Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

All About GEP

Academic support and discussions for GEP

GEP screening test? Go or no Go

Poll ended at Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Must Go
7
35%
Can Try
11
55%
Don't Go
2
10%
 
Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby Zann » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:36 am

I find it hard to get the books from our national library.

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:34 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby comfy » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:53 am

thmejlfm wrote:Actually, what did the list of those books for? This year, Pr4, my dd seem like never do anything regarding those books. :?

Hi thmejlfm, my dd has to choose two of the books for their ERP assignments. Maybe different school implement differently? I heard another GEP school requested the students to do at least 6-7 book reviews. Luckily my dd is not is this school. :sweat:

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 617
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:24 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby Flowermonaster » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:59 am

Zann wrote:
Flowermonaster wrote:
Neko wrote:PMed you, thanks! My dd's from Rosyth. Didn't get the list. dd's eager to get hold of the list so that she can do major shopping at her fav bookstore :evil:

Okie, emailed you Liao. Hope your gal enjoy her shopping & reading. :smile:


Flowermonaster, I pmed you my emil.

Zann, emailed to you. :smile:

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1479
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:54 pm
Total Likes: 5


Re: All About GEP

Postby just888 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:51 am

comfy wrote:
thmejlfm wrote:Actually, what did the list of those books for? This year, Pr4, my dd seem like never do anything regarding those books. :?

Hi thmejlfm, my dd has to choose two of the books for their ERP assignments. Maybe different school implement differently? I heard another GEP school requested the students to do at least 6-7 book reviews. Luckily my dd is not is this school. :sweat:


Huh? Thought the GE branch said the GE programme is the same throughout the 9 GEP schools, how come got double standard one?

just888
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:25 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: All About GEP

Postby jtoh » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:07 am

just888 wrote:
comfy wrote:
thmejlfm wrote:Actually, what did the list of those books for? This year, Pr4, my dd seem like never do anything regarding those books. :?

Hi thmejlfm, my dd has to choose two of the books for their ERP assignments. Maybe different school implement differently? I heard another GEP school requested the students to do at least 6-7 book reviews. Luckily my dd is not is this school. :sweat:


Huh? Thought the GE branch said the GE programme is the same throughout the 9 GEP schools, how come got double standard one?


There are little differences. Some schools do more assignments or expect more from their assignments. I think GEP gives a directive with a minimum to meet and schools can choose to do more if they want, depending on the calibre of the students.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 11217
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 101



Re: All About GEP

Postby just888 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:41 am

jtoh wrote:
There are little differences. Some schools do more assignments or expect more from their assignments. I think GEP gives a directive with a minimum to meet and schools can choose to do more if they want, depending on the calibre of the students.


But won't it be unfair to students who are tasked to do more assignments than others in other school, especially their workload on the basic is rather heavy. Although these students may in turn gain abit more also.

just888
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:25 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: All About GEP

Postby 25hr mama » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:17 am

just888 wrote:
comfy wrote:
thmejlfm wrote:Actually, what did the list of those books for? This year, Pr4, my dd seem like never do anything regarding those books. :?

Hi thmejlfm, my dd has to choose two of the books for their ERP assignments. Maybe different school implement differently? I heard another GEP school requested the students to do at least 6-7 book reviews. Luckily my dd is not is this school. :sweat:


Huh? Thought the GE branch said the GE programme is the same throughout the 9 GEP schools, how come got double standard one?


My dd also did 2 ERP assignments, but they are not restricted to books in the ERP list only. They r allowed to use books outside the list, but got to be an award-winning book and/or of classsic literature genre. She did one from the ERP list & another one borrowed fm library, but need to show teacher 1st to confirm suitability.

25hr mama
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:54 pm
Total Likes: 11


Re: All About GEP

Postby MotherHen » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:31 am

Mmm... I'm not sure if the ERP booklists are different. I thot they should be the same across the 9 centres. In any case, I requested the P6 booklist from DD's teacher during parent-teacher meeting and she was really sweet, gave the list to the whole class the next day :smile: . DD's teacher highlighted that they would be doing biographies in Term 1, and mentioned that most students would read the Diary of Anne Frank, as it's probably the easiest book to "hunt" down.

I don't have a scanner at home, but to all those who are interested, the books for Term 1 include:
    Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
    An American Childhood by Anne Dillard
    The Endless Steppe by Esther Hautzig
    One Writer's Beginnings by Eudra Welty
    The Road from Coorain by Jill Ker Conway
    The Day I Became An Autodidact by Kendall Hailey
    Black Ice by Lorene Carey
    Rosa Bonheur by Robyn Montana Turner
    Eleanor Roosevelt, A Life of Discovery by Russell Freedman

MotherHen
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:58 am
Total Likes: 10


Re: All About GEP

Postby pecalis » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:40 am

MotherHen wrote:Mmm... I'm not sure if the ERP booklists are different. I thot they should be the same across the 9 centres. In any case, I requested the P6 booklist from DD's teacher during parent-teacher meeting and she was really sweet, gave the list to the whole class the next day :smile: . DD's teacher highlighted that they would be doing biographies in Term 1, and mentioned that most students would read the Diary of Anne Frank, as it's probably the easiest book to "hunt" down.

I don't have a scanner at home, but to all those who are interested, the books for Term 1 include:
    Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
    An American Childhood by Anne Dillard
    The Endless Steppe by Esther Hautzig
    One Writer's Beginnings by Eudra Welty
    The Road from Coorain by Jill Ker Conway
    The Day I Became An Autodidact by Kendall Hailey
    Black Ice by Lorene Carey
    Rosa Bonheur by Robyn Montana Turner
    Eleanor Roosevelt, A Life of Discovery by Russell Freedman


Thx for these few titles. Appreciate you typing it out :)

pecalis
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:19 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby comfy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:55 pm

I was just looking at some of the books on the ERP list on mysteries. No offence, please, but the books recommended seems kind of 'old'. I know they are 'classic' but I am just wondering anyone have discovered or can recommended other books. Sigh....my dd doesn't seem thrill to read such 'old fashioned' book. TIA.

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 617
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:24 pm
Total Likes: 0


PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres