10%

Total votes : 20

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:31 pm

it is only a one-sided story
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Way2GO » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:38 pm

tamarind wrote:I wonder if anyone has read this ? If what he said were true, then GEP does not seem to be able to help a truly gifted child.
http://scientific-child-prodigy.blogspot.com/

vlim wrote: chim don't quite understand

There was some discussion of this in another thread.
If I find it, I will post here.
Cawley's blog sounds very lop-sided in retrospect.

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Way2GO » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:44 pm

vlim wrote: hi way2go,
Well I am not too sure as my son will only be starting the first lesson next week. This is an advance maths course so I suppose is a gd course to further enrich kids who are good in maths.

Knew it's an advance course only for selected kids.

vlim wrote: so I have been longing my son to be able to join this course since last yr.

Any prep? or its also go in blindly like the GEP selection thingy with the altitude - if he has it, he has it? :D

vlim wrote:Heard from my son school is engaging someone outside to course them in the first term and subsequently by one of the school teacher in charge.

Yes. This course goes beyond the GEP maths syl.

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:50 pm

Way2GO wrote:
vlim wrote: hi way2go,
Well I am not too sure as my son will only be starting the first lesson next week. This is an advance maths course so I suppose is a gd course to further enrich kids who are good in maths.

Knew it's an advance course only for selected kids.

vlim wrote: so I have been longing my son to be able to join this course since last yr.

Any prep? or its also go in blindly like the GEP selection thingy with the altitude - if he has it, he has it? :D

vlim wrote:Heard from my son school is engaging someone outside to course them in the first term and subsequently by one of the school teacher in charge.

Yes. This course goes beyond the GEP maths syl.

from moe website:
At the Advanced Mathematics Enrichment Classes, pupils will

be exposed to various challenging advanced mathematical problems
discuss and examine advanced mathematical concepts in greater breadth and depth
learn different and efficient problem-solving strategies and techniques to tackle the problems
Target Group
Selected Primary 5 and 6 GEP pupils who are mathematically precocious.

There is no preparation for the selection test. Students are not informed of the test date. My son that date came back and told me he had taken the test and was very hard.

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:51 pm

yep, it was a surprise test
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngbrdad » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:33 pm

vlim wrote:
ngbrdad wrote:P5.
P4 is the family project thingy.

I thought by now all p5 gepers would have been allocated the type of project? If I am not wrong, at end of p4, the kids would be ask (maybe not all school) which project they prefer...and teacher in charge will assign the type of projects and made known to them once school reopen for p5. Not all students will get the type of project that they like. One or two of the options need audition.

Yup just checked with my DS that he was allocated his first choice.
Really can't recall whether he told me anything about it last year.
At first during the briefing I thought they have to do all four and I was thinking how on earth is that possible ?

ngbrdad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:03 pm

ngbrdad wrote:Yup just checked with my DS that he was allocated his first choice.
At first during the briefing I thought they have to do all four and I was thinking how on earth is that possible ?

heeee...u are a bit blur... :wink: This yr going to be busy for my son as he need to stay back 4 days a week for extra lessons and cca...

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cckmom » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:58 pm

vlim wrote:
ngbrdad wrote:Yup just checked with my DS that he was allocated his first choice.

heeee...u are a bit blur... :wink: This yr going to be busy for my son as he need to stay back 4 days a week for extra lessons and cca...

Have few questions.

1. For Olympiad - Will all children (GEP) be allowed to sit for the exam or only selected. My Son in P4 GEP.

2. When coming to choosing a project , will it have any impact on the DSA for example children who choose science/ maths have better change than those who choose Social Studies.

:?:

cckmom
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby cchew » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:53 pm

verykiasu2010 wrote:yep, it was a surprise test

We rec'd a letter today for my ds to stay back in school next monday to take the test.

cchew
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby vlim » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:30 pm

cckmom wrote:Have few questions.

1. For Olympiad - Will all children (GEP) be allowed to sit for the exam or only selected. My Son in P4 GEP.

2. When coming to choosing a project , will it have any impact on the DSA for example children who choose science/ maths have better change than those who choose Social Studies.

:?:

hi,

qn 1. Was told the some olympiad competitions are meant for p5 & p6 and some only for p6 (if I am not wrong). You can check it out with your son school's maths teacher as I am not too sure too :wink:

qn2. Social Studies and science both have compulsory projects to be done for the p4 and p5 gepers. Regarding how their results affect their dsa...probably got to seek comment from parents whose gepers kids have gone thru the dsa....

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres