35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby Faun » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:58 pm

comfy wrote:And about Odyssey of Mind, what is it all about?

I think it is the Secondary School version of DI that the geppers do. DI is Destination Imagination. It is one of the Individualised Study Options (ISO) projects they can opt to do in P5. My dd did it and she had a lot of fun.

Faun
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Faun » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:19 pm

vlim wrote:As a child has mentioned, your child will be brief in detail by the teachers .. So not to worry now .. Try her best for ca1 and sa1 which are important for DSA and then after 1 st semester Chiong for prelim and psle .... :smile:

Thanks vlim, I did get a bit worried as I'm trying hard to cut down her activities to only what is necessary. Her CCA commitment is very high. Now they ask her take another CCA, the AMEC. So it's good to know what's coming so can decide and plan better. Happy holidays!

Faun
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby a child » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:18 pm

RachelSmiley wrote:Hi a child

Wanna be my god-daughter? :hi5:

Haha well I'm not always this angelic. Or am I? :imanangel:

a child
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby a child » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:27 pm

comfy wrote:
a child wrote:..... The GPAs are a bit higher, and the ex-GEPers and 270+ mainstreamers are placed together so the environment's better, the teachers may be a bit better but not a noticeable difference, and the main difference is actually - as the Director of Talent Development told the GEPers - the special super-selective programs offered in Sec 2 such as Odyssey of Mind, of which a very disproportionate 80+% are ex-GEPers. ...... Going to see the musical WICKED tomorrow with classmates (and hopefully also catch the Prologue sale on our way) - heard wonderful reviews about it - and I'm also getting braces consultation soon. I hope they don't hurt too much.

I know this is :offtopic: again but can you explain this GPA (maybe can pm me if it is too lengthly). I thought it just A, B,C grade depending on your score. And about Odyssey of Mind, what is it all about? Oh yah, my dd needs to put on braces too when the time come, so do let me know whether it is painful or not. Thks. Note: in order not to post twice, you just need to press the Submit button once (be sure to click once) then wait for it to be posted (able to view it on screen).

There are many types of GPA, e.g. 5-point scale, 4-point scale, scales with 1.0 being best and some with the highest point being best. In RGS it's a 4-point scale, and a 4.0 is highest possible grade - the perfect score. The score of each subject is awarded a letter grade, A+, A, B+, B, etc. and has a corresponding grade value. E.g. in RGS A+ = 4.0, A = 3.6, B+ = 3.2, B = 2.8, etc. with a 0.4 difference between each letter grade. From the GPA of the individual subjects an overall GPA is derived. In RGS, that's the average of the GPAs of the core 5 subjects (English, Mother Tongue, Math, 1 Science, 1 Humanities) and best 2 of the remaining subjects (any other examinable subject - can be humanities/science/third language/Music elective/Special art program, etc.) And then you get a GPA on a 4.0 scale.

Faun wrote:
comfy wrote:And about Odyssey of Mind, what is it all about?

I think it is the Secondary School version of DI that the geppers do. DI is Destination Imagination. It is one of the Individualised Study Options (ISO) projects they can opt to do in P5. My dd did it and she had a lot of fun.

Yes, Odyssey of the Mind is like DI, except more complicated. It's split into the performance and technical sections. For performance you're supposed to put up a show based on a topic - I can't remember specific examples because I'm not very interested in the program, but there's always one to do with a line from a Shakespeare play. For technical, you're supposed to put performance incorporating a machine you've built - this includes stuff like robots and small mechanisms that can bear tons of weight.

a child
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby a child » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:30 pm

Faun wrote:
vlim wrote:As a child has mentioned, your child will be brief in detail by the teachers .. So not to worry now .. Try her best for ca1 and sa1 which are important for DSA and then after 1 st semester Chiong for prelim and psle .... :smile:

Thanks vlim, I did get a bit worried as I'm trying hard to cut down her activities to only what is necessary. Her CCA commitment is very high. Now they ask her take another CCA, the AMEC. So it's good to know what's coming so can decide and plan better. Happy holidays!

Sorry but I'll cut in a bit here.

Well I'd say that you know your child best, so the decision about this should be yours. I have a friend who has 4 CCAs which aren't even the slack type - there's sports and performing arts (with the competitions like SYF coming in the package), and she manages to do best in cohort in all the math competitions and has a 3.94 GPA. Other friends don't do that well with little commitment. I think maybe the best thing to do is to talk to your daughter about the commitment and if she's eager and has the determination to do it, it will definitely be possible and such an activity would definitely be beneficial to her development in the long run.

a child
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jtoh » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:48 pm

a child wrote:
Faun wrote:

Well I'd say that you know your child best, so the decision about this should be yours. I have a friend who has 4 CCAs which aren't even the slack type - there's sports and performing arts (with the competitions like SYF coming in the package), and she manages to do best in cohort in all the math competitions and has a 3.94 GPA. Other friends don't do that well with little commitment. I think maybe the best thing to do is to talk to your daughter about the commitment and if she's eager and has the determination to do it, it will definitely be possible and such an activity would definitely be beneficial to her development in the long run.

a child, which 4 CCAs is your friend in? I'm surprised the school allows her to take 4 CCAs.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby a child » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:06 pm

jtoh wrote:
a child wrote:

a child, which 4 CCAs is your friend in? I'm surprised the school allows her to take 4 CCAs.

She's in track, band, debate and math soc. For some like math soc - she doesn't attend regularly but gets the worksheets dished out. I guess I see the rationale because it does give her some practice, which she probably places importance on because math's one of her fortes - she was the only girl in the top 30 in SMOPS and this year she's still topping our cohort in math competitions.

Actually there are quite a number of friends taking many CCAs. I know at least 6 other friends taking 3 CCAs, and in the beginning of this year I too took 3 CCAs but I had to drop the sports CCA due to asthma. The Head of PE and CCA has to sign the approval forms, but in my experience that's not a difficult process. Regarding the workload of all this, I think it's rather manageable if there's proper time management in place.

a child
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby comfy » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:32 pm

Hi, a child, may I know what CCA did you join in Pri school? and now?

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby vlim » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:08 pm

Faun wrote:

Hi Faun,
For AMEC, the school will engage an external Maths olympaid coach to teach the kids on MO qns...emm it might help in p6 SMOPS ( no guarantee)... so if you are thinking of cut down of your dd activities..maybe she can opt not to join..of course if she is keen in it ..no harm joining.. :wink:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby a child » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:50 pm

comfy wrote:Hi, a child, may I know what CCA did you join in Pri school? and now?

In primary school I was in basketball, non-school team. In Secondary school I joined the basketball school team, Tribune, and Math Society. However I had to quit basketball due to health issues - I couldn't cope with the rigorous training, and there wasn't an option to take the sport non-competitive. And for Tribune, it's a student-run magazine that writes about different issues such as sports and technology and links such issues to the student body. Math Society is self-explanatory :D

a child
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP