55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby comfy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:15 pm

Ribbon4 wrote:
comfy wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:Why tuition? It's not like they donch know the answers. It's a matter of how to interprete the PSLE science qns. Believe their GEP science teachers will start training them in term 3. Personally, better not send them to tuition centre and confuse them with another set of 'strategy'. :smile:?

Hi Nebbermind, why should the mainstream scientce tuition confuse them?
Pardon me as I am not a trained science teacher nor well-versed in science but I thought the fact and process or knowledge of science is the same whether it is in mainstream/GEP. When I take a look at the science GEP papers and the mainstream papers, the thing that are tested are bascially the same & I really don't see much difference in the ways the anwers are being answered. Perhaps in GEP the questions set are more lengthly & more 'lorso' than mainstream. :sweat:

The GEP questions require more lengthy answers with very detailed points but for mainstream they want short, concise and to the point answers so sometimes when GEP pupils answer mainstream questions with the GEP technique they lose marks because of overwriting so-called "irrelevant" points. its pretty annoying since sometimes the short answers dont directly answer the question but needs the long answer to explain the prior occurrences and the effects.

oic, thanks for the explanation. But so far in P4, I noticed that the answers given by the teacher are short, concise and to the point answers, while some mainstream papers can be pretty detailed. So maybe in P5 and P6, the Gep teachers might expect them to give long answers to explain. :? Or could it be that the mainstream papers' answers are following the trend of GEP?

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby comfy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:22 pm

MotherHen wrote:I think that for Science, the basic concepts are the same, whether for GEP or for mainstream. In fact, I felt that doing the mainstream Science papers really did help my DD in her final year exams this year (But I kinda filtered through before selecting some schools' papers for her to "attack").

That is what I think too. My dd did benefited from practising the mainstream Science papers especially Section B. :boogie:

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby MotherHen » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:33 pm

Actually I also feel that so far, the "model" answers given by the teachers have been concise and straight to the point. That's why I kept reminding DD not to give grandmother story-type answers :smile:

In fact, for mainstream paper practice, I got DD to work almost exclusively on Section B. We started revision really late and there was simply no time to pore through all the MCQs. In DD's case, it worked out. I think, like most students perhaps, she understands the concepts. She just needs the practice to translate / apply those concepts into succinct answers, and working on Section B really helped her to crystallize all that.

MotherHen
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby atutor2001 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:07 pm

For science, section B, regardless whether GEP or mainstream, the answer lies in the ability to understand "what the setter wants". The next step is to explain using only "key words" and the answer will be concise. But then, some times the question is vague. So we need to "spam" (play safe) by presenting the answer with more key words than actually required.

For example :
"What is the purpose of a circuit tester?"

Ans : It is to find out if 2 points are connected. (wrong because "connected" is not enough)

Ans : It is to find out if 2 points are connected by wire. (may also be incomplete as the points can be connected by other means that can conduct electricity)

Ans : It is to find out if 2 points are connected electrically. (may not be acceptable as "connected electrically" may not be acceptable key words)

Therefore, such a simple question can generate so many possible answers that may not be acceptable. However, if the students are trained to identified the topics and related key words i.e. "close circuit", "current can pass through" then he/she may present the answer as :

It is to find out if electric current can pass through the 2 points that are being tested. If current can pass through, the bulb of the circuit tester will light up as the circuit is closed. (the 2nd sentence is actually not necessary but it is "to play safe" as many science questions expect explanation although it is not stated)

Science section B is really difficult.

atutor2001
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Neko » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:55 pm

Flowermonaster wrote:
Neko wrote:I remember one of dd's teacher mentioned shdn't start preparing them for psle too early as they'll get 'sian' very fast

Ur DD P6 this year? Can advise when she starts her preparation? TIA.

dd is in P5 this year.

Neko
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby comfy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:00 pm

MotherHen wrote:Actually I also feel that so far, the "model" answers given by the teachers have been concise and straight to the point. That's why I kept reminding DD not to give grandmother story-type answers :smile:

In fact, for mainstream paper practice, I got DD to work almost exclusively on Section B. We started revision really late and there was simply no time to pore through all the MCQs. In DD's case, it worked out. I think, like most students perhaps, she understands the concepts. She just needs the practice to translate / apply those concepts into succinct answers, and working on Section B really helped her to crystallize all that.

:snuggles: glad to know that you think so too. I guess the GEP teacher will like the student to explore and come up with an answer but sometimes it is not easy to come out with a 'scientific' answer, hence by doing mainstream papers, I guess it kind of help, knowing that it is difficult to get hold of GEP assessments for practising. Ultimately, it is important for the kid to master/understand the concept whichever way (mainstream or GEP).

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby comfy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:03 pm

atutor2001 wrote:For science, section B, regardless whether GEP or mainstream, the answer lies in the ability to understand "what the setter wants". The next step is to explain using only "key words" and the answer will be concise. But then, some times the question is vague. So we need to "spam" (play safe) by presenting the answer with more key words than actually required.

For example :
"What is the purpose of a circuit tester?"

Ans : It is to find out if 2 points are connected. (wrong because "connected" is not enough)

Ans : It is to find out if 2 points are connected by wire. (may also be incomplete as the points can be connected by other means that can conduct electricity)

Ans : It is to find out if 2 points are connected electrically. (may not be acceptable as "connected electrically" may not be acceptable key words)

Therefore, such a simple question can generate so many possible answers that may not be acceptable. However, if the students are trained to identified the topics and related key words i.e. "close circuit", "current can pass through" then he/she may present the answer as :

It is to find out if electric current can pass through the 2 points that are being tested. If current can pass through, the bulb of the circuit tester will light up as the circuit is closed. (the 2nd sentence is actually not necessary but it is "to play safe" as many science questions expect explanation although it is not stated)

Science section B is really difficult.

Geez! (a word borrow from my dd), thanks atutor2001 for the detailed example. Yap, science questions is really tough as the year goes by. Glad that I am not a GEP kid but now has to 'suffer' as a GEP mom.

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby 25hr mama » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:33 pm

vlim wrote:
25hr mama wrote:Juz to clear my doubts... If GEP syllabus are set at a higher standard compared to mainstream, then can we assume that, whatever topics (whether Math, Science, Chinese etc) that r covered in mainstream, will also be covered in Gep, the difference is they r taught more in depth wif some additional topics that mainstream do not cover. Eg. For math, some topics r secondary level (shared by some parents here), same for English(sec std), then Geppers shd find PSLE easier, or score reasonably well right? No?? Wud appreciate advice from experienced parents. TIA :smile:

Yap .. Gep syllabus covers tt of mainstream ... NO worry ... And prior to prelim they will be given loads of past yrs papers to do so tt they will be expose to the 'psle' style / type of qns

:thankyou: vlim. Today is juz the beginning of the school holidays & I was like in a :dancing: mood. But here, I already see parents asking abt ERP list, assessment bks, past yrs papers, preparation for PSLE etc... Make me kind of "kancheong" also. :sweat:

25hr mama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Flowermonaster » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:50 pm

I think I saw a parent asking for P6 ERP list but cant seems to find the post. To that parent, do you still need the list?

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Neko » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:53 pm

Flowermonaster wrote:I think I saw a parent asking for P6 ERP list but cant seems to find the post. To that parent, do you still need the list?

Yes, still need the list! Many thanks :lol:

Neko
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres