Must Go
35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby phankao » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:09 pm

Way2GO wrote: There's something in that pledge about 'regardless of race', u know?
Your wife is a local born Malay. The Malays are accorded special privileges, in particular free education, under the Singapore constitution. You must know this. Are u tapping into this to milk the system?

No longer right? I thot the scheme expired after the 1980s or early 1990s...

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 2ppaamm » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:15 pm

bcet0104 wrote:I have a son who is highly intelligent and quirky (I am not sure if he is qualified to be labeled gifted or not, but it doesnt really matter to us). There are times when we wonder if he has Aspergers. After numerous assessments, it was concluded that he is just the typical high IQ, low EQ child. He may pick up academic knowledge easily but he just can't handle "gray matter"... to him, the world functions solely on logic and everything is either "black or white".

Hi bcet0104,

Your kid sounds like mine. Just that mine is a confirmed case of AS. But hey, we can always take everything in a good perspective, and I do believe everything happens for a good reason.

Perhaps you can understand even better where I am coming from. Being gifted or intelligent is really no big deal. So what if one is the smartest person in the world, and without a friend.

Without social skills and EQ, any person will become irrelevant. What should we choose - intelligence or wisdom. For my kids, I will go for the latter - anytime. With wisdom, everything else will fall into place.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 2ppaamm » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:16 pm

vlim wrote:wa..way2go..reading your post makes my heart beat stop for 3 mins... :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: .. :wink:

hehe... I got resuscitated now. Need help at your end? :D

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 2ppaamm » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:24 pm

csc wrote:I like this.
:thankyou:

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:28 pm

2ppaamm wrote:
vlim wrote:wa..way2go..reading your post makes my heart beat stop for 3 mins... :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: .. :wink:

hehe... I got resuscitated now. Need help at your end? :D

heheeee...no thanks 2ppaamm... :lol: :lol: :lol:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Way2GO » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:47 pm

phankao wrote:
Way2GO wrote: There's something in that pledge about 'regardless of race', u know?
Your wife is a local born Malay. The Malays are accorded special privileges, in particular free education, under the Singapore constitution. You must know this. Are u tapping into this to milk the system?

No longer right? I thot the scheme expired after the 1980s or early 1990s...

It's in the constitution.

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Way2GO » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:51 pm

Wasilaupei wrote:No worry people. the student in HELP Uni will teach his son well in many social ill skill. :lol:

he will learn how the smell of super glue is like and what cocaine taste like. :rotflmao:

Let's not go that route.
Ainan is the end game, not Mr. Cawley.
It's a real pity if he is misguided n go to waste
like some other progidies b4 him.

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 2ppaamm » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:53 pm

Way2GO wrote:
Wasilaupei wrote:No worry people. the student in HELP Uni will teach his son well in many social ill skill. :lol:

he will learn how the smell of super glue is like and what cocaine taste like. :rotflmao:

Let's not go that route.
Ainan is the end game, not Mr. Cawley.
It's a real pity if he is misguided n go to waste
like some other progidies b4 him.

Agree. He is definitely a talent that can be groomed to do great things for human kind. I hope Ainan will be greater than just being a child prodigy. Child prodigies don't go far. But a truly great scientist with a heart will.

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Way2GO » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:02 pm

EN wrote: I thought the child's race follows the father? Friends of mix marriages still need to pay full amount of school fees. It is only this year that there is a change. Open to parents to decide what to state the child race is.

Children with one expat parent hv the best of both worlds.
They hv a choice to go international or get into the local schools
if one of the parents is at least a PR.
Mrs Cawley is a Singaporean by birth.
Ainan was in Bukit Timah Primary.
PRs and SCs all pay token sums in local primary schools.
How much is tat? Very minimal sum.
Recently, the gahmen announced that the PRs 'd hv to pay more
to differentiate the PRs fr the SCs. Also a token gesture.
And what's the diff? For many, still negligible.

Way2GO
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:02 pm

Just side track a little.
Not all prodigies end up failure in life. There are in fact many more who are successful :wink:

An extract from Hoagies http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/grade_skipped.htm

So many times, only the negative examples of grade acceleration are remembered. For those who prefer a more positive outlook, here's a list of individuals who skipped one or more grades, and are successful in their fields... from professionals athletes to scientists to presidents to actors and actresses to Nobel Prize winners, and many, many more. There are far more positive examples than negative ones!
But there is no discernable pattern... grade skips occur in the U.S. and elsewhere, in early and late grades, in girls and boys. The only common factor is that all these individuals are both grade skipped and successful!

Neil Armstrong, astronaut, first man to walk on the Moon
Skipped mid-year from second to third grade. As as a 2nd grader, he was reading at a 5th grade level, so they moved him to third!

Warren Buffett, brilliant investor, world's first or second richest man, CEO of Berkshire Hathaway
Skipped once and graduated at 17.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres