35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby vlim » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:08 pm

Buzydad wrote:Hi, my ds (P6 next year) asks me whether the Englsih biography assignmnet is to summarise the biorgaphy book he is going to read or to write a biography of someone? Can any one enlighten us?

Both

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:17 pm

Herbie wrote:hi! Can someone also adcise what p6 ss project is about?
Tq

One of the Ss project is to come out with your own Ss related topic and upon the teacher approval the kid can start working on it and do a write up.

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Herbie » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:25 pm

vlim wrote:
Herbie wrote:hi! Can someone also adcise what p6 ss project is about?
Tq

One of the Ss project is to come out with your own Ss related topic and upon the teacher approval the kid can start working on it and do a write up.

Oh! Can give example? I undetstand thattheyhave two ss projects. wat is the other ss project abt? Can shed some light???? Tq

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Buzydad » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:57 pm

vlim wrote:
Buzydad wrote:Hi, my ds (P6 next year) asks me whether the English biography assignment is to summarise the biography book he is going to read or to write a biography of someone? Can anyone enlighten us?

Both

Thanks, vlim :)

Buzydad
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Herbie » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:55 pm

also p6 ss will cover wat topics huh?

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:00 pm

Herbie wrote:
vlim wrote:One of the Ss project is to come out with your own Ss related topic and upon the teacher approval the kid can start working on it and do a write up.

Oh! Can give example? I undetstand thattheyhave two ss projects. wat is the other ss project abt? Can shed some light???? Tq

an example of it is talking about obesity problem in Singapore as well as other countries..or any other topics tt affect the people locally as well as in other countries ...
I think they have to do 2 of such artifacts in the 1 semester and a group project which has to be submitted in July if I did not remember wrongly. But I do not know what is the topic of the group project about :scratchhead:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:08 pm

Herbie wrote:also p6 ss will cover wat topics huh?

All the topics in Ss 6a and 6b text books.

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Herbie » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:03 am

hi vlim, i understand that there are 2 erp projects for p6. Are both projects abt summarising the books which the kid chose toread based on the reading list? Can advise?

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:46 am

Herbie wrote:hi vlim, i understand that there are 2 erp projects for p6. Are both projects abt summarising the books which the kid chose toread based on the reading list? Can advise?

I remember my ds only use one biography book to do the assignment.
The other assignment is to write a biography of someone the kid knows. It can be his parent, grandparent and so forth ... This is something like the mystery story which they did in p5 whereby they have to submit a few drafts for the teacher to check and improve on before the final submittion.

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby comfy » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:19 am

sleepy wrote:We didn't send dd for gep training either. Tested her for IQ when younger. So I guess we just have to trust that IQ report.

However, I'm rather anxious whether she can cope with a heavier workload.

She's like a snake in hypernation, always in a daze and spacing out. And she moves in slow snail speed, takes forever to eat lunch, change, shower, before she can settle down to start her homework. As it is now, she's forever behind time in submitting her school homework, teachers called me to chase for homework.

The only saving grace is she's rather concerned whenever her results slipped. The only thing that can temporarily jolt her out of her daze mode. So hopefully the inceased competition will do her some good.

However, I don't really have high hopes she will pull her socks up even after she starts her gep. I think I'm the one who will be more stressed, have to keep nagging her. This is so frustrating!

Hello sleepy,blessmum4,dagong99 , can understand your anxiety and wondering whether your child can cope with the GEP prog. Just happen to read this from a article "How to Recognise a Gifted Child". It says that a gifted child is not a genius and does not have to know everything or do things out of the ordinary, such as play the piano at the age of two or speak several languages at the age of three.
There are 14 charatcteristics mentioned and I will like to highlight only two of them
(1) they persevere (they concentrate on a task and persist until they finish it. Imho, you will have to manage their expectation and sometime due to time constraint, they might feel frustrated when working on their hw/projects. So it will help if parents can assist/aware of this.
(2) they are vulnerable to the rejection of their classmates. Imho, this is important to take note as some of these kids would be starting in a new environment, friends, teachers, school system,... so encourage them to meke new friends and telling them it takes time too to make new friends. It will be good to take 'make/create' opportunity for friendship. I know one of my dd's classmates only manage to find friends that she can talk to only in term3.

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres