Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby jtoh » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:02 pm

shalomger wrote:What if our choice is

1) ACS
2) SHPS
3) RS
4) HPPS

We indicate religion (Protestant), distance (TPY- newton), CCA (Chess) & Methodist background as our reason for selecting option 1.

We placed DS into a coed neighborhood school just 3mins walk away & were told the school will consider affiliations before distance, CCA, etc. :(

Does the school or MOE make the final decision?

How come you've indicated both Protestant and Methodist as your religion? If you're Protestant, it has no bearing on ACS.

CCA has little bearing too.

The allocation of schools is done by MOE.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby dagong99 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:38 pm

Flowermonaster wrote:
dagong99 wrote:
Can share with us when can we get this GEP Extensive Reading list ? I had "Charlotte's web" at home from someone which I can't remember who, but just to check the contents should be the same regardless of which publisher, right ? The other two books that you mentioned "An American Childhood" and "I know why the caged birds sing", can we find it any where ?

The 2 books r meant for P6. If I rem correctly, your kid will be P4 next year right? I don't think there is any problem using Charlotte's Web from other publisher. My DS prefer to use his own copy. As for the ERP list, the school will give you a copy at a later date. You will get a new list every year.

Ya, P4 next year & thanks for the info.

dagong99
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phankao » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:21 am

jtoh wrote:How come you've indicated both Protestant and Methodist as your religion? If you're Protestant, it has no bearing on ACS.

Methodist is Protestant, mah.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phankao » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:21 am

jtoh wrote:How come you've indicated both Protestant and Methodist as your religion? If you're Protestant, it has no bearing on ACS.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:01 am

phankao wrote:

Thanks for pointing that out. But not all Protestants are Methodists right? So if you're using religion as an advantage in getting into ACS, isn't it better to just state Methodist.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby justcoping » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:18 am

Hi (on behalf of a friend),
Would like to find out if it's advisable for a child who has no home support (as his parents are not highly educated) to accept the GEP offer? He is highly gifted in Math but not so for EL as they do not speak EL at home. They cannot afford tuition too. Thanks

justcoping
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby comfy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:33 am

justcoping wrote:Hi (on behalf of a friend),
Would like to find out if it's advisable for a child who has no home support (as his parents are not highly educated) to accept the GEP offer? He is highly gifted in Math but not so for EL as they do not speak EL at home. They cannot afford tuition too. Thanks

Will they accept if their child get borderline mark in EL? Will the kid be happy with that? If the answer is positive then can encourage the kid to try. Gep EL can be tough and if a kid is borderline or need help normally there is a remedial lessons but alot still depends on the aptitude and attitude of the kid.

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby vlim » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:33 am

Hi how about his ability for other subjects such as science and chinese?
Anyway not all gep students have tuitions. Being from a low income family I feel tt it is a great opportunity for him to into gep as I think moe has spend alot in forming up this programme... We can't get this sort of gifted programme from any enrichment center out there .... And lastly the attitude of the kid. If he is prepared to work hard and face the challenging gep then, I think he should go in... Most gep schools do give remedial lessons to kids who are weak in a particular subjects....
Hope my little info helps and congratulation to your friend and the boy!

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MrsSeah » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:00 am

If feel if he is able to get into GEP, his english standard will not be that bad. Since he had passed thru the TOUGH English paper during the selection exam.

I would said, go for it. :dancing:

MrsSeah
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Flowermonaster » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:12 am

Is he keen to go? If he is then should go. It's not every time you get this type of offer. Congrats to him & his family!

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge