Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby a child » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:16 pm

Faun wrote:a child,
Thanks for insight view of the raffles school. Base on my dd profile, there is only one school she is probably suited to go. After reading your post, I think she will enjoy that kind of environment. As for chasing grades, my dd has never been competitive and is always ready to celebrate jer friends success. She has many talents but not sure where her passion lies. Mrs Deborah Tan, the ex principal had adviced me RGS will be a good place for.

Haha well the RGS environment is actually suited for many types of girls, but I'm glad that your daughter has at least found that it'd suit her. Many people have certain aspects they dislike about the school, like certain programs, subjects, teachers, or policies. But most feel that it's a wonderful school as a whole. And wow your connections are great, with such principal-level contacts! (JK)

a child
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby a child » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:33 pm

Faun wrote:Vlim,

Please help. What are the projects in first 6 months for P6 GEP? TIA

I'll try to answer that question though I'm more ancient - I was in P6 a year ago.

Anyway here's a breakdown based on subjects for the P6 syllabus which would be 2 years out-dated by next year, but that's still something. And even though it's for the whole year, most are covered in the first 6 months because after that there's Prelims and the GE mock test (I'm not sure if the still do it, but it's like the school-based Prelims except it's GE-coordinated) and the King of all primary school fear, tears, fights, assessments, tuition, CTs and CAs and SAs and EYAs - the dreaded PSLE.

I've written already about English assignments a few pages before. Here it is in quotes.

a child wrote:For English there are actually 3 assignments, 2 are for the biography. The first biography assignment is to write a biography of someone you know, be it an uncle, aunt, grandparents or parents. It doesn't really matter who you choose, and he/she need not have done something as spectacular and high-profile as Lee Kuan Yew, but as in all lives there must be some telling point, some struggle, some exhibition of good qualities. Talk about that in detail, write about the feelings, and as all teachers say, show and not tell of that particular incident in-depth.

Second assignment, you're to write a diary entry based on a biography. For this I'd advise not to choose autobiographical books. I did, and the problem was that that was already so similar to a diary that I didn't know how I should write it to avoid plagiarism. I did it, but spent so much time on it. Otherwise, this should be like any other ERP.

Last assignment, not biography-related, is to write a speech, and the topic can be chosen from a very interesting list. I chose the topic where you present to the Education Minister why GEP kids should not sit for the PSLE. Really fun.

Anyway tell your children to enjoy the golden honeymoon GEP years - it'll be the last time! After that it's the PSLE and then Sec school: different friends, back to larger classrooms with more than 30 kids, back to more more more tests and generally more of everything - activities and stress, and less of only one particular highly-sought after item: sleep.

Next, Social Studies. For social studies there are the usual two portfolios with the usual requirements and the usual drafts but the unusual earlier deadline because the last semester is mostly occupied by pre-PSLE chionging and post-PSLE bliss. It's the 3rd time such a portfolio is being done, so shouldn't be much trouble. However, there's also another project called FPS. It's exactly like the FPSP program, where you go consider possible problems in a scenario and go through the 6-step problem solving process. Google FPSP, and there should be sites about it. Or if you've been in FPSP or know friends in FPSP, that would be your source of information. Or even if you don't, relax and the teachers will lead you step-by-step. Also, this is a group project with approx 5 people in a group, and in the end you have to submit a file with your drafts and final proposal, as well as do a presentation. And a special thing about this project, or at least in the center I was in: you aren't allowed to bring this project home, or do anything about it at home. You're to finish everything in class, and sufficient time will be allocated. Or rather, nearly sufficient. Most groups I know met up to rehearse the presentation.

For Math, there's an alternative assessment where you choose from a list of six different problems. I chose the Pigeon Hole theory. Other problems in my year included Pick's theorem and shortest path. There are wiki pages on this, so look them up to have a greater understanding about the respective theories and methodologies. Nothing (or not much) will be covered in class. After self-research, you have to summarize the concepts and apply them to questions provided on each topic. You've also got to produce a product - for my problem, it was to do a poster, but other problems also involved making formulas on excel, etc.

For Science, there're the normal ERMs only. Nothing much.

That's a summary of the work from my year, and two years on it may not have changed, though it probably did. Hope it helps :D

(Sorry but: don't be too kiasu - the kids would be fine. My parents didn't kaypoh about my work much in P6, and not in Sec 1. My grades aren't spectacular or anything, but they're average - fine enough. Nowadays if one succumbs to the procrastination syndrome one will just have to burn the midnight oil. No mummy to bail me out. And sometimes on days before the submission of multiple assignments or even single assignments many friends - me included - will stay up together and work. Hey, at least you've got company right? I do try to limit these incidents though.)

a child
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby comfy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:53 pm

a child wrote:Teachers do teach for most subjects, and many of us even find certain classes quite slow or boring. Many had tuition with TLL but are dropping due to insufficient time to commit and some find it somewhat irrelevant to the curriculum. I myself have no tuition as of yet but I'm venturing to get English tuition because my English grades are not good, to say the least - and my English teacher happens to be (to me) one of those who doesn't teach much. I think it really depends on the teacher, because though those teachers aren't plenty, I've encountered one for English, but my friends from other classes don't have any as far as I know. If the class is too fast/slow you can feedback to the teacher and they'll adjust accordingly - I have teachers who teach different classes and different paces, introducing more material to some than others. They are very flexible. However for English the problem is - most of the class find my teacher fine, though I'm having some problem keeping up as I tend to write off-topic. I can't have the teacher accommodate me solely and she's very busy so I think outside help's better.

If one needs help, be it for normal school work or for additional information, one can approach the teachers during a weekly slot designated for teacher consultation, or after school. Remedials are also conducted, and once when my friend missed a week of school the teacher sat with her personally to go through the work.

So for a succinct answer - yes, teachers do teach, yes, they also speed-teach and cover advanced material if they know you've got the basics, yes, friends to go for tuition though not many anymore - in this aspect it's just like any other school. And yes, there are also some teachers whom I can't really get, but that's mostly due to personal taste in teaching style. And yes, there are also no good teachers, but these exist in all schools, and I have a feeling that there are fewer in RGS than elsewhere.

Anyway we're :offtopic: - this is for Primary GEP and not SBGE. I'll hang around here for the rest of the hols to chill so long as I have time (which is almost everyday) and I'll try to answer your questions :D Especially as I don't think there are many ex-GEPers around who are this free.

Thanks once again, a child for replying. I thought I better take this opportunity to ask you all these questions as you mentioned that you are 'slacking in the hols'. :wink: I din known that this is :offtopic: as I thought that it is a GEP but in another place (sec school). Anyway, whether it is on or off topics, I appreciate your time and sharing on it. :snuggles:

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Faun » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:54 pm

achild,

Thanks so much for sharing info. No, i'm not kiasu or kiasi. In fact I am planning to bring dd for a shoestring travel to India during the June holiday before the PSLE. For my other kid, we did the same, go Disneyland and detox just before PSLE.

Can I check with you is AMEC worth joining? Dd has been invited but I'm hesitant as there's also SYF competition next year. Plus with what you just decribed on the workloar, now I really think it's not wise. For me, first priority is enough rest, all else is secondary, at least for now. There is only 1 year of childhood left.

You sound like a pretty balance student. You apPear to me to have good awareness of yourself and your environment. For this, I congratulate you. As for Mrs Tan, she's my son's current principal. We like her alot.

Faun
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby vlim » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:57 pm

Hi faun,
this yr p6 geps projects are the same as 'a child' cohort... And thanks a child .. Old auntie here was scratching my head trying to recall the p6 projects.. To add on to the ss projects, as mentioned earlier, my ds did 2 projects which they were supposed to come out with their own Ss related topics.. With teacher approval on the proposed topic ( I supposed) , the kids will start to do research, google search and / or simple survey for the write up ... Example of the topics are obesity, myopia etc .. How they affect locally and globally ... As what a child has mentioned, your child will be brief in detail by the teachers .. So not to worry now .. Try her best for ca1 and sa1 which are important for DSA and then after 1 st semester Chiong for prelim and psle .... :smile:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby a child » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:59 pm

comfy wrote:Thanks once again, a child for replying. I thought I better take this opportunity to ask you all these questions as you mentioned that you are 'slacking in the hols'. :wink: I din known that this is :offtopic: as I thought that it is a GEP but in another place (sec school). Anyway, whether it is on or off topics, I appreciate your time and sharing on it. :snuggles:

Haha this is the primary school section 'All about GEP'. (well, the secondary school section doesn't have one, so ...) But really, in SBGE there aren't many (or even any in some cases) differences as compared to the normal mainstream RGS curriculum. The GPAs are a bit higher, and the ex-GEPers and 270+ mainstreamers are placed together so the environment's better, the teachers may be a bit better but not a noticeable difference, and the main difference is actually - as the Director of Talent Development told the GEPers - the special super-selective programs offered in Sec 2 such as Odyssey of Mind, of which a very disproportionate 80+% are ex-GEPers. However, I'm not really interested in these programs, and even though they're prestigious in the school, instead I've applied to some programs the caught my interest and which appeal to me, same with some other friends. So basically there's not much difference.

And yep - feel free to ask me the questions you have, I'll be lazing around KSP chatting and reading (and laughing) for the next few weeks, and I'm only busy for a few days - out with friends and everything. Going to see the musical WICKED tomorrow with classmates (and hopefully also catch the Prologue sale on our way) - heard wonderful reviews about it - and I'm also getting braces consultation soon. I hope they don't hurt too much.

a child
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby a child » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:10 pm

Faun wrote:achild,

Thanks so much for sharing info. No, i'm not kiasu or kiasi. In fact I am planning to bring dd for a shoestring travel to India during the June holiday before the PSLE. For my other kid, we did the same, go Disneyland and detox just before PSLE.

Can I check with you is AMEC worth joining? Dd has been invited but I'm hesitant as there's also SYF competition next year. Plus with what you just decribed on the workloar, now I really think it's not wise. For me, first priority is enough rest, all else is secondary, at least for now. There is only 1 year of childhood left.

You sound like a pretty balance student. You apPear to me to have good awareness of yourself and your environment. For this, I congratulate you. As for Mrs Tan, she's my son's current principal. We like her alot.

Sorry, no offence intended with that comment. :imsorry:

Anyway yep I also went overseas during the June holidays as did some other friends of mine. No worries about PSLE as ample practice will be given after the June holidays. Though 3-4 papers a day for homework (on some days, not all, or I probably wouldn't have survived) may seem like some monstrous load but I assure you the teachers eased us in like experts and we didn't really notice the pressure during that time. By the time the load was at its heaviest, we've already had practiced and did papers pretty fast, so it was very manageable. Everybody was able to turn in their work on time.

I'm sorry, I don't remember any AMEC. Probably didn't get invited to it. I've never been in performing arts, so I don't know the SYF schedule either. Anyway more about the workload so that hopefully you can make a more informed choice - P6 first-half has a similar pace to that of any other year, or even if the workload's heavier the teachers did such a superb job of transitioning us that I didn't notice.

Haha thanks for the compliments. Anyway I though Ms Deborah Tan was president of Singapore Sports School? Nothing to do with a primary school?

a child
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby a child » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:37 pm

vlim wrote:Hi faun,
this yr p6 geps projects are the same as 'a child' cohort... And thanks a child .. Old auntie here was scratching my head trying to recall the p6 projects.. To add on to the ss projects, as mentioned earlier, my ds did 2 projects which they were supposed to come out with their own Ss related topics.. With teacher approval on the proposed topic ( I supposed) , the kids will start to do research, google search and / or simple survey for the write up ... Example of the topics are obesity, myopia etc .. How they affect locally and globally ... As what a child has mentioned, your child will be brief in detail by the teachers .. So not to worry now .. Try her best for ca1 and sa1 which are important for DSA and then after 1 st semester Chiong for prelim and psle .... :smile:

Haha I think that the aforementioned project with your own proposal, I think that's the SS portfolio. Anyway yes, CA1 and SA1 are important, but don't be too stressed. Study hard, study well, and the eventual result if it is not so good may not be weighted so much. I'm relatively good at math (not bragging), topped my school's cohort - which is very, very weak in Math - in P5, got a few (not so spectacular) certificates and for RGS's own math competition I was top 10 (gosh even I forgot my own position - but I know it was top 10 because I received $80). Anyway here's the problem: I scored 72/100 for my SA1, due a combination of factors but mainly a dangerous dose of overconfidence and a serious lack of practice. I managed to get A*s for Prelims and PSLE, but that's not the question. Question: How was I to explain this to the RGS admissions committee? (I DSAed to Nanyang also, but that didn't require an interview. Apparently they found an answer for my ridiculously low math marks by themselves). But to RGS, should I say that I was 'lazy'? Admit that my math deproved by leaps and bounds in the intervening months? My answer in the end was an honest explanation of my mistake. I made it a point during the interview to talk about what I could have done better and what I was already doing to improve (basically great amounts of self-reflection plus some handy practice assessments) and I got accepted. So really it's not the end if you make even a big mistake for CA/SA. Just explain your mistake, and what you'd do in the future. School's meant to be a journey of self- and knowledge-exploration, so as long as you've gained something and you've learnt something and the admissions people know it, it should be fine. Don't stress too much, and enjoy the last leg of the journey!

a child
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby RachelSmiley » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:37 pm

Hi a child

Wanna be my god-daughter? :hi5:

RachelSmiley
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby comfy » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:24 am

a child wrote:..... The GPAs are a bit higher, and the ex-GEPers and 270+ mainstreamers are placed together so the environment's better, the teachers may be a bit better but not a noticeable difference, and the main difference is actually - as the Director of Talent Development told the GEPers - the special super-selective programs offered in Sec 2 such as Odyssey of Mind, of which a very disproportionate 80+% are ex-GEPers. ...... Going to see the musical WICKED tomorrow with classmates (and hopefully also catch the Prologue sale on our way) - heard wonderful reviews about it - and I'm also getting braces consultation soon. I hope they don't hurt too much.

I know this is :offtopic: again but can you explain this GPA (maybe can pm me if it is too lengthly). I thought it just A, B,C grade depending on your score. And about Odyssey of Mind, what is it all about? Oh yah, my dd needs to put on braces too when the time come, so do let me know whether it is painful or not. Thks. Note: in order not to post twice, you just need to press the Submit button once (be sure to click once) then wait for it to be posted (able to view it on screen).

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge