35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:05 am

Personally, I think P4 is the toughest yr and many will think of transfer back to mainstream. But if u have the chance to talk to the GE head or teahcers, u will realise that significant no. of kids will struggle despite being very bright coz of various factors such as change in school/friends, sudden drop in results, and curriculum which requires more matured thinking. As it's something they see evry yr, they will generally discourage them from dropping out.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MotherHen » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:07 am

Flowermonaster wrote:
Herbie wrote:Have anyone wonder how many kids dropout of GE in P4, P5 & P6 every year? More girls or boys? What was the reason(s) for dropping out?

I hv not heard of any dropout. I think moe will also not let u drop ge they will counsel u first. The dir from moe mentioned an example that the mum wanted her child to drop out of ge cos she can't handle ge and thinks that her kid cannot hande ge.

I think if there are drop outs it will reflect badly on ge.

When my DS was in P2, during teacher/parents mtg, his form teacher told us about GEP & mentioned that his ex-student a girl who was selected for GE program & after half a year or so, she chose to come back to her previous school because she don't like the stress there. According to this teacher, she fared quite well in PSLE in my DS's previous school.[/quote]

According to DD, a classmate transferred back to her old school after P4. I wouldn't be surprised if there are cases like this in every batch. Academic pressure from school is one thing, but I think pressure also comes from parents, who may have excessive expectations of their children and thus overburden them with tuition.

MotherHen
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Champion » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:17 am

MotherHen wrote: Academic pressure from school is one thing, but I think pressure also comes from parents, who may have excessive expectations of their children and thus overburden them with tuition.

I agree with MotherHen's above statement! :goodpost:

After the last GEP screening tests on 24 August, DD1 (P3) came home told me," Mummy, xxx cried because she unable to finish the Maths paper and she worried her mummy will cane her! I give her the whole pkt of issue but still not enough; then I have to bring her to the toilet to clean up!" :lol:

Such was a real scenario and I felt heart-pain for this girl who happened sat beside my DD1 :sad:

Champion
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:31 am

Champion wrote:
MotherHen wrote: Academic pressure from school is one thing, but I think pressure also comes from parents, who may have excessive expectations of their children and thus overburden them with tuition.

After the last GEP screening tests on 24 August, DD1 (P3) came home told me," Mummy, xxx cried because she unable to finish the Maths paper and she worried her mummy will cane her! I give her the whole pkt of issue but still not enough; then I have to bring her to the toilet to clean up!" :lol:

Such was a real scenario and I felt heart-pain for this girl who happened sat beside my DD1 :sad:

That's so sad. Sad that the mother is stressing the kid out, and even sadder still that the mother is caning the child over a math paper.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jtoh » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:32 am

Herbie wrote:For p4 to drop out if ge, the child can still choose to go back to their original pri sch. But for p5, u really hv to think hard cos u will end up in the ge but mainstream dept.

I think the child will feel demoralise so die die they will chose to stay in ge.

Only if your original primary school has vacancies available.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jtoh » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:34 am

vlim wrote:I heard of one kid with 3 maths tuition. One maths enrichment center. One tutor to teach/ guide school homework and another tutor to teach/ guide enrichment center homework :rotflmao:

3 tutors! And one to teach enrichment centre homework?!! I can imagine this kid probably has Science, Chinese and English tuition too.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby vlim » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:36 am

Champion wrote:

Ya when I went home after work tt day, my p3 sadly told me tt she fail her gep test Liao as she didn't have enough time to do 5 qns.
I told is ok.. Gep test is not important ... But school exams are :wink:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Herbie » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:41 am

jtoh wrote:
Herbie wrote:For p4 to drop out if ge, the child can still choose to go back to their original pri sch. But for p5, u really hv to think hard cos u will end up in the ge but mainstream dept.

I think the child will feel demoralise so die die they will chose to stay in ge.

Only if your original primary school has vacancies available.

Anyway it is doable. One of the parents has requested the original's principal to double confirm with moe.

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Herbie » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:16 am

hi vlim,

How's P6 Gep like?? is it tough?

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:27 am

Herbie wrote:hi vlim,

How's P6 Gep like?? is it tough?

When my ds was in p5, last yr, a few parents here said tt p6 gep is a breeze... But no le ... As they have ct1 in march and SA in may plus various English assignment,Ss portfolio , maths assignment ... So it was very busy in 1st and 2 Nd term :sweat: .. But I feel relief after his p6 sa1 exam as tt is the last gep exam :dancing: ... I feel tt p6 science got lots more things to study such as adaption which is part of mainstream curriculum also .... The rest of the subjects are abt the same as p5 lor .
For Ss they have to do 2 portfolio whereby they have to choose their own topics.... Need quite a fair bit of write out with simple survey etc etc.. But with p4 and p5 Ss portfolio experiences... They shouldn't have much problem with it also with the teacher guidance ..

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres