Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby Flowermonaster » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:26 pm

summerdream wrote:Dear Parents,

My girl was selected for GEP., but we are not for it as i feel that it is too stressful for her. She plea me to let her try... I am confused.
Anyone there could tell me ..are you kids coping well with GEP.? I really need your opinion .Thanks :-)

What make you think it will be too stressful for her? Why don't you talk to her about the work load & the commitment she needs to put in when she join the GEP. If she is still willing to try, let her. If you never let her try, you will never know what she is capable of.
My DS is not the hardworking type, in fact he is lazy by nature. When he got selected 2 years ago, we r not sure if it's a good idea but decided to let him try since he wanted to go. He is coping fine now & never regret taking the challenge. On & off when his laziness appear, we will remind him. :wink:

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Way2GO » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:30 pm

My girl was selected for GEP., but we are not for it as i feel that it is too stressful for her. She plea me to let her try... I am confused.
Anyone there could tell me ..are you kids coping well with GEP.? I really need your opinion .Thanks :-)

dis is a one-off opportunity.
don't live with regret later for a path not taken.
wat hv ur child got to lose?
she can always go back to mainstream in P5 if she cannot cope.
d workload is heavier, however I haven't heard of one yet (in my limited experience) who couldn't cope.
If she is bored with mainstream work, she will find d GEP curriculum more interesting n enriching.

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dagong99 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:36 pm

cchew wrote:
justcoping wrote:Not much support from home. Parents didn't even know about briefing. The boy is making his own decision. That's about as much as I know. Btw, r there workshops that he must pay to attend in GEP? Are there Financial Assistance Schemes in GEP too?

He's motivated but I think his current school environment help. Are GEP trs nurturing? I think that is the key question.

GEP can also apply for the MOE Financial Assistance Scheme (FAS) for Government and Government-Aided Schools
http://www.moe.gov.sg/initiatives/financial-assistance/

I really admire this boy for his courage & independence, it's really a blessing to have such a mature boy as their son. I believe with the right attitude & determination, he will succeed in anything that he embark on. Wish him good luck & all the best !

dagong99
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Way2GO » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:37 pm

cchew wrote:
justcoping wrote:Not much support from home. Parents didn't even know about briefing. The boy is making his own decision. That's about as much as I know. Btw, r there workshops that he must pay to attend in GEP? Are there Financial Assistance Schemes in GEP too?

He's motivated but I think his current school environment help. Are GEP trs nurturing? I think that is the key question.

GEP can also apply for the MOE Financial Assistance Scheme (FAS) for Government and Government-Aided Schools
http://www.moe.gov.sg/initiatives/financial-assistance/

No extraneous payments as far as I know. GEPers primary school fees are d same as for mainstreamers.

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phankao » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:52 pm

jtoh wrote:
phankao wrote:
jtoh wrote:How come you've indicated both Protestant and Methodist as your religion? If you're Protestant, it has no bearing on ACS.

CCA has little bearing too.

The allocation of schools is done by MOE.

Methodist is Protestant, mah.

Thanks for pointing that out. But not all Protestants are Methodists right? So if you're using religion as an advantage in getting into ACS, isn't it better to just state Methodist.

I'm not sure what the form they fill in looks like, but usually under religion, they tend to put options like Catholic or Protestant(or Christian) and not list ALL the Christian demonations, etc.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:53 pm

If she really wants to, you should let her. As I've said before, the correct attitude to GEP goes a long way. Explain to her clearly the demands of the programme and what is expected of her, the new school environment, new friends she'll have to make etc. If she's still determined, let her go for it. You don't want to have her come back to you a few years down the road with regrets about not having gone for GEP.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sandunes » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:03 pm

jtoh wrote:

If she really wants to, you should let her. As I've said before, the correct attitude to GEP goes a long way. Explain to her clearly the demands of the programme and what is expected of her, the new school environment, new friends she'll have to make etc. If she's still determined, let her go for it. You don't want to have her come back to you a few years down the road with regrets about not having gone for GEP.

Agree with jtoh. If your dd wants to do it, u shld let her.

sandunes
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Bay » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:04 pm

Flowermonaster wrote:Yes, "Charlotte's Web" is their literature book. The teacher will go through with them. They will have group study & assignment on it later.

Wow! Doing literature at P4. I remembered I did that in Sec. Thanks for the info.

Bay
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jtoh » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:21 pm

Bay wrote:
Flowermonaster wrote:Yes, "Charlotte's Web" is their literature book. The teacher will go through with them. They will have group study & assignment on it later.

Wow! Doing literature at P4. I remembered I did that in Sec. Thanks for the info.

I believe a few mainstream schools also do literature at P4/P5. Of course it's nothing like the lit that's done in secondary school.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby 8228 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:06 pm

Should let her try. My ds has been enjoying the program so far.

BrownBelt
BrownBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres