35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby shalomger » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:30 pm

a child wrote:I hope that this post will calm some anxious parents.

- a child

Thanks for your sharing! I am encouraged. Thank you for taking time to contribute to the forum.

shalomger
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby deardear07 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:53 pm

sleepy wrote:We didn't send dd for gep training either. Tested her for IQ when younger. So I guess we just have to trust that IQ report.

However, I'm rather anxious whether she can cope with a heavier workload.

She's like a snake in hypernation, always in a daze and spacing out. And she moves in slow snail speed, takes forever to eat lunch, change, shower, before she can settle down to start her homework. As it is now, she's forever behind time in submitting her school homework, teachers called me to chase for homework.

The only saving grace is she's rather concerned whenever her results slipped. The only thing that can temporarily jolt her out of her daze mode. So hopefully the inceased competition will do her some good.

However, I don't really have high hopes she will pull her socks up even after she starts her gep. I think I'm the one who will be more stressed, have to keep nagging her. This is so frustrating!

mind if i ask - y did u test her iq? any trigger?

deardear07
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby deardear07 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:55 pm

just wondering..coz some say that GEP will select only some to go for the tests, whereas some say that every1 can go, but majority may not make it thru the rounds.

which is which? only top classes go for GEP testing?

deardear07
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby deardear07 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:58 pm

comfy wrote:
sleepy wrote:We didn't send dd for gep training either. Tested her for IQ when younger. So I guess we just have to trust that IQ report.

However, I'm rather anxious whether she can cope with a heavier workload.

She's like a snake in hypernation, always in a daze and spacing out. And she moves in slow snail speed, takes forever to eat lunch, change, shower, before she can settle down to start her homework. As it is now, she's forever behind time in submitting her school homework, teachers called me to chase for homework.

The only saving grace is she's rather concerned whenever her results slipped. The only thing that can temporarily jolt her out of her daze mode. So hopefully the inceased competition will do her some good.

However, I don't really have high hopes she will pull her socks up even after she starts her gep. I think I'm the one who will be more stressed, have to keep nagging her. This is so frustrating!

Hello sleepy,blessmum4,dagong99 , can understand your anxiety and wondering whether your child can cope with the GEP prog. Just happen to read this from a article "How to Recognise a Gifted Child". It says that a gifted child is not a genius and does not have to know everything or do things out of the ordinary, such as play the piano at the age of two or speak several languages at the age of three.
There are 14 charatcteristics mentioned and I will like to highlight only two of them
(1) they persevere (they concentrate on a task and persist until they finish it. Imho, you will have to manage their expectation and sometime due to time constraint, they might feel frustrated when working on their hw/projects. So it will help if parents can assist/aware of this.
(2) they are vulnerable to the rejection of their classmates. Imho, this is important to take note as some of these kids would be starting in a new environment, friends, teachers, school system,... so encourage them to meke new friends and telling them it takes time too to make new friends. It will be good to take 'make/create' opportunity for friendship. I know one of my dd's classmates only manage to find friends that she can talk to only in term3.

comfy, those obvious traits are just yelling at us parents that those are obvious tell tale signs. but if there aren't, no worries too. coz gifted children may be gifted in many ways. if a 2yr old can persist on a picture search (not TV) for 45mins-1hr straight, then i see that as a showing point too. :smile:

deardear07
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Flowermonaster » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:34 pm

deardear07 wrote:just wondering..coz some say that GEP will select only some to go for the tests, whereas some say that every1 can go, but majority may not make it thru the rounds.

Are you referring to IQ test or GEP test? :?
If it's GEP test, for the first round, all P3 kids can test. After the 1st round, only selected kids will go 2nd round.

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby deardear07 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:18 pm

Flowermonaster wrote:
deardear07 wrote:just wondering..coz some say that GEP will select only some to go for the tests, whereas some say that every1 can go, but majority may not make it thru the rounds.

If it's GEP test, for the first round, all P3 kids can test. After the 1st round, only selected kids will go 2nd round.

oh, yeah...was referring to GEP. MOE dun test for IQ right?

deardear07
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Flowermonaster » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:52 pm

deardear07 wrote:
Flowermonaster wrote:

I think they do in the 2nd round but not sure how they test as I never got the chance to sit for them - GEP not in existence during my time yet. :oops:

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MandyMummy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:19 pm

Flowermonaster wrote:
deardear07 wrote:
Flowermonaster wrote:Are you referring to IQ test or GEP test? :?

I think they do in the 2nd round but not sure how they test as I never got the chance to sit for them - GEP not in existence during my time yet. :oops:

I think the IQ testing component is in the GA I & II, but they are customized for Singapore students.

MandyMummy
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby deardear07 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:47 pm

oh...this is news to me. lol

GA should have some IQ qns... but not literally testing for IQ as in getting the accurate quotient per say.

deardear07
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby a child » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:14 am

vlim wrote:
Herbie wrote:hi vlim, i understand that there are 2 erp projects for p6. Are both projects abt summarising the books which the kid chose toread based on the reading list? Can advise?

I remember my ds only use one biography book to do the assignment.
The other assignment is to write a biography of someone the kid knows. It can be his parent, grandparent and so forth ... This is something like the mystery story which they did in p5 whereby they have to submit a few drafts for the teacher to check and improve on before the final submittion.

Hi :D I'm a senior from RGS here (slacking in the hols). Anyway I shall elaborate further. For English there are actually 3 assignments, 2 are for the biography. The first biography assignment is to write a biography of someone you know, be it an uncle, aunt, grandparents or parents. It doesn't really matter who you choose, and he/she need not have done something as spectacular and high-profile as Lee Kuan Yew, but as in all lives there must be some telling point, some struggle, some exhibition of good qualities. Talk about that in detail, write about the feelings, and as all teachers say, show and not tell of that particular incident in-depth.

Second assignment, you're to write a diary entry based on a biography. For this I'd advise not to choose autobiographical books. I did, and the problem was that that was already so similar to a diary that I didn't know how I should write it to avoid plagiarism. I did it, but spent so much time on it. Otherwise, this should be like any other ERP.

Last assignment, not biography-related, is to write a speech, and the topic can be chosen from a very interesting list. I chose the topic where you present to the Education Minister why GEP kids should not sit for the PSLE. Really fun.

Anyway tell your children to enjoy the golden honeymoon GEP years - it'll be the last time! After that it's the PSLE and then Sec school: different friends, back to larger classrooms with more than 30 kids, back to more more more tests and generally more of everything - activities and stress, and less of only one particular highly-sought after item: sleep.

a child
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres