35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby MotherHen » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:19 pm

[quote="thmejlfm"]Thank you, vlim and Flowermonaster.

My dd very weak in this subject. This SA result only Maths improved. The rest not so good. Only the SS above 80. :sweat: Her Chinese compo, the teacher said she wrote very well. But '离题‘。 :slapshead: English supposed to be her strong subject. But, now, so so....

I heard P5 will be very 'siong'.. Don't know how....

:scratchhead:

Hi thmejlfm,

Don't give up. I was at wit's end too just not too long ago, cos it seemed dd was sliding downhill at breakneck speed (and brake was not engaging :yikes: ). Literally right before the exams, I had a talk with her about not neglecting her exams. She really bucked up for SA2, and did surprisingly well for Science, which was her worst subject too.

For SA2, she really sat down and went through all her school notes (I think for the first time in this entire year), then spent a whole weekend doing past year exam papers. Even though these are mainstream school exam papers, but I think it really helped her to consolidate the information as the concepts are basically the same.

As for English, GEP English papers are tough (to me, at least), especially comprehension. So I believe most geppers will see a dip in their English marks (vs before).

MotherHen
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MotherHen » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:26 pm

25hr mama wrote:My dd's teachers told them they won't know their marks for Chinese & English Compo, is this the same for all schools?

Will the kids be given some marks at least, even it is "离题"?

& Sorry to ask again, anyone know what is "STD DEV" as stated in the report book? Thanks in advance. :)

dd knows all her marks for CL & EL compo.

Even if 离题,I believe marks will still be given. Marks will be low for content, but there's still the language component.

MotherHen
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby 25hr mama » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:38 pm

Hi thmejlfm, dun be too discouraged. I'm sure wif encouragement & proper guidance, she will do better.

I'm sure many parents share the same sentiments. When our kids were in mainstream, they basically breezed thru all exams, topping class or level without much problems. But when come to GEP, they need to put in more effort, as all the subjects r pitched at a higher level, in order to tap to their so called "fullest potential", I guess.

Hence, both parents & kids have to manage their expectations more realistically. I dun think it is wise to expect them to excel in every paper, in all subjects. A little setback is necessary & good for the kids sometimes.

25hr mama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby thmejlfm » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:59 pm

Thanks for all the replies and sharing.

I talking to my dd last night whether she has regreted of joining the GEP, her answer was 'no'.

I will try to help and encourage her. Again, she ask for science tuition. Where should I send her to? Except the LL.
:thankyou:

thmejlfm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Flowermonaster » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:40 pm

thmejlfm wrote:Thanks for all the replies and sharing.

I talking to my dd last night whether she has regreted of joining the GEP, her answer was 'no'.

I will try to help and encourage her. Again, she ask for science tuition. Where should I send her to? Except the LL.

Yeah, I believed she will do well next year as she got the right attitude. Do you know which part she is weak in for her science? May be find out what she is weak in & see if can strengthen that area this holiday. Like If she is not clear in the concept or weak in general knowledge? If weak in General knowledge then must read more science books. If need advice on what to read, u k pm me.

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby thmejlfm » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:58 pm

I have not seen her paper yet.. She told me need to know how to answer correctly.

Her teacher did mention to me read the encyclopedia. I don't know which one to buy.

Flowermonaster wrote:

Yeah, I believed she will do well next year as she got the right attitude. Do you know which part she is weak in for her science? May be find out what she is weak in & see if can strengthen that area this holiday. Like If she is not clear in the concept or weak in general knowledge? If weak in General knowledge then must read more science books. If need advice on what to read, u k pm me.

thmejlfm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby vlim » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:19 pm

thmejlfm wrote:I have not seen her paper yet.. She told me need to know how to answer correctly.

Her teacher did mention to me read the encyclopedia. I don't know which one to buy

Emmm... If your dd problem is don't know how to answer open ended qns.... I don't think reading enc helps though it helps to Improve g knowledge. I think doing more past exam papers would help .... Study and analysis the answers given ..

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby thmejlfm » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:36 pm

I will ask her to do more past exam papers.
But, as for Science, some time the answer can be various. That's why sometime, I also don't know whether her answer is it acceptable or not.

Still need pro to help.

vlim wrote:
thmejlfm wrote:I have not seen her paper yet.. She told me need to know how to answer correctly.

Her teacher did mention to me read the encyclopedia. I don't know which one to buy

Emmm... If your dd problem is don't know how to answer open ended qns.... I don't think reading enc helps though it helps to Improve g knowledge. I think doing more past exam papers would help .... Study and analysis the answers given ..

thmejlfm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ksasalways » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:51 pm

Her teacher did mention to me read the encyclopedia. I don't know which one to buy.

Flowermonaster wrote:

Holiday coming...throw her into the library and get her read as much as possible....forget about buying...

ksasalways
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby thmejlfm » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:55 pm

She will be very happy to go there. But, I think she will read other books, instead of science.

Holiday coming...throw her into the library and get her read as much as possible....forget about buying...[/quote]

thmejlfm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres