Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby ApronMama » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:33 am

Herbie wrote:My DD brought back some of her P4 maths worksheet from school.

Wah! I really her maths qns is equivalent to P5 maths mainstream.

What is the topic your DD school is touching on now? Just wondering whether the worksheets is common in all GEP school? Or prepared by individual GEP school? Are your worksheet having school logo or GEP logo?

ApronMama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Zann » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:37 am

Hi Herbie, any example to share that you mean it is P5 maths mainstream?

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby 2ppaamm » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:53 am

Zann wrote:

Hi Herbie, any example to share that you mean it is P5 maths mainstream?

Hm... how come my son's work sheet has nothing to do with mainstream work? They are just puzzles and quizzes... maybe he forgot to bring his homework home? :?

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Herbie » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:07 am

There isn't any GEP or school logo on the worksheet.

Example are :

1. Quess and check
2. Shortage and Excess etc

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Zann » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:43 pm

2ppaamm wrote:Hm... how come my son's work sheet has nothing to do with mainstream work? They are just puzzles and quizzes... maybe he forgot to bring his homework home? :?

Is your son in this year P4 GEP? and which school is/was it?

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby 2ppaamm » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:39 pm

Zann wrote:Is your son in this year P4 GEP? and which school is/was it?

hi, he is in p4 Gep, Acs primary.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Theoneyouaretalkingabout » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:20 pm

tamarind wrote:If GEP is really supportive of his son, I don't see why he has to leave Singapore and go to Malaysia instead. It costs a lot of money and effort to move to another country.

In any case, I think may be his son did not pass the GEP selection test :wink: That's why GEP does not think that he is gifted.

It is time I spoke. There are a lot of misunderstandings and misinformation on this thread (I haven't had time to read much of it, but that is already clear).

Ainan WAS in the GEP programme, as a special, early intervention case at the age of 7. He passed all tests, with "flying colours".

We were unhappy with the GEP because they seemed to have another agenda other than helping him grow intellectually. They were very keen on observing him (they had a secret file many inches thick on him, which they wouldn't let us see)...but they were not keen to allocate the resources we thought appropriate - such as an ongoing practical class in Chemistry. They said it was "too resource intensive" "if we do it for him, we will have to do it for all of them". What they offered wasn't worth having: an hour a week of theory class at NUS High. We didn't want theory classes, since he was doing that at home...we wanted practical classes - but they wouldn't do that on an ongoing basis. They also wouldn't do anything else: no maths support, he was not allowed to audit any other class, or subject, no other O levels were to be supported, etc. etc.

Basically, they were trying to hinder him, it seemed, not help him.

After putting up with their empty promises for too long (they talked big, did little), we gave up.

Contrary to those who say we are likely to complain just as much about Malaysia, we are VERY happy here. The people are warm and welcoming. The system is supportive and flexible. The University is trying to do its best to meet his academic needs. We couldn't be more pleased. In fact, I don't know why anyone would want to stay in Singapore and struggle on with its rigidities, rules and inflexibilities.

It is clear that we should have made this move years ago.

The GEP is designed for moderately gifted children. It cannot cope with anyone who is too unusual in any department. If you have any doubts that it is a failed system, please read my blog.

www.scientific-child-prodigy.blogspot.com

Theoneyouaretalkingabout
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

MOE propanganda

Postby Theoneyouaretalkingabout » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:37 pm

Contrary to the idea expressed by one of you, that the MOE is keeping quiet so as to not "hurt the boy's ego"...the MOE are actually telling a lot of lies, through the media. Their side of the story is a complete fabrication designed to make them look good.

I wrote to the editor of the New Paper, about the lies, but he was very dismissive saying "write to us when you have something important to say". Disgusting, really.

The MOE has shown a lack of ability or willingness to meet Ainan's academic needs...and then a lack of honesty and integrity when discussing publicly what it actually did.

No really interesting thinkers ever come out of Singapore (so in that respect too, GEP is a total failure)...and it is not surprising, given the way the MOE conducts itself when it encounters any unusual child. It just doesn't know what to do. That wouldn't be so bad, but it doesn't listen, either, to people who do know what to do (ie. the parents, who know the child best of all).

Personally, if I had our lives again, we would not have had anything at all to do with the GEP. We were better off without them.

Best wishes all. Have fun with the GEP, if you choose to become involved with them.

Theoneyouaretalkingabout
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

The proof is in the pudding

Postby Theoneyouaretalkingabout » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:40 pm

By the way, as one of you understands, the fact that we went to all the trouble of moving countries - and all the great effort and expense that involves - proves our side of the story. No-one, in this world, would move countries if their needs were being even remotely met, in the country they were previously residing in.

Singapore didn't meet Ainan's academic needs, at all...so we left. Had they met them, we would have stayed.

So, the MOE can lie all it likes, but to smart, discerning people, who can see through lies, the very fact that we left, is proof of our side of the story. That should be very obvious.

Thanks for reading.

Theoneyouaretalkingabout
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: MOE propanganda

Postby 2ppaamm » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:33 pm

Theoneyouaretalkingabout wrote:Contrary to the idea expressed by one of you, that the MOE is keeping quiet so as to not "hurt the boy's ego"...the MOE are actually telling a lot of lies, through the media. Their side of the story is a complete fabrication designed to make them look good.

I wrote to the editor of the New Paper, about the lies, but he was very dismissive saying "write to us when you have something important to say". Disgusting, really.

The MOE has shown a lack of ability or willingness to meet Ainan's academic needs...and then a lack of honesty and integrity when discussing publicly what it actually did.

No really interesting thinkers ever come out of Singapore (so in that respect too, GEP is a total failure)...and it is not surprising, given the way the MOE conducts itself when it encounters any unusual child. It just doesn't know what to do. That wouldn't be so bad, but it doesn't listen, either, to people who do know what to do (ie. the parents, who know the child best of all).

Personally, if I had our lives again, we would not have had anything at all to do with the GEP. We were better off without them.

Best wishes all. Have fun with the GEP, if you choose to become involved with them.

Curious, are you the father or the mother? :?

If the father, why would you bother to go through all these depths with MOE since you are gifted yourself. Certainly you would have much more resources than what has been reported... :idea:

And, are you sure Malaysia is the best place to nurture your child? An exceptionally or profoundly gifted child can never fit into ANY system. That is how much I know... I thought you would too. By the way, talking about passing all the tests with flying colors.... Einstein's IQ was tested at only 85. What do you think we should make out of that? Just curious what you think...

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres