Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

All About GEP

Academic support and discussions for GEP

GEP screening test? Go or no Go

Poll ended at Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Must Go
7
35%
Can Try
11
55%
Don't Go
2
10%
 
Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby Flowermonaster » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:41 am

This morn DS told me he intend to choose "break the code" as he find it interesting! :yikes:
Advise him not to as it's very tough. His teacher said it will be guided but I explained to him his CCA schedule this year is very tight so if can, choose something simpler but still interest him. Dare not think now, just can only :xedfingers:

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1479
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:54 pm
Total Likes: 5


Re: All About GEP

Postby 8228 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:27 am

Without knowing the details, "break the code" sounds interesting to the kids. But I don't want my ds to choose a topic which is too difficult or time consuming. This week alone, he has to submit ERP and SS portfolio.

8228
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:47 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby Flowermonaster » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:48 am

8228 wrote:Without knowing the details, "break the code" sounds interesting to the kids. But I don't want my ds to choose a topic which is too difficult or time consuming. This week alone, he has to submit ERP and SS portfolio.

Me 2 but I can't stop him if he insist. I can only give him advice, ultimately he is still the decision maker & doer. Just wait & see if he listened to my advice or not. :wink:

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1479
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:54 pm
Total Likes: 5


Re: All About GEP

Postby jtoh » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:03 am

There was some discussion last year on how difficult 'break the code' is and that even tertiary lecturers had problems solving it. Curious, I asked my dd which topic she chose to do during her time and she said 'break the code'. Well obviously she didn't come to me or my hubby for help because we didn't even know which topic she chose. I asked her how was it. She said easy. And she solved it all on her own. The teacher offered no help either. I guess whether the topic is easy or difficult depends on the child and whether they 'get' that particular question. Just go ahead and let your child try something they're interested in.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 11223
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 101


Re: All About GEP

Postby Nebbermind » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:20 am

is 'breaking the code' a last letter generator?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 15876
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:40 am
Total Likes: 157



Re: All About GEP

Postby sandunes » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:04 pm

jtoh wrote:There was some discussion last year on how difficult 'break the code' is and that even tertiary lecturers had problems solving it. Curious, I asked my dd which topic she chose to do during her time and she said 'break the code'. Well obviously she didn't come to me or my hubby for help because we didn't even know which topic she chose. I asked her how was it. She said easy. And she solved it all on her own. The teacher offered no help either. I guess whether the topic is easy or difficult depends on the child and whether they 'get' that particular question. Just go ahead and let your child try something they're interested in.


I don't think it's difficult for the kids. At least one of ds's classmate has solved it and on his way to completion. Ds has the answer too and now working on delivery.

I remember reading the assessment sheet that teacher will be monitoring their work and students can meet their teachers to discuss progress. So parents need not worry too much. ;)

sandunes
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:57 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: All About GEP

Postby vlim » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:15 pm

sandunes wrote:
jtoh wrote:There was some discussion last year on how difficult 'break the code' is and that even tertiary lecturers had problems solving it. Curious, I asked my dd which topic she chose to do during her time and she said 'break the code'. Well obviously she didn't come to me or my hubby for help because we didn't even know which topic she chose. I asked her how was it. She said easy. And she solved it all on her own. The teacher offered no help either. I guess whether the topic is easy or difficult depends on the child and whether they 'get' that particular question. Just go ahead and let your child try something they're interested in.


I don't think it's difficult for the kids. At least one of ds's classmate has solved it and on his way to completion. Ds has the answer too and now working on delivery.

I remember reading the assessment sheet that teacher will be monitoring their work and students can meet their teachers to discuss progress. So parents need not worry too much. ;)

I remember my ds submitted 2 drafts for teacher's comment before the final submittion.
Last edited by vlim on Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4782
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:49 pm
Total Likes: 2


Re: All About GEP

Postby musette » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:17 pm

Oh dear! My dd said she'll choose topic 1, something on lines; straight and curved lines. I have no idea what she is suppose to be doing. Better ask her later when she's back.

musette
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:56 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby superksmum » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Glad to find the Math AA discussion here. My DC is also considering the "Pigeon and Pigeon Holes" and "Statistics" method. Hopefully it is not a difficult topics and DC has so 2 portfolio to submit this week.

superksmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:15 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby superksmum » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:59 pm

Really pity the kids as they have to work on so many portfolios, stay back for supplementary lesson for 2 days till 4 pm and pile of homework to be completed. Sometime, really wonder whether they are able to take the stress. Even adult like us also feel tired, not to mention the kids. :nailbite:

superksmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:15 pm
Total Likes: 0


PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres