Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby vlim » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:46 pm

Zann wrote:
vlim wrote:My ds will be receiving one too for Science..it comes as a little surprise as it is not his strongest subject :dancing:

:congrats: Vlim and ds. Can feel you joy! We too caught the little surprise last year when ds brought back the letter. You will receive an official invitation card from NSW which you need to fax in or call to confirm your attendance. There will be a buffet dinner treat too. Enjoy!

huh...didn't realise need to call to confirm our attendance!!! Just email them to confirm our attendance...can still go or not huh?...it is on this thursday.. :roll:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 25hr mama » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:20 pm

vlim wrote:
Zann wrote:
vlim wrote:My ds will be receiving one too for Science..it comes as a little surprise as it is not his strongest subject :dancing:

:congrats: Vlim and ds. Can feel you joy! We too caught the little surprise last year when ds brought back the letter. You will receive an official invitation card from NSW which you need to fax in or call to confirm your attendance. There will be a buffet dinner treat too. Enjoy!

huh...didn't realise need to call to confirm our attendance!!! Just email them to confirm our attendance...can still go or not huh?...it is on this thursday.. :roll:

Stated in the invitation card, RSVP by 21 October leh.

25hr mama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby vlim » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:28 pm

25hr mama wrote:
vlim wrote:

Stated in the invitation card, RSVP by 21 October leh.

Alamak I do not expect need to call mah .... Sure go mah .... Emmm tomorrow morning shall call them :cry:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 25hr mama » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:45 pm

Hi vlim, juz go ahead & send them a email now, then follow-up wif a phone call tomorrow. I gave them call b4 21 Oct, but was asked to send a email instead. Email attention to: Ms Mary Tan, I think shez the lady in charge.

25hr mama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby vlim » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:53 pm

25hr mama wrote:Hi vlim, juz go ahead & send them a email now, then follow-up wif a phone call tomorrow. I gave them call b4 21 Oct, but was asked to send a email instead. Email attention to: Ms Mary Tan, I think shez the lady in charge.

Thanks 24hr mama.. I have emailed just now to info@ UNSW.com.sg.... Will call them tomorrow also .... :roll:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bluesclue » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:59 pm

25hr mama wrote:My dd's teachers told them they won't know their marks for Chinese & English Compo, is this the same for all schools?

Will the kids be given some marks at least, even it is "离题"?

& Sorry to ask again, anyone know what is "STD DEV" as stated in the report book? Thanks in advance. :)

Hi, am not a parent of Geppers, but allow me to answer your question on Std Dev.

I believe it is the short form for Standard deviation, which is a statistical measurement of the spread ( or variability) of a set of data, in your case, the score , around a mean score of the entire cohort.

The standard deviation measures how much - on average - individual scores of a given group vary (or deviate) from the average (or mean) score for this same group.

If the scores are normally distributed, as is the case in most test measurements in the real world, then 68% of the scores will fall within one standard deviation, or one sigma, of the mean score.

I think your child's school maybe trying to highlite to you her score relative to the mean score of the cohort.

For the above to be valid, the sample size has to be "big enough", and the measurement has to be taken from random occurance, now, in the GEP environment, I m not so sure the test results are "random" enough for the mean/ standard deviation observation to draw any conclusion.

Just my 2cents.

bluesclue
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby 25hr mama » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:32 pm

Thanks bluesclue for the reply. :)

25hr mama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby just888 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:36 pm

8228 wrote:
Didn't know there is a paper for computing. Interesting but what is the purpose of taking this paper? Just for fun?!

This is the info on Computing Skill from the website: The International Competitions and Assessments for Schools (ICAS) – Computer Skills assesses skills and knowledge in the areas of:
    operating systems and computer hardware
    networks and other communications systems
    word processing
    graphics and multimedia
    spreadsheets
    databases
    internet use and email programs
    programming (papers G and H only)
The use of technology in the classroom by students is embedded in the syllabus documents of all key learning areas and is most effective if it is taught in this context.

just888
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby vlim » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:10 am

25hr mama wrote:Hi vlim, juz go ahead & send them a email now, then follow-up wif a phone call tomorrow. I gave them call b4 21 Oct, but was asked to send a email instead. Email attention to: Ms Mary Tan, I think shez the lady in charge.

Hi 25hr mama,
I have just called them. Heng ah , ok can go :dancing: .. I was asked to go on time and how many of us is going.. :dancing: ... Thanks!

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 25hr mama » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:39 am

vlim wrote:

Hi 25hr mama,
I have just called them. Heng ah , ok can go :dancing: .. I was asked to go on time and how many of us is going.. :dancing: ... Thanks!

Good! Good! Good! :dancing: c u there, vlim. Dun forget to wear school uniform hor. :)

25hr mama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP