Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby csc » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:46 am

Having a quiet, simple and blended-in life with everyone is a GIFT itself. That, would be the greatest gift I can give my children - to have friends, to run around, to know that he/she is being accepted, to be just one of the guys. I will not take that GIFT away from them, in exchange to nurture other less important gifts.

:celebrate:

I like this.

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 2ppaamm » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:48 am

watmekiasu wrote:Why don't we give him the benefit of the doubt? It is very possible that his own son wants to push ahead to things that interests and challenges him and not the other way round. As for the local media - :roll:

Never doubted once that this kid is a prodigy, and probably very motivated and wanted to pursue all these himself. In fact, I believe if well nurtured, this boy will change the world. Point is, what exactly is NURTURE? Just academically?

JMHO (generally, not referring to anyone in particular), nurturing a genius is not about bringing his gifts to a higher and higher level, he will know how to do that. He will know how to find his resources, invent them, and even predict them. It is about blending him into a world and making him a useful contribution to the society, country and world, so that he brings interesting, unconventional and USEFUL solutions to the society. How else can he shine? If we focus on emphasizing his giftedness and how different he is, then aren't we alienating him from the world? Hm... the exact opposite of what we should do? What's the point of talking if no one understands his logic, inventing things that only geniuses can use, unable to hold down a job, no friends, don't even know what basic human needs are... What will his contribution in this world be?

It is not about how gifted you are. It is what you do with those gifts that counts.

O, just me and one of my self-invented quotes again. :lol:

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phankao » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:54 am

Theoneyouaretalkingabout wrote: In fact, I don't know why anyone would want to stay in Singapore and struggle on with its rigidities, rules and inflexibilities.

It is clear that we should have made this move years ago.

Now, let me see ... i do think dh & quite a number of others likewise moved to study in singapore for secondary/jc bc of "rigidities in rules" - barriers to opportunities rather, that were open to them in Singapore and not in their home country. I'm sure there are similar m'sians here on this board?

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bcet0104 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:25 am

2ppaamm wrote:JMHO (generally, not referring to anyone in particular), nurturing a genius is not about bringing his gifts to a higher and higher level, he will know how to do that. He will know how to find his resources, invent them, and even predict them. It is about blending him into a world and making him a useful contribution to the society, country and world, so that he brings interesting, unconventional and USEFUL solutions to the society. How else can he shine? If we focus on emphasizing his giftedness and how different he is, then aren't we alienating him from the world? Hm... the exact opposite of what we should do? What's the point of talking if no one understands his logic, inventing things that only geniuses can use, unable to hold down a job, no friends, don't even know what basic human needs are... What will his contribution in this world be?

It is not about how gifted you are. It is what you do with those gifts that counts.

O, just me and one of my self-invented quotes again. :lol:

Hi 2ppaamm,

I have been lurking arnd reading the interesting comments for a while. After reading your post, I cant help but agree with you.

I have a son who is highly intelligent and quirky (I am not sure if he is qualified to be labeled gifted or not, but it doesnt really matter to us). There are times when we wonder if he has Aspergers. After numerous assessments, it was concluded that he is just the typical high IQ, low EQ child. He may pick up academic knowledge easily but he just can't handle "gray matter"... to him, the world functions solely on logic and everything is either "black or white".

Despite doing very well academically, he has few friends and may occasionally offend his friends and teachers unknowingly. Over the past few years, we have sought many intervention and have sent him to many social skill classes. We spent hours each day explaining the social rules to him, running through scenarios and what he should do in a social situation etc etc.

We are very thankful to his former teachers who have been very understanding and will often take time to explain and show him the right social responses in a given situation. It has taken many years, but we are starting to see him learning how to make friends, showing care and getting along better with others. THAT to us, that is the best education he has ever had.

Yes, there will be the lucky few who are blessed with both high intelligence and great social skills. But for our case, while we are thankful for his intelligence, we also recognise the need to do our best as his parents to help him develop on his social skills.

bcet0104
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Way2GO » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:02 am

Mr. Cawley,
We know the local press is state controlled. The system can be rigid and inflexible and many of us encountered the frustrations before.
What I don't get is that you continue to rant and run down Singapore, MOE and now GEPers
and encouraged comments that race/nationality is an issue every chance you get on your blog.
So let’s forget for a moment what’s said in the New Paper and ST and let's clarify with you a few things in this forum so everybody can understand better you and your motives better.

Ainan was already given special treatment over and above what Singapore children get when at 7, special arrangements were made by MOE GE Branch to assist him educationally though ultimately not to your satisfaction.
Granted that Chemistry is an experimental subject and more resources are needed for practicals, are you also not demanding much more than what you, and by extension, your family are willing to give in return?

You are British. Do you still carry a British passport or are u now a full fledged Singapore citizen who can recite the national pledge? There's something in that pledge about 'regardless of race', u know?
Your wife is a local born Malay. The Malays are accorded special privileges, in particular free education, under the Singapore constitution. You must know this. Are u tapping into this to milk the system?

Are u asking MOE, and by extension Singaporeans, to foot the bill for your son’s accelerated education but where is YOUR commitment?
It wouldn’t end with Ainan would it since you also said your two younger sons are also gifted.
Does MOE has to open its coffers for all parents who demand that THEIR kids are gifted and special and also needs special treatment. Well, to parents, their own kids are ALL special.

Where is your allegiance, Mr. Cawley? Where will your sons’ allegiance be when they come of age?

As far back as 2007, correct me if I am wrong, you started a worldwide search to put Ainan into a Uni.
I am really REALLY curious if Ainan is such a talent as you said (though he is no doubt a chemistry prodigy), that not one UNI offered him a place till HELP University College. Why didn’t any of the British or other more renowned university take him in?
HELP is not on the radar when most people speak of top universities. Since you are British, why didn’t you ask for the same special treatment from the British government that you asked of MOE?
Why are you asking for donations in your blog?

I am more inclined to believe that you were demanding much more than what MOE was prepared to give, and when those demands were not met to your satisfaction and both agendas did not coincide, you left an angry man.

But please stop playing the race card. Race is not an issue here. Ainan and his brothers shouldn’t be brought up thinking this was the underlying reason for your family to uproot and settle in Malaysia.

What I said herein notwithstanding, I do wish you and your family well in your endeavours.

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cluelessmom » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:21 am

:rahrah: Way2Go!!!!

cluelessmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby EN » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:20 pm

You are British. Do you still carry a British passport or are u now a full fledged Singapore citizen who can recite the national pledge? There's something in that pledge about 'regardless of race', u know?
Your wife is a local born Malay. The Malays are accorded special privileges, in particular free education, under the Singapore constitution. You must know this. Are u tapping into this to milk the system?

I thought the child's race follows the father? Friends of mix marriages still need to pay full amount of school fees. It is only this year that there is a change. Open to parents to decide what to state the child race is.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 2ppaamm » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:39 pm

Oops, have we been to harsh on him? Silence already leh.... If we have, please accept my apologies. I didn't mean to criticize... everyone has a right to what they think, I'm just voicing mine.

In any case, I'm not a 100% supporter of any education system, including Singapore's. But hey, let's give credits when credits are due. Singapore did A LOT for your child. It just didn't meet your expectations. What will happen if HELP does not meet your expectations again? Just wondering...

If I have a child interested in chemistry, I'd find ways to support him, like building a lab (have you seen those on TV and cinemas?). But O, that's just me. The world just doesn't have to agree that mine's a genius or not. His gifts are for him to enjoy, and if he is able, to serve the world. Just my view again.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:33 pm

wa..way2go..reading your post makes my heart beat stop for 3 mins... :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: .. :wink:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Wasilaupei » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:24 pm

No worry people. the student in HELP Uni will teach his son well in many social ill skill. :lol:

he will learn how the smell of super glue is like and what cocaine taste like. :rotflmao:

Wasilaupei
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

PreviousNext

Return to GEP