Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby angell » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:00 am

Lynn2010 wrote:
Herbie wrote:Actually, my dd also very cool and calm abt the year end exam... mummy very kan chong but she very relax...

Hahahah.... you are right Herbie. It is usually the mummy (and perhaps daddy) the kan cheong ones and not the kid. I remember last yr (my dd P5) give me a form "stress management". By reading the headline (busy lah), i thought she wanted to go for the course. I told her, no problem if she wants to attend. She replied "No, mummy, i think you need it, not me". :rotflmao: So "ma lu"

I remember the period just before PSLE was my dd's most relaxed time in her 3 years in GEP.( don't count holidays lah)

angell
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:02 am

for maths and science, most of the time they have no problem, but lose marks thru carelessness or misunderstood the qns, esp for sce.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Lynn2010 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:06 pm

Relax??? Last 2 weeks (3 weeks before PSLE), dd sch is dumping a lot of mock paper. In a day can give (for example): 2 full math, 2 full sci, 1 full MT, 1/2 Eng.

I'm not sure if the sch teachers can count. 1 full Math is abt 2.5 hr (although they take less than that to do). How can they expect the child to complete all these from 3pm onwards (after sch). I presume the teachers think the kids do not need to eat, shower and sleep. Even dh who is usually strict abt completing hm wk said, just dont do it.

I really feel so sorry for my dd (and all the sch and classmates). I offer to write "letter of complain" but my dd objected and said she can cope (poor girlSSSS)

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MotherHen » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:52 pm

comfy wrote:
MotherHen wrote:Haha seems that all mummies are stressed up about the year end exam while all ds/dd are taking it easy.

On the topic of revision, does anyone have any recommendation of good Science guidebooks/workbooks that will effectively cram one whole year's worth of learning into 2 weeks? Sorry, I'm desperate already. Other subjects still OK, but I never see dd doing anything for Science at all other than the IDP, and then recently playing with her little electrical circuit set. I bought those school exam papers in the beginning of the year and everything is pretty much intact (I can save the whole set of dd2!). Should I get her to start working on those? Will it be effective? I assume the topics covered should be the same...

Sorry dd is P4, hence can't be of much help but I read some posting by other parents (earlier posting) and they mentioned that the school materials are good enough and must revise the file notes and take notice of the corrections done. So if you dd's sci notes are not 'thin' & really good ones, that can start from there.

Thanks comfy. I'll have a talk with her tonite and get her started on her Science notes this weekend. I guess I'm just really worried cos I've never seen her so laissez-faire towards revision before. Not that I want her to panic and go overboard with studying, but she seems to be taking everything sooo easy (esp recently) it's making me :sweat: .

MotherHen
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby WTK » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:02 pm

Flowermonaster wrote:
WTK wrote:May I know what are the topics to be tested for GEP 5 social studies ? TIA

Mine said yesterday maths test was difficult, can't even finish the paper :(

Hi WTK, below are the P5 SS topics to be tested.
Problems after WWII
Towards full internal self-government
Merger & Separation
Challenges after separation
spore political leaders in the 1950s & 1960s
Citizenship & building our Sporean identity
Man & his environment

MCQ 15 marks
Open-ended 35marks
Total 50 marks

Thanks flowermonaster for the SS topics :thankyou:

WTK
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Flowermonaster » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:31 pm

WTK wrote:
Flowermonaster wrote:
WTK wrote:May I know what are the topics to be tested for GEP 5 social studies ? TIA

Mine said yesterday maths test was difficult, can't even finish the paper :(

Hi WTK, below are the P5 SS topics to be tested.
Problems after WWII
Towards full internal self-government
Merger & Separation
Challenges after separation
spore political leaders in the 1950s & 1960s
Citizenship & building our Sporean identity
Man & his environment

MCQ 15 marks
Open-ended 35marks
Total 50 marks

Thanks flowermonaster for the SS topics :thankyou:

You're most welcome! :smile:

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iFirefly » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:37 pm

hello "flowermonster" (ops, not typo error this time), nice to see you here! your kid is in GEP P5?

iFirefly
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MotherHen » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:59 pm

MotherHen wrote:As for dd2, she just took the screening test in August. She already told me no matter what the results are, she's not changing school. I'm perfectly cool with that. In fact, now that I see what dd1 does in school, I would actively dissuade dd2 from taking up the GEP offer (if, for whatever freakish reason, she was selected). Not that she's no good, just that the program is not suitable for her.

MotherHen, :hi5: again! :wink: My DD1 said the same thing to me after the August 24th GEP papers and I said it's alright so long you do your best in your school exams! :lol:[/quote]

Exactly :celebrate:

MotherHen
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby naggo-nitemare » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:30 pm

I remember the period just before PSLE was my dd's most relaxed time in her 3 years in GEP.( don't count holidays lah)[/quote]

Same for my DS. Last year was his p6 year. The few weeks leading up to psle was to him mind numbingly boring. Nothing but school- issued mock paper after mock paper. With cca n the usual curriculum halted, he had the most time he ever had in 3 yrs. It was a nice break, I thought.

naggo-nitemare
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby SAHM_TAN » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:02 pm

Thanks angell and MotherHen for sharing too. Most likely I will just let DD1 take the screening test when it's her turn. Looking at DH's and my genes and both their grandparents' genes, doubt she belong to this track :wink:

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP