55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby justcoping » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:15 am

vlim wrote:
justcoping wrote:Hi (on behalf of a friend),
Would like to find out if it's advisable for a child who has no home support (as his parents are not highly educated) to accept the GEP offer? He is highly gifted in Math but not so for EL as they do not speak EL at home. They cannot afford tuition too. Thanks

Hi how about his ability for other subjects such as science and chinese?
Anyway not all gep students have tuitions. Being from a low income family I feel tt it is a great opportunity for him to into gep as I think moe has spend alot in forming up this programme... We can't get this sort of gifted programme from any enrichment center out there .... And lastly the attitude of the kid. If he is prepared to work hard and face the challenging gep then, I think he should go in... Most gep schools do give remedial lessons to kids who are weak in a particular subjects....
Hope my little info helps and congratulation to your friend and the boy!

Thanks so much vlim. I'm really unsure about Science but his Chinese is ok (it's a friend's friend). It seemed that he was fortunate to have a good EL tr in Primary 1 who imparted the ability to read as well as the love for reading so he's still able to manage a B1 after a series of B3s and B2s in P1 and P2. He's very good with Math -- do not need coaching it seems and he can still do well. If he gets a question wrong, it's only due to his inability to understand the question which happened in P1 and P2 so his grades then were high B2.

Not much support from home. Parents didn't even know about briefing. The boy is making his own decision. That's about as much as I know. Btw, r there workshops that he must pay to attend in GEP? Are there Financial Assistance Schemes in GEP too?

He's motivated but I think his current school environment help. Are GEP trs nurturing? I think that is the key question.

justcoping
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Flowermonaster » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:34 am

Justcoping, I have pm you.

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:49 am

justcoping wrote:Thanks so much vlim. I'm really unsure about Science but his Chinese is ok (it's a friend's friend). It seemed that he was fortunate to have a good EL tr in Primary 1 who imparted the ability to read as well as the love for reading so he's still able to manage a B1 after a series of B3s and B2s in P1 and P2. He's very good with Math -- do not need coaching it seems and he can still do well. If he gets a question wrong, it's only due to his inability to understand the question which happened in P1 and P2 so his grades then were high B2.

Not much support from home. Parents didn't even know about briefing. The boy is making his own decision. That's about as much as I know. Btw, r there workshops that he must pay to attend in GEP? Are there Financial Assistance Schemes in GEP too?

He's motivated but I think his current school environment help. Are GEP trs nurturing? I think that is the key question.

Gep students only need to pay monthly school's fee which is the same amount as mainstreamers.
As long as it is within the common syllubus and projects of GEP, it is all free. However, if the kid is qualify to join a CCA which is called Advance Maths Enrichment Club, the kid might have to pay an amount of ($50-$150 - 1 yr course) because the school will engage external Maths olympaid trainer to coach the kid. Only kids who past an entry test are invited to join this CCA. Nevertheless, I believe, irregard of whether the kids are from gep or mainstream, they can approach the school for financial assistance should they need help.
Other then this AMEC course, if the kid show good performance in certain subject, he might be chosen by the teacher to attend certain workshops which are mostly free also...
So in short.. not to worry, I believe the school can give assistance in that... so do some IP school like RI ...heard a distance relative of mine whose son is very bright but family income very low .. in the end RI give full financial assistance to the kid for his study in RI( kid not in gep)..
Probably advise the parents to inform the school of their needs for financial assistance first la.... :smile:
Last edited by vlim on Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby justcoping » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:50 am

Flowermonaster wrote:Justcoping, I have pm you.

yup, I've replied.

justcoping
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jtoh » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:56 am

justcoping wrote:
vlim wrote:
justcoping wrote:Hi (on behalf of a friend),
Would like to find out if it's advisable for a child who has no home support (as his parents are not highly educated) to accept the GEP offer? He is highly gifted in Math but not so for EL as they do not speak EL at home. They cannot afford tuition too. Thanks

Hi how about his ability for other subjects such as science and chinese?
Anyway not all gep students have tuitions. Being from a low income family I feel tt it is a great opportunity for him to into gep as I think moe has spend alot in forming up this programme... We can't get this sort of gifted programme from any enrichment center out there .... And lastly the attitude of the kid. If he is prepared to work hard and face the challenging gep then, I think he should go in... Most gep schools do give remedial lessons to kids who are weak in a particular subjects....
Hope my little info helps and congratulation to your friend and the boy!

Thanks so much vlim. I'm really unsure about Science but his Chinese is ok (it's a friend's friend). It seemed that he was fortunate to have a good EL tr in Primary 1 who imparted the ability to read as well as the love for reading so he's still able to manage a B1 after a series of B3s and B2s in P1 and P2. He's very good with Math -- do not need coaching it seems and he can still do well. If he gets a question wrong, it's only due to his inability to understand the question which happened in P1 and P2 so his grades then were high B2.

He sounds like a motivated little boy. It may be a little tougher on him but I think he should do alright. Not all students in GEP are strong in every subject. You don't need tuition nor academic support from parents in GEP. If he conscientiously pays attention in class and makes it a point to ask the teachers for help he should do fine.

In general, you don't have to pay for any GEP workshops etc. Some schools may ask you to pay for Math Olympiad classes but this is a school-intiiative rather than a GEP one. And it's optional. I don't think there are any Financial Assistance Schemes particularly for GEP.

From my experience, GEP-trained teachers are nurturing. As with some very bright kids, you will find that they will ask all sorts of questions in class and some can be disruptive. But the teachers know how to handle them without putting them down or disrupting the class.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby justcoping » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:13 am

Thanks so much for all the advice and really appreciate Flowermonster's offer. It seems that this boy wants to stay on in his current school (It's my friend's neighbour). It was his form tr who encouraged to take the GEP test. I thought it was a waste initially to reject the offer (when I heard about his situation) so I told my friend that I would find out more about it so she could advise him accordingly. But I just had a conversation with her and I think the boy has made up his mind. Thanks everyone for your advice.

justcoping
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby vlim » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:25 am

justcoping wrote:Thanks so much for all the advice and really appreciate Flowermonster's offer. It seems that this boy wants to stay on in his current school (It's my friend's neighbour). It was his form tr who encouraged to take the GEP test. I thought it was a waste initially to reject the offer (when I heard about his situation) so I told my friend that I would find out more about it so she could advise him accordingly. But I just had a conversation with her and I think the boy has made up his mind. Thanks everyone for your advice.

So is he accepting the GEP offer or staying in his current school?

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Flowermonaster » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:48 am

vlim wrote:
justcoping wrote:Thanks so much for all the advice and really appreciate Flowermonster's offer. It seems that this boy wants to stay on in his current school (It's my friend's neighbour). It was his form tr who encouraged to take the GEP test. I thought it was a waste initially to reject the offer (when I heard about his situation) so I told my friend that I would find out more about it so she could advise him accordingly. But I just had a conversation with her and I think the boy has made up his mind. Thanks everyone for your advice.

So is he accepting the GEP offer or staying in his current school?

I believed he decided to stay in his current school.

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby summerdream » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:31 pm

Dear Parents,

My girl was selected for GEP., but we are not for it as i feel that it is too stressful for her. She plea me to let her try... I am confused.
Anyone there could tell me ..are you kids coping well with GEP.? I really need your opinion .Thanks :-)

summerdream
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby cchew » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:20 pm

justcoping wrote:Not much support from home. Parents didn't even know about briefing. The boy is making his own decision. That's about as much as I know. Btw, r there workshops that he must pay to attend in GEP? Are there Financial Assistance Schemes in GEP too?

GEP can also apply for the MOE Financial Assistance Scheme (FAS) for Government and Government-Aided Schools
http://www.moe.gov.sg/initiatives/financial-assistance/

cchew
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres