Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby Mvm » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:45 am

summerdream wrote:Dear Parents,

My girl was selected for GEP., but we are not for it as i feel that it is too stressful for her. She plea me to let her try... I am confused.
Anyone there could tell me ..are you kids coping well with GEP.? I really need your opinion .Thanks :-)

Go for it. My dd too wanted it tho we were quite happy with her staying on in her non-GEP school. It was a good experience for her. Not everyone is given the opportunity,a nd there are many who pay BIG BUCKS to try to get their children into the program. If she doesnt enjoy it, she can still transfer back to her old school, anytime before the end of P6.

Mvm
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby photoelectric » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:58 am

Hi. Just to check. For those who are not selected for GEP after round 2, is there any letter that the child will receive to say they are not successful? I am curious because some parents seem to say they will receive such a letter?

photoelectric
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby summerdream » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:24 pm

Though we understand that it's good to try.. but the nearest GEP school from our home is Nanyang and the travelling time is approx an hour. The school bus will fetch her at 6am. We explained to her the pro and cons., and told her to make her decision.

summerdream
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:39 pm

photoelectric wrote:Hi. Just to check. For those who are not selected for GEP after round 2, is there any letter that the child will receive to say they are not successful? I am curious because some parents seem to say they will receive such a letter?

That's what I heard too but not sure from the school or MOE.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Neko » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:05 pm

Tomorrow dd will bid farewell to ...

very happy & fulfilling P5 days
the current school campus (moving to holding site)
a well loved teacher, leaving for a new posting after 27 (?) years teaching in GEP

Neko
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby vlim » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:08 pm

Neko wrote:Tomorrow dd will bid farewell to ...

very happy & fulfilling P5 days
the current school campus (moving to holding site)
a well loved teacher, leaving for a new posting after 27 (?) years teaching in GEP

Who is it? Mr grosse?

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Neko » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:15 pm

ya.

so sad, the students were so sure he'll be teaching them in p6. :gloomy:

he is a great teacher and mentor to my dd, discovering her hidden talent.

he's going to teach teachers, wonderful progression for him. all the best to Mr G!

Neko
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby vlim » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:17 pm

Neko wrote:ya.

so sad, the students were so sure he'll be teaching them in p6. :gloomy:

he is a great teacher and mentor to my dd, discovering her hidden talent.

he's going to teach teachers, wonderful progression for him. all the best to Mr G!

Oic ... A great lost to rosyth Ge students ....

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KSmom8 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:19 pm

summerdream wrote:Dear Parents,

My girl was selected for GEP., but we are not for it as i feel that it is too stressful for her. She plea me to let her try... I am confusted.
Anyone there could tell me ..are you kids coping well with GEP.? I really need your opinion .Thanks :-)

I think that if she is keen then she should try. If she does not like it, can transfer back to mainstream. Heard that a GEP kid in DS school did transfer back to P5 mainstream early this year.

For DS, it has been a difficult though enriching journey. In P4, he failed a test for a particular subject (which was alarming) and was not doing as well in another subject. We ended up enrolling him for enrichment classes, something that we might not have done if he had remained in mainstream.

Fortunately, he has done well in his P5 exams. His score is in the above average range. He has also been exposed to many other experiences, IRS exhibition and camps. He's more independent too!

If he had remained in his previous school, I think he would have an easier time and would still have had other opportunities, e.g. prefect, competitions, etc. Though I'm not sure whether he would have learnt as much as he does in GEP.

KSmom8
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby dagong99 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:00 am

Nebbermind wrote:
photoelectric wrote:Hi. Just to check. For those who are not selected for GEP after round 2, is there any letter that the child will receive to say they are not successful? I am curious because some parents seem to say they will receive such a letter?

That's what I heard too but not sure from the school or MOE.

My DS1 got this letter from MOE when he took 2nd Round 3 years ago. But not very sure if MOE does that now.

dagong99
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP