55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby MotherHen » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:33 am

Herbie wrote:
MotherHen wrote:
comfy wrote:hee hee that what the MOE said during the GEP briefing, genes from parents. But strange, neither me or hb are from gep lei.

Mmm... I think in my case skip generation :lol: . DD most likely got her genes from Grandpa. Hubby never got past the "convoluted language" in their Math problem sums. I give up completely on Math and Science this year, and surrendering on English compre soon. Haha.....

Hi motherhen, i hv given up on gep's compre liao, the topic given is just so 'dry'.

Thankfully, dd did ok for the recent eng ct and her hmt has also improved slightly as compared to last semester.
:dancing:

That's wonderful! It's always a happy thing to see improvement. Let's all jiayou together!

Yah talk about dry topics for compre. I usually start to space out about one-third into the passage. Mid-way through I already have no idea what the passage is all about. I really feel sorry for the students who have to read through the whole passage.... The thought of it is enough to make me cry.

MotherHen
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Herbie » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:34 am

Actually, i noticed tat my dd's ge friends quite a high percentage of them do learn to play musical instruments,

So may playing instrument also helps in brain development.

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Flowermonaster » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:35 am

comfy wrote:now I really don't understand this mom. why must younger dd perform better than jie jie. Sometimes I wonder how parents can produce two gifted kids. It is interesting to know.

Could it be the younger one can refer her jie jie's notes & work so her mom have higher expectation? Just a wild guess.
Even if she can do so, they are both different individual with different strength & personality so how to compare? :?

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:47 am

Herbie wrote:Actually, i noticed tat my dd's ge friends quite a high percentage of them do learn to play musical instruments,

So may playing instrument also helps in brain development.

Yes, based on some research, learning musical instruments help in brain development, coordination of right and left brain.

If I recall correctly, last year PSLE scholar had 2 music diplomas, impressive!

I guess need to strike a balance between academic & musical pursuit. Learning instrument is afterall rather time consuming.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Herbie » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:49 am

Flowermonaster wrote:
comfy wrote:now I really don't understand this mom. why must younger dd perform better than jie jie. Sometimes I wonder how parents can produce two gifted kids. It is interesting to know.

Could it be the younger one can refer her jie jie's notes & work so her mom have higher expectation? Just a wild guess.
Even if she can do so, they are both different individual with different strength & personality so how to compare? :?

I tot so too. She can study ahead of others, she has more 'practice papers to try. On top of tat, i heard she has two maths tutos.
:yikes:

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:49 am

Any idea when is the parent's briefing normally conducted? Early December?

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Herbie » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:54 am

sleepy wrote:Any idea when is the parent's briefing normally conducted? Early December?

I think shld be in january.

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:57 am

Herbie wrote:
Flowermonaster wrote:

I tot so too. She can study ahead of others, she has more 'practice papers to try. On top of tat, i heard she has two maths tutos.

Poor girl. Is she stressed out? Why on earth would she need two math tutors?

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Herbie » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:10 am

Even if she can do so, they are both different individual with different strength & personality so how to compare? :?[/quote]

:yikes:[/quote]

Poor girl. Is she stressed out? Why on earth would she need two math tutors?[/quote]

Dun know leh. But i know tat she has alot of workshhets to complete and sometime she can't finish her sch work and need to ask for extension of time from teacher.

I think the sad part is the mum did not realise tat it is tough to complete 15 maths qn within 30 minutes and some kid does freaked out and did badly for such test.

So shld be happy liao if our kid can stay calm and complete the paper. :nunchuk:

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Flowermonaster » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:12 am

jtoh wrote:
Herbie wrote:

Poor girl. Is she stressed out? Why on earth would she need two math tutors?

Maybe one for GE Math and the other for Math olympiad or PSLE preparation? Another wild guess only.
Just wondering, with so many tuition/enrichment, will the kids feel bored in class? Will they concentrate since there is always a fallback - tuition?
Have anyone wonder how many kids dropout of GE in P4, P5 & P6 every year? More girls or boys? What was the reason(s) for dropping out?

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP