herbie wrote:I think my dd got my hb's gene cos my hb's sis and bro also has one ge kid respectively.

:rahrah:

That proved that it's really in the genes! :love:

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:57 am

comfy wrote:now I really don't understand this mom. why must younger dd perform better than jie jie. Sometimes I wonder how parents can produce two gifted kids. It is interesting to know.

I know a few. And they're naturally 'gifted', ie no training involved.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jtoh » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:59 am

vlim wrote:Ya .. My dh said my ds got his genes whereas my dd has mine :skeptical:

Go hantam your dh. :evil:

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Herbie » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:02 am

jtoh wrote:
comfy wrote:now I really don't understand this mom. why must younger dd perform better than jie jie. Sometimes I wonder how parents can produce two gifted kids. It is interesting to know.

Oh! May be no external training but got internal training by dad and mum.

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MotherHen » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:02 am

comfy wrote:hee hee that what the MOE said during the GEP briefing, genes from parents. But strange, neither me or hb are from gep lei.

Mmm... I think in my case skip generation :lol: . DD most likely got her genes from Grandpa. Hubby never got past the "convoluted language" in their Math problem sums. I give up completely on Math and Science this year, and surrendering on English compre soon. Haha.....

MotherHen
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jtoh » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:03 am

Lynn2010 wrote:
phtthp wrote:you mean if a child in GEP class, he cannot attend those normal Maths tuition centre, but die die ... must find those special GEP Maths tuition class ?

is GEP Maths curriculum so different from mainstream Maths curriculum ? if Yes, how much far off, and in what kind of Maths topics ? can give example(s) ?

Hi phtthp,

Unfortunately it is very different from the mainstream Maths curriculum. They pitch one or 2 level higher. At GEP P4, it is not so bad, from experience, they pitch at about P5. At P5, pitch around P6 and a little Sec 1 and P6 at Sec 1 or 2.

I hate their project or extended study or whatever they call it!!! I remember once she did this "Break the Code". I "break my brain" after 2 weeks and asked a relative who is a PHD holder to help her. He has to consult his professor who throws it back at him. He solved it for me in the end.

Hi Lynn,

I remember those projects too. We posed the question to some working statisticians and others who use math theory in their work for fun and they could not solve it. :D We had a good laugh because here the adults were all confused while the kids just merrily completed the project with little stress. :D

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jtoh » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:05 am

Lynn2010 wrote:
comfy wrote:Hi Lynn2010, what is this project 'break the code' thingie about? Hope that u don't mind talking about this "break your brain" assignment. Kind of worry, you know, I don't have a PHD relatives to help. P5 or P6 project?

It is P6. Something to do with some barcode thingy. If you guys really interested, i can share the actual assignment. I keep it for momento - a P6 assignment to be solved by a PHD holder. Xiao!! Apparently all my dd classmates cant do either. My dd has to teach them all after she got the solution from my relative. :slapshead:

I'd be interested to know if the teacher could solve it. :)

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jtoh » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:08 am

Herbie wrote:
jtoh wrote:

Oh! May be no external training but got internal training by dad and mum.

Nope. I know this one family very well. The parents are quite bochap. No tuition, no stress. The kids are happy go lucky but score straight As even at A levels.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Herbie » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:13 am

MotherHen wrote:

Mmm... I think in my case skip generation :lol: . DD most likely got her genes from Grandpa. Hubby never got past the "convoluted language" in their Math problem sums. I give up completely on Math and Science this year, and surrendering on English compre soon. Haha.....

Hi motherhen, i hv given up on gep's compre liao, the topic given is just so 'dry'.

Thankfully, dd did ok for the recent eng ct and her hmt has also improved slightly as compared to last semester.
:dancing:

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres