35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Postby vlim » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:29 pm

2ppaamm wrote:
vlim wrote:well some of the gifted kids are more mature as compare to other kids of their same age. So these gifted kids will see the later as childish and immature and subsequently avoid making friends with them. As they have higher iq, some or most of these gifted kids simply do not understand why the other children would do things in the 'stupid' way and why they could not understand a simple logic or problem which they think is 'easy' :idea: .... So maybe all the above reasons constitute to their behaviour problem or social skill problem. That is my analysis after 'studying' my ds behaviour but luckily he is not that bad...he is still able to make friends in class... :roll:

Sigh! What's the point of having an IQ of a 17 year old and the social skills of a 4 year old? Having said that, there's so much we can learn from such imbalance and so much innocence behind that smart alec. Just waiting for the day the EQ matches the IQ, and I know that day will come, as long as we refuse to give up.

yup thats right...got to be patient... :( :love:

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby EN » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:12 am

phankao wrote:
Way2GO wrote:

There's something in that pledge about 'regardless of race', u know?
Your wife is a local born Malay. The Malays are accorded special privileges, in particular free education, under the Singapore constitution. You must know this. Are u tapping into this to milk the system?

No longer right? I thot the scheme expired after the 1980s or early 1990s...

It's in the constitution.

There's definitely some change but I too lazy to go dig out the info. There's some reasoning behind it too.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby EN » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:18 am

EN wrote:
I thought the child's race follows the father? Friends of mix marriages still need to pay full amount of school fees. It is only this year that there is a change. Open to parents to decide what to state the child race is.

Children with one expat parent hv the best of both worlds.
They hv a choice to go international or get into the local schools
if one of the parents is at least a PR.
Mrs Cawley is a Singaporean by birth.
Ainan was in Bukit Timah Primary.
PRs and SCs all pay token sums in local primary schools.
How much is tat? Very minimal sum.
Recently, the gahmen announced that the PRs 'd hv to pay more
to differentiate the PRs fr the SCs. Also a token gesture.
And what's the diff? For many, still negligible

Aiyahh.....not all caucasion are on expat term, house, school, medical, transportation, recreation paid for by the company. International school fees are extremely exhorbitant. But then in local Singapore school, often I see pure caucasion kids. So children of mix parentage, it makes sense to be in local system. Cheaper mahh...

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bcet0104 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:15 am

vlim wrote:yup thats right...got to be patient... :( :love:

well said. it's a long wait.. and i have a feeling it will take us a few more years to get there. at least there's some light at the end of the tunnel.

bcet0104
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby bcet0104 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:28 am

2ppaamm wrote:How strange... that's exactly the position I am in leh. The GEP HOD told me that she has never met a case like mine ever since she started teaching GEP. She started when GEP started. :faint:

that's why his teacher kept asking us if he has AS.. but after so many assessments, the EP concluded that he's fine. his teachers too are so baffled at his behaviour. :?

bcet0104
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby 2ppaamm » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:23 am

bcet0104, Who is your EP? Is he from MOE and are his initials TAK?

2ppaamm
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bcet0104 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:45 pm

2ppaamm wrote:bcet0104, Who is your EP? Is he from MOE and are his initials TAK?

Nope. We had him assessed back Thailand. Used to stay there for a few years. The first time we had him assessed, we flew him back to sgp and had him tested in a private clinic. Subsequently we had him assessed by another EP who used to work in MOE. She's british, now based in australia. Both assessments yield the same conclusion - high iq, low eq
:(

bcet0104
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby sleepy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:59 am

bcet0104 wrote:
2ppaamm wrote:bcet0104, Who is your EP? Is he from MOE and are his initials TAK?

Nope. We had him assessed back Thailand. Used to stay there for a few years. The first time we had him assessed, we flew him back to sgp and had him tested in a private clinic. Subsequently we had him assessed by another EP who used to work in MOE. She's british, now based in australia. Both assessments yield the same conclusion - high iq, low eq
:(

Hi, how was the EQ assessement done? In IQ assessment like WISC there is a score on verbal comprehension where the child needs to engage in conversation with the tester. Is that considered EQ?

Or the EQ assessment is separate from IQ assessment?

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bcet0104 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:09 am

sleepy wrote:Hi, how was the EQ assessement done? In IQ assessment like WISC there is a score on verbal comprehension where the child needs to engage in conversation with the tester. Is that considered EQ?

Or the EQ assessment is separate from IQ assessment?

Hi sleepy,

They did not do any EQ assessment. Dont think there is such an assessment out there in the market today. They basically did WISC-IV, clinical observations and assessed his communication skills. Interestingly, he scored very very high on his Verbal IQ component, thus both EPs concluded that he doesnt hv ASD, so the cause of his quirkiness could be due to social immaturity and poor EQ.

What's the point of having high intelligence if one can't get along well with others? Sometimes, too much of a good thing may sometimes tip the balance scale. JMHO.

bcet0104
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby vlim » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:11 pm

Hi, I heard that few of the p5 gep kids are selected to go Japan for an event...Any parent knows abt it? :D

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to GEP