35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby MotherHen » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:50 am

DD says it's on shipping charges. They are supposed to find the cost of shipping a parcel, given a set of conditions. She says it's easy. Let's hope she did not misunderstand the question cos even she told me that the teacher said it was going to be tough. I'm keeping my fingers crossed :xedfingers:[/quote]

mine also feedback easy. suppose to find the cheapest shipment charge given many combinatorial of conditions. may i know what is your dd's answer to this question?[/quote]

Sighzzz.... She says she can't remember the answers already.

MotherHen
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Herbie » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:50 am

My dd also said that she can't rem the answer already..

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Herbie » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:29 am

Any idea why geppers SA2 exams is always earlier than the mainstreamers??

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MotherHen » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:37 am

Herbie wrote:Any idea why geppers SA2 exams is always earlier than the mainstreamers??

I know. I would much rather they have it around the same time. The PSLE marking days are very useful for revision.

MotherHen
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby WTK » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:59 am

May I know what are the topics to be tested for GEP 5 social studies ? TIA

Mine said yesterday maths test was difficult, can't even finish the paper :(

WTK
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Zann » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Herbie wrote:Any idea why geppers SA2 exams is always earlier than the mainstreamers??

Ever heard tt it is to have a common schedule with CHS(junior) who has to follow their CHS(sec) schedule since GEP centers all will be tested using common test papers.

Personally I like it so that I can bring my ds go enjoy PSLE marking days holiday. :dancing:

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby vlim » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:15 pm

Zann wrote:

Ever heard tt it is to have a common schedule with CHS(junior) who has to follow their CHS(sec) schedule since GEP centers all will be tested using common test papers.

Personally I like it so that I can bring my ds go enjoy PSLE marking days holiday. :dancing:

My view is tt maybe the gep branch has planned this to free up the geppers after the early SA2 so that the geppers can do other non-exam assignments or activities.. :smile:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:30 pm

I have a qian bian qn but please don't throw darts and shoot arrows :duck:

I'm just very curious.

Do any of u know of students who went for intensive training for GEP selection and were admitted to GEP? Are they able to handle the GEP prog subsequently?

This question pop into my head becos saw website on GEP training. Of course they do not accept any Tom, Dick or Harry but still very curious.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Flowermonaster » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:20 pm

WTK wrote:May I know what are the topics to be tested for GEP 5 social studies ? TIA

Mine said yesterday maths test was difficult, can't even finish the paper :(

Hi WTK, below are the P5 SS topics to be tested.
Problems after WWII
Towards full internal self-government
Merger & Separation
Challenges after separation
spore political leaders in the 1950s & 1960s
Citizenship & building our Sporean identity
Man & his environment

MCQ 15 marks
Open-ended 35marks
Total 50 marks

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Lynn2010 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:28 pm

SAHM_TAN wrote:I have a qian bian qn but please don't throw darts and shoot arrows :duck:

I'm just very curious.

Do any of u know of students who went for intensive training for GEP selection and were admitted to GEP? Are they able to handle the GEP prog subsequently?

This question pop into my head becos saw website on GEP training. Of course they do not accept any Tom, Dick or Harry but still very curious.

Hi SAHM_Tan,

I know of kids who went through the GEP prep program and did not admit to GEP.

I HEARD from "sources" that some kids who went through this sort of training and eventually got in have difficulty coping (hope i dont offend any parents here who sent their kids to these GEP training). Of course there are kids who are already smart and parents sign them up for GEP prep to give them an extra push. Basically, (I believe) you can teach a kid and drill them on vocab and IQ questions to some extent and smarter ones should be able to get through these GEP questions.

As the GEP program is very demanding and extensive, kids who do not have that "capability" will have difficulty to cope.

Give you an example (not boasting). My dd is lazy, do the minimum to get by type, doesnt do much revision unless i push her. She still can cope and get through (but if she puts in effort, she can be better of course). According to one of the feedback i got from her tutor (Chinese lah), anything she reads once, she absorbs 75 to 85%, that explains why she pass her P1 MT in just 2 mths (background - she never learnt MT from young age till we got back Sin when she was Pri1 Sep, she had her MT exam in Oct)

What i'm trying to say is that - some kids are naturally capable. I believe most of the GEPPERS are such (not only mine). This is just an example - my 2 cents share

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP