Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby vlim » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:03 pm

comfy wrote:
vlim wrote:I heard of one kid with 3 maths tuition. One maths enrichment center. One tutor to teach/ guide school homework and another tutor to teach/ guide enrichment center homework :rotflmao:

this is really a good one, Vlim, find this very difficult to accept, lei. True or not?

That is what I was told and believe it is possible with richy parents ... :wink:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Dnls_mum » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:58 pm

Hi,
Does anyone here know if it makes a difference whether a GEP student attend a secondary school with school based gifted programme or not? Would appreciate some advice. Thanks.

Dnls_mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:12 pm

Dnls_mum wrote:Hi,
Does anyone here know if it makes a difference whether a GEP student attend a secondary school with school based gifted programme or not? Would appreciate some advice. Thanks.

As you know, MOE GE Branch advises that all primary GEP students go to secondary schools with SBGE programmes. I believe the difference is that these schools would cater to those with higher abilities and the curriculum and pedagogy would be better suited to their learning. My personal opinion - my dd and I attended the Open House of an IP school which did not offer an SBGE programme. My dd and her classmates commented that a couple of the projects the school would be doing the kids already covered in P5 GEP. So the standard isn't quite there I gather.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sleepy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:59 pm

MandyMummy wrote:
jtoh wrote:
MandyMummy wrote:You serious? You mean the little ones are attached at such a young age? :yikes:

Learning Lab has secondary school classes too. :evil: And the IP schools are grouped together. :evil: :evil:

Oh I see. I always thought TLL is only for primary students. No wonder their fees are not cheap.... :smile:

Oh, now I know which 'matchmaking' agency to send my girls to. My dd1 said she wants to see IQ report before going steady :rotflmao:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby debpch » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:15 pm

MandyMummy wrote:
jtoh wrote:
sleepy wrote:I see. So first batch of GEPers will be 27 years old this year. And in order to have GEP kids of 10 years old, must be pregnant by 16 years old

No lah, first batch is 37 years old now. They were 10 years old (P4) in 1984. Your Math fail! So cannot be GEP. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: Just kidding hor.

Heard Sim Ann is from the first batch of GEP.

you guys are all wrong lah.

Sim Ann is my batch GEP. We are the second batch. But there is another batch who entered GEP in Sec1. The oldest GEP student should be 40 this year if they entered in Sec 1.

Sim Ann was the top GEP girl I think. Dunno how she compared to the top GEP guy.

debpch
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Dnls_mum » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:00 pm

jtoh wrote:
Dnls_mum wrote:Hi,

As you know, MOE GE Branch advises that all primary GEP students go to secondary schools with SBGE programmes. I believe the difference is that these schools would cater to those with higher abilities and the curriculum and pedagogy would be better suited to their learning. My personal opinion - my dd and I attended the Open House of an IP school which did not offer an SBGE programme. My dd and her classmates commented that a couple of the projects the school would be doing the kids already covered in P5 GEP. So the standard isn't quite there I gather.

Hi jtoh,
Thanks. Do you know if the MOE GE branch continues to monitor the performance of GEP students in Secondary school? Do you think my son will be dropped from MOE's radar screen if he does not join a Sec school with a Ge programme?

We are in a dilemma now. DS2 applied for DSA at HCI and NJC. He liked the programme offered by NJC after attending their talk. He did not get a CO from HCI, but got one from NJC. If we accept the NJC CO, then i suppose it is end of GE for him. If we don't, we take a risk that if he can't get into another IP school with GE programme after PSLE results, he will have to go to a 4 yr programme even if it is a school with GE programme. I personally know of a case of a GEP student who did not do well enough to get admitted to any IP school, GE programme or not.

DS1 (not in GEP) is in a Sec school offering 4 yr GE programme. I know that in DS1's year, only 1 GEP student is in that school because he did not do well enough to go to an IP school. His class are all main streams, and I'm not sure how different the lessons are from the rest of the school.

So come Oct 24, we really have to think hard. I wish I had discovered KSP earlier and sought advise before the DSA applications..... :cry: I think we need to pray for divine enlightenment :pray:

Dnls_mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Lynn2010 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:12 pm

comfy wrote:Hi vlim, but is it compulsory? expected to be hand in. can hand in blank if can't solve?

The question is set by MOE. Non exam but still graded if i'm not wrong. Initially i ask the school Math teacher to help. At first she said ok, then she said she was too busy. Maybe she doesnt know how to solve after reading the question :evil:

But dont worry lah. I think the other 3 or 4 topics are fine. Just this one "suay".

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Lynn2010 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:19 pm

Flowermonaster wrote:
comfy wrote:
Lynn2010 wrote:Hi Lynn2010, what is this project 'break the code' thingie about? Hope that u don't mind talking about this "break your brain" assignment. Kind of worry, you know, I don't have a PHD relatives to help. P5 or P6 project?

It is P6. Something to do with some barcode thingy. If you guys really interested, i can share the actual assignment. I keep it for momento - a P6 assignment to be solved by a PHD holder. Xiao!! Apparently all my dd classmates cant do either. My dd has to teach them all after she got the solution from my relative. :slapshead:

Hi Lynn2010, I'm worry too as I am hopeless in math so cannot guide my DS when he goes P6. Do share with me too just in case he can't do it. I will let him try on his own & if he really can't then I will show him your solution. TIA.

Hi Flowermonaster,

Dont worry. I believe they have different questions every year. Just spoke with my dd. This is "AA = Alternative Assessment", only P6 has it. It is graded, question set by MOE. After doing it, they need to submit to MOE.
PM me your email address and i can send to you for reference. Dont know how to attach document here leh. (I'm quite a comp idiot - lucky my dds do not have my genes)

And anyone who wants it for reference, just PM me. I will send.

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Lynn2010 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:36 pm

Herbie wrote:Actually, i noticed tat my dd's ge friends quite a high percentage of them do learn to play musical instruments,

So may playing instrument also helps in brain development.

I read that some kind of research was done. Playing music or art actually develops the right brain. When i was living in Australia, both my dds have instruments included in their curriculum. Interestingly, they learnt one different instrument every term. Perhaps that is why the Aussies are generally more creative.

Art is another subject apparently develop brains.

Not sure about the other GE kids (asking out of curiosity) - do your ds / dd play musically instrument or good at art?

Both my dds are doing 2 instruments, they use to paint but last few years too busy with their schedule

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Lynn2010 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:39 pm

jtoh wrote:
Lynn2010 wrote:
comfy wrote:Hi Lynn2010, what is this project 'break the code' thingie about? Hope that u don't mind talking about this "break your brain" assignment. Kind of worry, you know, I don't have a PHD relatives to help. P5 or P6 project?

It is P6. Something to do with some barcode thingy. If you guys really interested, i can share the actual assignment. I keep it for momento - a P6 assignment to be solved by a PHD holder. Xiao!! Apparently all my dd classmates cant do either. My dd has to teach them all after she got the solution from my relative. :slapshead:

I'd be interested to know if the teacher could solve it. :)

I doubt. At first she said she will spend some time discussing it with my dd. After that she said that she was too busy and said she should try herself. And she left it as that.

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge