Postby a child » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:50 pm

del

a child
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: All About GEP

Postby fanxing » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:39 pm

Faun wrote:
comfy wrote:And about Odyssey of Mind, what is it all about?

I think it is the Secondary School version of DI that the geppers do. DI is Destination Imagination. It is one of the Individualised Study Options (ISO) projects they can opt to do in P5. My dd did it and she had a lot of fun.

OM (or OotM) is not the secondary school version of DI, it is a program completely separate. Actually, DI branched out from OM and eventually they separated. So technically, the 'original' program would be OM so Odyssey would be the 'better' program by many people's standards. Odyssey is a lot busier than primary school DI though, so consider before joining. 

A child, I think I know who you are. 

fanxing
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby a child » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:31 pm

fanxing wrote:
Faun wrote:
comfy wrote:And about Odyssey of Mind, what is it all about?

I think it is the Secondary School version of DI that the geppers do. DI is Destination Imagination. It is one of the Individualised Study Options (ISO) projects they can opt to do in P5. My dd did it and she had a lot of fun.

OM (or OotM) is not the secondary school version of DI, it is a program completely separate. Actually, DI branched out from OM and eventually they separated. So technically, the 'original' program would be OM so Odyssey would be the 'better' program by many people's standards. Odyssey is a lot busier than primary school DI though, so consider before joining. 

A child, I think I know who you are. 

So much for anonymous names. But anyway, yes I've revealed so much on here that if you know me in real life it's impossible to not be able to identify me. I must say I've done a lousy job try (or not) to hide my identity.

And yes, OM is very busy, and it's also one of RGS's so-called 'premier' program, one of the most selective and the most 'wanted'. Many international accolades are won.

a child
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Shoot » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:22 am

a child,... may i what p5 GEP is like...?(next year for me...) ...just asking...:?

Shoot
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Shoot » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:57 am

del

Shoot
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby blessmum4 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:50 pm

Anyone wants to "dispose" off their P4 ERP books? I have a hard time finding them. Also Dd grumble that the font are small. She likes to read bigger font.. How to motivate her?

blessmum4
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby a child » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:03 pm

Shoot wrote:a child,... may i what p5 GEP is like...?(next year for me...) ...just asking...:?

It follows a similar structure as P4, just more projects, more experimental learning. And also bigger and more complicated projects like the ISO. It will be fun as long as you don't procrastinate and leave stuff till the night before it's due and realize that god you still have 3 reflections to do plus every single second draft because you haven't done anything after the draft 1 deadline. Teachers are usually very reasonable and give weeks and weeks of time for projects but somehow we have a tendency to finish everything on the very last day. This is especially applicable to year-long projects like the ISO. Though you meet with mentors every week it's still up to you to do the work. If you want to it is amazingly simple to avoid being scolded by teachers despite not doing work. That shouldn't be the motivation. Rather think what'll happen if you try cramming every single part of your IRS in your last week. Not pretty. Time management's very very important, and it's the one skill teachers don't really teach. Everything else, the content knowledge and stuff, leave it to them. They know they're stuff.

And a note about the projects: though the style is similar to P4, but most likely the teachers won't hold your hand as often, so it's up to you to consult them. If you don't understand they're comments, seek them actively. They aren't mind-readers and they won't know if you don't understand. For one of the ERPs my teacher was going to have me re-do but I consulted her and we realized that it was only one part that needed editing. Time saved: hours.

P5 will certainly be one of the most engaging and thrilling years in the program. Other than the in-school curriculum there's also tons of other competitions and camps that you can participate in. If you have interest in any particular subject as well as (hopefully) an aptitude in it try to show it in class or by doing some extra preparation for competitions like Math Olympiad. It pays off. If you do well in the first few (like SMOPS, NMOS) that everybody's allowed to take most likely you'll be recommended for future competitions and programs and everything will flow from there. Likewise if you're missed by the teachers in the beginning of the year it is very difficult to make up for it later one, because based on my experience at least the pupils sent for competitions for a particular subject tend to be the same. Also don't think competitions = extra. Even though competitions =/= GEP it certainly is an integral component of it that few mainstreamers are exposed to. In the center I was from, during competitions where we have say a team of 6, 5 are GEPers and only one from mainstream. This is (for the more kiasu) also an important part of the DSA portfolio.

Good luck for next year! Many say it is THE YEAR of GEP which encapsulates everything that GEP ever stood for and the whole GEP spirit, and in a way it is: the year with most projects, competitions, activities, etc. Enjoy! (and at the same time attempt to get decent grades because you'll need those next year for DSA)

a child
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby a child » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:14 pm

blessmum4 wrote:Anyone wants to "dispose" off their P4 ERP books? I have a hard time finding them. Also Dd grumble that the font are small. She likes to read bigger font.. How to motivate her?

There are (generally) two methods to obtaining books which are all tried and tested solutions by my friends and I as well as our parents.

First: the expensive method. Grab your Credit Card and head towards Kinokuniya. Go straight to the 'Gifted Readers' section and you'll find at least a couple of books there. If you're contented, great. If not, head towards the counter and give them your list so that the workers can help you locate the books. Most probably you'll find another couple. From one trip alone you should manage at least ten. This is entirely sufficient to cover an entire year's worth of book reviews and school reading. For all other literary exposure, head towards the library for free browsing.

Second: go online to amazon or ebay, your credit card in tow (again). Then search up the books and purchase the cheapest copies or copies with the largest font if you'd like. Checkout and ship it over once to reduce shipping charges. Do remember to check the credibility rating of the seller, or buy the version supplied directly by Amazon, though that would be a few bucks more. Still, cheaper than Kinokuniya.

There are others that recommend the library, but I would not choose to do that. Although borrowing is free and you can reserve the books for a fee and collect from the counter, the books can only be borrowed for a period of 3 weeks (or 6 weeks if you renew). This is not sufficient to cover the whole school year or months of it, which would be preferred since there are multiple assignments you need to take care of.

Sorry, I don't know much about font size as that hasn't been a problem with me.

Hope this helps :D

a child
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby dagong99 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:59 pm

a child wrote:
blessmum4 wrote:Anyone wants to "dispose" off their P4 ERP books? I have a hard time finding them. Also Dd grumble that the font are small. She likes to read bigger font.. How to motivate her?

There are (generally) two methods to obtaining books which are all tried and tested solutions by my friends and I as well as our parents.

First: the expensive method. Grab your Credit Card and head towards Kinokuniya. Go straight to the 'Gifted Readers' section and you'll find at least a couple of books there. If you're contented, great. If not, head towards the counter and give them your list so that the workers can help you locate the books. Most probably you'll find another couple. From one trip alone you should manage at least ten. This is entirely sufficient to cover an entire year's worth of book reviews and school reading. For all other literary exposure, head towards the library for free browsing.

Second: go online to amazon or ebay, your credit card in tow (again). Then search up the books and purchase the cheapest copies or copies with the largest font if you'd like. Checkout and ship it over once to reduce shipping charges. Do remember to check the credibility rating of the seller, or buy the version supplied directly by Amazon, though that would be a few bucks more. Still, cheaper than Kinokuniya.

There are others that recommend the library, but I would not choose to do that. Although borrowing is free and you can reserve the books for a fee and collect from the counter, the books can only be borrowed for a period of
3 weeks (or 6 weeks if you renew). This is not sufficient to cover the whole school year or months of it, which would be preferred since there are multiple assignments you need to take care of.

Sorry, I don't know much about font size as that hasn't been a problem with me.

Hope this helps :D

Hi, may I know what is expected for the ERP ? A Book review for each & everyone of them ? What if you can get all the books in the list by the end of the year ?

dagong99
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby vlim » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:57 pm

For p4, the books from erp, are only recommended by Ge branch for the geppers to read during their free time. Those books are mostly award winners though some might find some of them boring ... :wink: .. P5 and p6 also have their set of erp list of books. One of p5 English assignment is to write mystery story so a few mystery story books are recommended in the p5 erp list.. So better to read them. For p6, one of the English assignment is writing biography and in the erp list there are a few biography books recommended to read... My ds only read only abt 1/4-1/3 of the books in the erp list..

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP