55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby comfy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:07 pm

Neko wrote:
pinball wrote:Hi,

Can I check does anyone send their children to Learning Lab GEP classes?

My son goes there for maths and english classes, which is more like an enrichment for him cos he wants to learn more than what is being taught in school and I am not good at finding the materials or support his love for learning. He really enjoys attending TLL.

Since he is now accepted to GEP, I was thinking maybe the work would be more challenging so no longer need to attend TLL. We may want to drop all the classes at TLL.

Can some parents with kids from GEP able to share what is the workload like and if your kids have problem coping with it?

Thanks

Workload for P4 is okay.

I am not sure if the syllabus at TLL follows GEP closely. Some kids attend enrichment cos they need extra help; some attend cos they are eager to learn beyond what is taught in school.

If your DS is enjoys the enrichment lessons there perhaps let him continue for a term next year before making a decision whether to carry on or not?

I agree with Neko. It is a good idea to let him continue if he likes the lessons esp Math. If he happen to get a lousy GEP math teacher than attending TLL is definitely good for him. If not, it still a bonus. You can still withdraw him if he performs well.

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby pinball » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:46 pm

Thank you everyone for sharing, will let him continue withTLL and decide later if he should stop. :smile:

pinball
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby shalomger » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:07 am

Hi all! My son just got the yellow envelope on Friday. :) We have not sent him for any enrichment or tuition classes before. Is it neccessary for us to do so now that he insert in GEP? Will this add too much pressure on them as the GEP is seemingly challenging in workload?

Which schools are your kids in and how did they cope with the change to a new school/ culture?

My DS is from a neighborhood primary school. DH and I placed him there as it is nearby our place. Now he is keen on ACS...

How are the school fees like btw? Is there a huge jump in fees that have to be paid - misc fees, Sch fees etc?

shalomger
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Herbie » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:54 am

sch fees will be the same as wat u aee paying now. Getting into acs ay be challenging cos the sch will take in their current acs first so the no of opening left may be quite limited.

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:49 am

shalomger wrote:Hi all! My son just got the yellow envelope on Friday. :) We have not sent him for any enrichment or tuition classes before. Is it neccessary for us to do so now that he insert in GEP? Will this add too much pressure on them as the GEP is seemingly challenging in workload?

Which schools are your kids in and how did they cope with the change to a new school/ culture?

My DS is from a neighborhood primary school. DH and I placed him there as it is nearby our place. Now he is keen on ACS...

How are the school fees like btw? Is there a huge jump in fees that have to be paid - misc fees, Sch fees etc?

There's no need to send your son for tuition or enrichment classes. Some schools actually frown on tuition because they feel that all the kid needs to know he will be taught in school. Go ahead and start school without tuition and see how your son copes. If he's struggling then consider tuition.

All primary schools have the same school fees.

ACS is a very popular choice among boys for GEP. Some years their own students from ACPS and ACJS will take up a sizeable number of GEP vacancies leaving very little for outsiders. If you're keen on ACS you can ask more about the vacancies situation during the parents briefing.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby shalomger » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:06 pm

Thanks for your kind replies and pointers. :) Shall speak to DS about what's been discussed. :)

shalomger
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Michecplow » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:27 pm

shalomger wrote:Hi all! My son just got the yellow envelope on Friday. :) We have not sent him for any enrichment or tuition classes before. Is it neccessary for us to do so now that he insert in GEP? Will this add too much pressure on them as the GEP is seemingly challenging in workload?

hi, its not necessary need to go for tuition ,and it is not true that most of the students r attending TLL . in my ds class , 5 to 6 of them are with TLL, & my ds has never wt TLL.
P4 SA 1 is challenging , but for SA2 , i believe most kids have used to the style & format of GE , hence they should be able to cope .

Michecplow
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Herbie » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:42 pm

Michecplow wrote:
shalomger wrote:
hi, its not necessary need to go for tuition ,and it is not true that most of the students r attending TLL . in my ds class , 5 to 6 of them are with TLL, & my ds has never wt TLL.
P4 SA 1 is challenging , but for SA2 , i believe most kids have used to the style & format of GE , hence they should be able to cope .

Yes, it is not necessary to go for tuition.

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby shalomger » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:45 pm

That is good to hear. :)

shalomger
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Flowermonaster » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:00 am

Can anyone post the list of P6 science topics?
I was looking for "An American Childhood" & "I know why the caged birds sing" at Kinokuniya but was told out-of-stock. Anyone want to sell me their old copy or know anywhere I can find them?
MTIA!

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge