35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby Lynn2010 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:50 pm

I tot so too. She can study ahead of others, she has more 'practice papers to try. On top of tat, i heard she has two maths tutos.
:yikes:[/quote]

Poor girl. Is she stressed out? Why on earth would she need two math tutors?[/quote]

Maybe one for GE Math and the other for Math olympiad or PSLE preparation? Another wild guess only.
Just wondering, with so many tuition/enrichment, will the kids feel bored in class? Will they concentrate since there is always a fallback - tuition?
Have anyone wonder how many kids dropout of GE in P4, P5 & P6 every year? More girls or boys? What was the reason(s) for dropping out?[/quote]

I heard there are though not many. Initially i was hesitating if i should let my dd go for GE. I was afraid she cant cope with the extended work. My dd quite lazy. I dont want to stress her out. But the school teacher told me to give it a try as if she cant, she can always transfer to the mainstream. She said there were such cases.

I hv not heard of any dropout. I think moe will also not let u drop ge they will counsel u first. The dir from moe mentioned an example that the mum wanted her child to drop out of ge cos she can't handle ge and thinks that her kid cannot hande ge.

I think if there are drop outs it will reflect badly on ge.[/quote]

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Lynn2010 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:53 pm

sleepy wrote:
vlim wrote:I heard of one kid with 3 maths tuition. One maths enrichment center. One tutor to teach/ guide school homework and another tutor to teach/ guide enrichment center homework :rotflmao:

How to squeeze in time to attend so many tuition? Very time consuming to attend tuition le.

wow.... my dd must be really relax then. She has only MT tuition and already grumbling

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Lynn2010 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:57 pm

Champion wrote:
MotherHen wrote: Academic pressure from school is one thing, but I think pressure also comes from parents, who may have excessive expectations of their children and thus overburden them with tuition.

I agree with MotherHen's above statement! :goodpost:

After the last GEP screening tests on 24 August, DD1 (P3) came home told me," Mummy, xxx cried because she unable to finish the Maths paper and she worried her mummy will cane her! I give her the whole pkt of issue but still not enough; then I have to bring her to the toilet to clean up!" :lol:

Such was a real scenario and I felt heart-pain for this girl who happened sat beside my DD1 :sad:

Oh my... poor girl.... The mother might have spent a lot of money sending this girl for some kind of GEP preparation class. Really heart pain for the girl.

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Lynn2010 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:01 pm

vlim wrote:
Herbie wrote:huh! very busy in 1st and 2nd term and my dd still have to go for SYF next year.
Die liao.

not to scare you...make sure she got time to revise for ct and sa lo..as you know la ...the dsa thingy. But of course, there are some who can handle with 'breeze' :lol: :wink:

Hi Herbie,
Dont worry.... your dd will be able to do it.

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Lynn2010 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:13 pm

Must be right, else to become high flyer in a masse of whites...!!! :wink:[/quote]
True lah. :smile: we know our system too well and PAP too! :siam:[/quote]

to be a civil servant is my dream job for my dd.... :lol: high pay plus iron rice bowl... :lol:[/quote]
Marry one lah, and become a civil servant tai tai. Must look nice in cheongsam because must be prepared to accompany husband to run for president next time. :siam:[/quote]

Then i fail liao. Cant go into a cheongsam, maybe sarong. :rotflmao:

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jtoh » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:16 pm

Lynn2010 wrote:
jtoh wrote:
Lynn2010 wrote:

It is P6. Something to do with some barcode thingy. If you guys really interested, i can share the actual assignment. I keep it for momento - a P6 assignment to be solved by a PHD holder. Xiao!! Apparently all my dd classmates cant do either. My dd has to teach them all after she got the solution from my relative. :slapshead:

I'd be interested to know if the teacher could solve it. :)

I doubt. At first she said she will spend some time discussing it with my dd. After that she said that she was too busy and said she should try herself. And she left it as that.

Sounds like she couldn't solve it. :rotflmao:

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jtoh » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:28 pm

Lynn2010 wrote:

You're very funny! :rotflmao:

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby vlim » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:28 pm

Lynn2010 wrote:Hi Flowermonaster,

Dont worry. I believe they have different questions every year. Just spoke with my dd. This is "AA = Alternative Assessment", only P6 has it. It is graded, question set by MOE. After doing it, they need to submit to MOE.
PM me your email address and i can send to you for reference. Dont know how to attach document here leh. (I'm quite a comp idiot - lucky my dds do not have my genes)

And anyone who wants it for reference, just PM me. I will send.

For Maths AA this year, the p6 geps can choose one topic out of 7 to work on. And my ds chosen Pick's theorem..but don't ask me what is pick's theorem..I don't know :wink:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:30 pm

jtoh wrote:
Lynn2010 wrote:

You're very funny! :rotflmao:

:wink: :wink: ...I think I also belong to the sarong category.. :wink:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster