35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby dagong99 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:49 pm

blessmum4 wrote:hi comfy, mind if I ask did u send your kid to GEP Prep class?

I don't mind, the answer is no. Anyway, after reading from parents of this thread (earlier), it is not advisable too. How about u?[/quote]

I didn't too. We were surprise she got through the 2nd round as we totally didn't bother to prepare her as she was never those top students in her class/school. When we got the call from her teacher, we Thot that the GEP/school must hv made a mistake. After reading this threat, I'm worried if she can cope with the GEP programme.[/quote]

My DS2 too, we didn't prepare him although my DS1 did briefed him on some tricky questions that DS1 had went through when DS1 took the test in 2nd Round 3 years ago.

We also never send them to tuition or enrichment and don't intend to unless very "neccessary". Can't afford the time & $$$. We told DS2 "you are on your own, we can only guide & help but not do for you". Hope it works :wink:

dagong99
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby comfy » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:02 pm

blessmum4 wrote:hi comfy, mind if I ask did u send your kid to GEP Prep class?

I don't mind, the answer is no. Anyway, after reading from parents of this thread (earlier), it is not advisable too. How about u?[/quote]

I didn't too. We were surprise she got through the 2nd round as we totally didn't bother to prepare her as she was never those top students in her class/school. When we got the call from her teacher, we Thot that the GEP/school must hv made a mistake. After reading this threat, I'm worried if she can cope with the GEP programme.[/quote]
Actually, it depends on your child and what u hope for yr child thru this program. I was ok till the test results then :yikes: .SO I just got to do something, I din like her to have weak foundation. :scared:

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Michecplow » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:40 pm

Absolutely agree with Comfy....
the programme ,is so much different & advance from lower primary of mainstream which i suppose most of the child can perform without having to go for tuition before joining it
Parents really have to stay calm for the test marks ,esp during p4 .
we got few shocks from DS too....

Michecplow
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jtoh » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:54 pm

Even in mainstream, there's a big jump from P3 to P4. What more from P3 mainstream to P4 GEP. But don't worry too much about it. The schools will try to ease the kids in. I find that in P4 the stress, if any, is not from academics but more emotional - that is new school, new environment, new friends, new way of learning...

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby comfy » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:12 pm

For my dd and her friends, the stress is from the academic side (especially the results from common test,exam papers, projects and assignments.... it seems everything is graded.). They like the school, environment,friends, and some teachers(which is normal).

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sleepy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:51 am

We didn't send dd for gep training either. Tested her for IQ when younger. So I guess we just have to trust that IQ report.

However, I'm rather anxious whether she can cope with a heavier workload.

She's like a snake in hypernation, always in a daze and spacing out. And she moves in slow snail speed, takes forever to eat lunch, change, shower, before she can settle down to start her homework. As it is now, she's forever behind time in submitting her school homework, teachers called me to chase for homework.

The only saving grace is she's rather concerned whenever her results slipped. The only thing that can temporarily jolt her out of her daze mode. So hopefully the inceased competition will do her some good.

However, I don't really have high hopes she will pull her socks up even after she starts her gep. I think I'm the one who will be more stressed, have to keep nagging her. This is so frustrating!

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby shalomger » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:17 pm

jtoh wrote:Even in mainstream, there's a big jump from P3 to P4. What more from P3 mainstream to P4 GEP. But don't worry too much about it. The schools will try to ease the kids in. I find that in P4 the stress, if any, is not from academics but more emotional - that is new school, new environment, new friends, new way of learning...

I agree. They are now Pre-teens or Tweens- a totally new stage of emotional and physical development. Add to that new avenues of stress and they will need our support & understanding like never before. :p

shalomger
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby a child » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:44 pm

I second that P4 is a very tough year and expectations really need to be adjusted. However I also believe that without tuition one can also slowly adjust to the curriculum. P3 I was in a really neighborhood school where I did top the cohort, all scores 90+, but in P4 my scores really dropped so much. I ended up with HCL ~ 70, English ~ 70, Math ~ 85, Science ~ 80, Social Studies ~ 80. I failed my first English composition even though I used to score full or near-full marks. My first Social Studies portfolio only score in the 70s range. But slowly one does get used to the curriculum and even without tuition end P6 I did ok - for SAs my score was sufficient to bypass the GAT stage of RGS DSA, for Prelims 4A*, and PSLE 3A* 1A (for Science) - many friends managed 4A*, and those with 3A* lost the last one mainly due to MT. I'm average in my school's cohort. Even though these scores mayn't be top, but they're pretty much sufficient to get you into any school you want, and most people get them, so I would say don't worry. Don't chiong to the tuition centers. My parents worried and worried and they almost did, but they left me to the school and GEP and I guess I turned out fine.

One of the main things is to change the focus and definition for 'doing-well'. I enjoyed the program, enjoyed school, and enjoyed the learning - we always had readings to do, in English we were also introduced to literary analysis and book reports, we had tons of lab sessions, and we read. Both voluntarily and compulsory readings. And from all this I learnt a lot and even though my results aren't that stellar, I believe that the program really developed me in the sense that I love learning, reading, and I embrace knowledge and thought.

I hope that this post will calm some anxious parents.

- a child

a child
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Buzydad » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:59 pm

Hi, my ds (P6 next year) asks me whether the Englsih biography assignmnet is to summarise the biorgaphy book he is going to read or to write a biography of someone? Can any one enlighten us?

Buzydad
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Herbie » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:55 pm

hi! Can someone also adcise what p6 ss project is about?
Tq

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres