All About GEP

Academic support and discussions for GEP

GEP screening test? Go or no Go

Poll ended at Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Must Go
7
35%
Can Try
11
55%
Don't Go
2
10%
 
Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby comfy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:16 pm

deleted
Last edited by comfy on Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 598
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:24 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby jtoh » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:43 pm

Hi comfy, on hindsight, would you send your dd to GEP if you were to do this again?

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 11131
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 98


Re: All About GEP

Postby comfy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:33 pm

at this moment, I don't think so.

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 598
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:24 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby iFirefly » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:26 pm

violin_lover wrote:Lynn: Thank you very much for sharing the questions with me.
I have to agree that the question is very challenging. In fact, I beleive that most of the undergraduate cannot solve it too.
It took me some time to fully understand the solution. You need to understand the specific characteristic and fundamental knowledge in it.
I really pity the parents (and the kids) who have chosen this question. Guess I can set up a consultancy :evil: for GEP alternative assessment.


Lynn2010 wrote:Hmmm... Then I better warn my dd not to pick anything that sounds suspiciously 'fun'. Knowing her, "break the code" would be something she would choose cos sounds like a game. Wah... I have no Math PhD holders in the family for her to turn to :sweat: :sweat: . Both mummy and daddy are Math idiots...


My DS chose Line Designs (AA). His Math teacher gave the pupils a brief description of each topic before they made their choices. The teacher also advised them to choose (or rather, NOT to choose) certain topics, but left the final decisions to the pupils themselves, of course. My DS took up his favourite teacher's advice and did Line Designs. He scored 18/20 for AA.



]

iFirefly
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 6697
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:05 am
Total Likes: 99


Re: All About GEP

Postby vlim » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:39 pm

Just now while I was cleaning my ds book shelves, I realise the 'Murderous Maths' series got a book called 'The secret life of code'..wonder is it similar to 'break the code' maths topic which Lynn2010 has mentioned or not :wink:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4782
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:49 pm
Total Likes: 2



Re: All About GEP

Postby Lynn2010 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:47 pm

violin_lover wrote:Lynn: Thank you very much for sharing the questions with me.
I have to agree that the question is very challenging. In fact, I beleive that most of the undergraduate cannot solve it too.
It took me some time to fully understand the solution. You need to understand the specific characteristic and fundamental knowledge in it.
I really pity the parents (and the kids) who have chosen this question. Guess I can set up a consultancy :evil: for GEP alternative assessment.


Lynn2010 wrote:Hmmm... Then I better warn my dd not to pick anything that sounds suspiciously 'fun'. Knowing her, "break the code" would be something she would choose cos sounds like a game. Wah... I have no Math PhD holders in the family for her to turn to :sweat: :sweat: . Both mummy and daddy are Math idiots...



]


hahaha..... not sure if they will change to a more difficult question leh. Now MOE thought that the Geppers (12 yr old) can solve this "Break the Code". They now try to set something 'Unbreakable Code" to break the brain. Just joking...

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 567
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:46 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: All About GEP

Postby Lynn2010 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:51 pm

vlim wrote:Just now while I was cleaning my ds book shelves, I realise the 'Murderous Maths' series got a book called 'The secret life of code'..wonder is it similar to 'break the code' maths topic which Lynn2010 has mentioned or not :wink:


Hmmmm.... interesting. What is this 'Murderous Maths' series. I havent heard of it. Honestly, i dont understand what MOE is trying to achieve by giving this sort of very difficult question.

Throughout my dd GEP years (P4 not so bad), every time i see the 'Rubics', my first remark is "What homework does MOE give mummy now?" Not that she cannot do it, but i must monitor her right, so it is as good as doing the hm wk loh.

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 567
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:46 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: All About GEP

Postby jtoh » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:58 pm

comfy wrote:at this moment, I don't think so.


I hope your dd gets better teachers next year.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 11131
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 98


Re: All About GEP

Postby vlim » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:02 am

Lynn2010 wrote:
vlim wrote:Just now while I was cleaning my ds book shelves, I realise the 'Murderous Maths' series got a book called 'The secret life of code'..wonder is it similar to 'break the code' maths topic which Lynn2010 has mentioned or not :wink:


Hmmmm.... interesting. What is this 'Murderous Maths' series. I havent heard of it. Honestly, i dont understand what MOE is trying to achieve by giving this sort of very difficult question.

.


It is just like 'Horrible Science' series which are all about science but 'Murderous Maths' book series are all abt maths..They can still be found in most Popular Bookstores and Kinokuniya and so forth..

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4782
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:49 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: All About GEP

Postby iFirefly » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:28 am

vlim wrote:
Lynn2010 wrote:
Flowermonaster wrote:Lynn2010, is it your DD's teacher assigned the question to the students or they get to pick like Vlim's DS? That particular question so deep, if get to pick, don't think a lot of students will choose that.


There are 6 or 7 topics to pick. You dont the to see the question, just the topic. So my dd picked - Maths: "Break the Code". "Suay" and "Heng".
"Suay" - bcos i break my brain for 2 weeks
"Heng" - I got someone to help (after the teacher herself sort of "too busy" to help my dd).

So if they are going to repeat the question this year, if you really see "Math - Break the Code" - high chance is the same if not similar


oh ..then your dd should have chosen something easier :wink: ... my ds did the Pick's theorem AA all by himself...so save my hair from further dropping... :wink: ...Nevertheless, they will be told to hand in about 2 drafts so tt the teacher will guide and correct them accordingly... so p5 gep parents..no stress no stress..... :cool:


My DS chose Line Designs (AA). His Math teacher gave the pupils a brief description of each topic before they made their choices. The teacher also advised them to choose (or rather, NOT to choose) certain topics, but left the final decisions to the pupils, of course. My DS took up his favourite teacher's advice and did Line Designs. He scored 18/20 for AA.

so p5 gep parents, not to worry, your DS/DD can always ask his/her teacher for advice when the time comes... :smile:

iFirefly
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 6697
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:05 am
Total Likes: 99


PreviousNext

Return to GEP