All About GEP

Academic support and discussions for GEP
Post Reply

GEP screening test? Go or no Go

Poll ended at Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Must Go
7
35%
Can Try
11
55%
Don't Go
2
10%
 
Total votes: 20

MotherHen
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 607
Joined: Tue Mar 30,
Total Likes:10

Re: All About GEP

Post by MotherHen » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:33 am

Herbie wrote:
MotherHen wrote:
comfy wrote:hee hee that what the MOE said during the GEP briefing, genes from parents. But strange, neither me or hb are from gep lei.


Mmm... I think in my case skip generation :lol: . DD most likely got her genes from Grandpa. Hubby never got past the "convoluted language" in their Math problem sums. I give up completely on Math and Science this year, and surrendering on English compre soon. Haha.....


Hi motherhen, i hv given up on gep's compre liao, the topic given is just so 'dry'.

Thankfully, dd did ok for the recent eng ct and her hmt has also improved slightly as compared to last semester.
:dancing:


That's wonderful! It's always a happy thing to see improvement. Let's all jiayou together!

Yah talk about dry topics for compre. I usually start to space out about one-third into the passage. Mid-way through I already have no idea what the passage is all about. I really feel sorry for the students who have to read through the whole passage.... The thought of it is enough to make me cry.

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Oct 30,

Re: All About GEP

Post by Herbie » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:34 am

Actually, i noticed tat my dd's ge friends quite a high percentage of them do learn to play musical instruments,

So may playing instrument also helps in brain development.

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1470
Joined: Sun Feb 06,
Total Likes:5

Re: All About GEP

Post by Flowermonaster » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:35 am

comfy wrote:now I really don't understand this mom. why must younger dd perform better than jie jie. Sometimes I wonder how parents can produce two gifted kids. It is interesting to know.


Could it be the younger one can refer her jie jie's notes & work so her mom have higher expectation? Just a wild guess.
Even if she can do so, they are both different individual with different strength & personality so how to compare? :?

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 9696
Joined: Thu Aug 14,
Total Likes:38

Re: All About GEP

Post by sleepy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:47 am

Herbie wrote:Actually, i noticed tat my dd's ge friends quite a high percentage of them do learn to play musical instruments,

So may playing instrument also helps in brain development.


Yes, based on some research, learning musical instruments help in brain development, coordination of right and left brain.

If I recall correctly, last year PSLE scholar had 2 music diplomas, impressive!

I guess need to strike a balance between academic & musical pursuit. Learning instrument is afterall rather time consuming.

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Oct 30,

Re: All About GEP

Post by Herbie » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:49 am

Flowermonaster wrote:
comfy wrote:now I really don't understand this mom. why must younger dd perform better than jie jie. Sometimes I wonder how parents can produce two gifted kids. It is interesting to know.


Could it be the younger one can refer her jie jie's notes & work so her mom have higher expectation? Just a wild guess.
Even if she can do so, they are both different individual with different strength & personality so how to compare? :?


I tot so too. She can study ahead of others, she has more 'practice papers to try. On top of tat, i heard she has two maths tutos.
:yikes:


sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 9696
Joined: Thu Aug 14,
Total Likes:38

Re: All About GEP

Post by sleepy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:49 am

Any idea when is the parent's briefing normally conducted? Early December?

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Oct 30,

Re: All About GEP

Post by Herbie » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:54 am

sleepy wrote:Any idea when is the parent's briefing normally conducted? Early December?


I think shld be in january.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
Posts: 11309
Joined: Mon Mar 22,
Total Likes:101

Re: All About GEP

Post by jtoh » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:57 am

Herbie wrote:
Flowermonaster wrote:
comfy wrote:now I really don't understand this mom. why must younger dd perform better than jie jie. Sometimes I wonder how parents can produce two gifted kids. It is interesting to know.


Could it be the younger one can refer her jie jie's notes & work so her mom have higher expectation? Just a wild guess.
Even if she can do so, they are both different individual with different strength & personality so how to compare? :?


I tot so too. She can study ahead of others, she has more 'practice papers to try. On top of tat, i heard she has two maths tutos.
:yikes:


Poor girl. Is she stressed out? Why on earth would she need two math tutors?

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1639
Joined: Fri Oct 30,

Re: All About GEP

Post by Herbie » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:10 am

Could it be the younger one can refer her jie jie's notes & work so her mom have higher expectation? Just a wild guess.
Even if she can do so, they are both different individual with different strength & personality so how to compare? :?[/quote]

I tot so too. She can study ahead of others, she has more 'practice papers to try. On top of tat, i heard she has two maths tutos.
:yikes:[/quote]

Poor girl. Is she stressed out? Why on earth would she need two math tutors?[/quote]

Dun know leh. But i know tat she has alot of workshhets to complete and sometime she can't finish her sch work and need to ask for extension of time from teacher.

I think the sad part is the mum did not realise tat it is tough to complete 15 maths qn within 30 minutes and some kid does freaked out and did badly for such test.

So shld be happy liao if our kid can stay calm and complete the paper. :nunchuk:

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1470
Joined: Sun Feb 06,
Total Likes:5

Re: All About GEP

Post by Flowermonaster » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:12 am

jtoh wrote:
Herbie wrote:
I tot so too. She can study ahead of others, she has more 'practice papers to try. On top of tat, i heard she has two maths tutos.
:yikes:


Poor girl. Is she stressed out? Why on earth would she need two math tutors?


Maybe one for GE Math and the other for Math olympiad or PSLE preparation? Another wild guess only.
Just wondering, with so many tuition/enrichment, will the kids feel bored in class? Will they concentrate since there is always a fallback - tuition?
Have anyone wonder how many kids dropout of GE in P4, P5 & P6 every year? More girls or boys? What was the reason(s) for dropping out?

Post Reply