35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby slgbr1 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:11 am

I believe the briefing is tomorrow. My son is in P4 GEP this year (his 1st year). Truely a great experience for the kid and parents.
In terms of school of choice, personally, I feel all are equal as they take the same exam papers in all GEP school. Exposure are also similar. This will be explained during the parent briefing session.
I feel that distance is important and GEP tend to have more homework and project work. So, time is an essence. If the school is too far, the kids will be so tired after lessons.

slgbr1
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby TakeKFCHome » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:28 pm

Pros of HPPS-
BIG field (next year at holding site)
Good teachers
Discipline rules
Location suitable for people around Bukit Timah
Organised Bus Services
Cons-
No shirt pocket (uniform)
P5 GEP Buddies next year (like me) cannot guide too well (due to HPPS moving to Mt. Sinai temporarily)
*For Teachers* Workspace too small (next year)

And I know it very well because I am a P4 HPPS GEP student this year.

TakeKFCHome
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby TakeKFCHome » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:33 pm

This is what I chose for my three choices last year (i'm a student)
1. NYPS
2.NHPS
3. HPPS
And I got HPPS.

But if:
1. NHPS
2.NYPS
3. HPPS
You'll probably get NHPS.

TakeKFCHome
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jtoh » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:00 pm

Super.kiasu wrote:if you put only one choice of school and that school is full what will happen?

You'll go to the school nearest your home that has vacancies.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby comfy » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:35 pm

TakeKFCHome wrote:This is what I chose for my three choices last year (i'm a student)
1. NYPS
2.NHPS
3. HPPS
And I got HPPS.

But if:
1. NHPS
2.NYPS
3. HPPS
You'll probably get NHPS.

Is it possible bec your P3's school is a non-sap school that why you are posted to HPPS?

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Bay » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:34 am

Flowermonaster wrote:
Bay wrote:
Flowermonaster wrote:Can anyone post the list of P6 science topics?
I was looking for "An American Childhood" & "I know why the caged birds sing" at Kinokuniya but was told out-of-stock. Anyone want to sell me their old copy or know anywhere I can find them?
MTIA!

Hi Flowermonaster,

The 2 books you mentioned "An American Childhood" and "I know why the caged birds sing" - are these children's novels or books used in the GEP?? For English? Literature???

It's the P6 GEP Extensive Reading Programme list. They are part of the choices for Term 1 work.

Thanks, Flowermonaster. I'm new to GEP. Surprise to see 'Charlotte's Web' in the P4 booklist. Is this for P4 extensive reading? For reading purpose only or do they do in depth study as in literature? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Bay
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Flowermonaster » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:12 am

Bay wrote:
Flowermonaster wrote:It's the P6 GEP Extensive Reading Programme list. They are part of the choices for Term 1 work.

Thanks, Flowermonaster. I'm new to GEP. Surprise to see 'Charlotte's Web' in the P4 booklist. Is this for P4 extensive reading? For reading purpose only or do they do in depth study as in literature? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Yes, "Charlotte's Web" is their literature book. The teacher will go through with them. They will have group study & assignment on it later.

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dagong99 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:38 pm

Hi Flowermonaster,

The 2 books you mentioned "An American Childhood" and "I know why the caged birds sing" - are these children's novels or books used in the GEP?? For English? Literature???[/quote]
It's the P6 GEP Extensive Reading Programme list. They are part of the choices for Term 1 work.[/quote]

Thanks, Flowermonaster. I'm new to GEP. Surprise to see 'Charlotte's Web' in the P4 booklist. Is this for P4 extensive reading? For reading purpose only or do they do in depth study as in literature? Any advice is greatly appreciated.[/quote]

Can share with us when can we get this GEP Extensive Reading list ? I had "Charlotte's web" at home from someone which I can't remember who, but just to check the contents should be the same regardless of which publisher, right ? The other two books that you mentioned "An American Childhood" and "I know why the caged birds sing", can we find it any where ?

dagong99
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Flowermonaster » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:33 pm

dagong99 wrote:
Can share with us when can we get this GEP Extensive Reading list ? I had "Charlotte's web" at home from someone which I can't remember who, but just to check the contents should be the same regardless of which publisher, right ? The other two books that you mentioned "An American Childhood" and "I know why the caged birds sing", can we find it any where ?

The 2 books r meant for P6. If I rem correctly, your kid will be P4 next year right? I don't think there is any problem using Charlotte's Web from other publisher. My DS prefer to use his own copy. As for the ERP list, the school will give you a copy at a later date. You will get a new list every year.

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby shalomger » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:11 pm

What if our choice is

1) ACS
2) SHPS
3) RS
4) HPPS

We indicate religion (Protestant), distance (TPY- newton), CCA (Chess) & Methodist background as our reason for selecting option 1.

We placed DS into a coed neighborhood school just 3mins walk away & were told the school will consider affiliations before distance, CCA, etc. :(

Does the school or MOE make the final decision?

shalomger
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres