Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby jtoh » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:06 pm

sandunes wrote:
jtoh wrote:There was some discussion last year on how difficult 'break the code' is and that even tertiary lecturers had problems solving it. Curious, I asked my dd which topic she chose to do during her time and she said 'break the code'. Well obviously she didn't come to me or my hubby for help because we didn't even know which topic she chose. I asked her how was it. She said easy. And she solved it all on her own. The teacher offered no help either. I guess whether the topic is easy or difficult depends on the child and whether they 'get' that particular question. Just go ahead and let your child try something they're interested in.

I don't think it's difficult for the kids. At least one of ds's classmate has solved it and on his way to completion. Ds has the answer too and now working on delivery.

I remember reading the assessment sheet that teacher will be monitoring their work and students can meet their teachers to discuss progress. So parents need not worry too much. ;)

Sometimes we think it's difficult because our brains are wired differently from our kids'. We're probably also too set in our ways and can't think out of the box. So something that's tough for us is probably not difficult for these kids, especially if they're naturally talented in Math.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby gladtobemom » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:40 pm

jtoh wrote:Sometimes we think it's difficult because our brains are wired differently from our kids'. We're probably also too set in our ways and can't think out of the box. So something that's tough for us is probably not difficult for these kids, especially if they're naturally talented in Math.

The problem is that my child is definitely not talented in Math :roll:

gladtobemom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Bay » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:05 am

superksmum wrote:Really pity the kids as they have to work on so many portfolios, stay back for supplementary lesson for 2 days till 4 pm and pile of homework to be completed. Sometime, really wonder whether they are able to take the stress. Even adult like us also feel tired, not to mention the kids. :nailbite:

I share your sentiment. Ds is only 1 month into the programme and he is so tire everyday. Including CCAs, he stays back for 3 days till 4pm or 6pm (not including CCA on Sat). Come home still have homework. Though he didn't complain . . . but my heart ache for him. Worst than a working adult.

Bay
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Flowermonaster » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:15 am

Flowermonaster wrote:
8228 wrote:Without knowing the details, "break the code" sounds interesting to the kids. But I don't want my ds to choose a topic which is too difficult or time consuming. This week alone, he has to submit ERP and SS portfolio.

Me 2 but I can't stop him if he insist. I can only give him advice, ultimately he is still the decision maker & doer. Just wait & see if he listened to my advice or not. :wink:

My DS didn't take my advice, he chose "break the code". :sweat:
Well, so be it then. :shrug:

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 8228 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:02 am

Flowermonaster wrote:My DS didn't take my advice, he chose "break the code". :sweat:
Well, so be it then. :shrug:

Based on the comments in this forum, some said very difficult but others said easy. One reason could be some pupils are more talented in Maths. The other possibility - there is different code to break each year. So hopefully the code this year is not superb difficult as our kids need time for other things.

BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:23 am

Think breaking the code is not about solving it but to device a way to code something. Believe there's a brief write-up for each project, ya?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 8228 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:09 pm

Nebbermind wrote:Think breaking the code is not about solving it but to device a way to code something. Believe there's a brief write-up for each project, ya?

Not sure whether there is any write-up. What I saw was just a list of topics.

BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Flowermonaster » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:27 pm

8228 wrote:
Nebbermind wrote:Think breaking the code is not about solving it but to device a way to code something. Believe there's a brief write-up for each project, ya?

Not sure whether there is any write-up. What I saw was just a list of topics.

I don't even get to see the topics. His MT said will only give him the one he chose. :faint:

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby superksmum » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:05 pm

I share your sentiment. Ds is only 1 month into the programme and he is so tire everyday. Including CCAs, he stays back for 3 days till 4pm or 6pm (not including CCA on Sat). Come home still have homework. Though he didn't complain . . . but my heart ache for him. Worst than a working adult.[/quote]

Hopefully, we are able to pull through as it is DC's crucial year - PSLE. :slapshead:

superksmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby superksmum » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:10 pm

Heard from DC that there is a write up on the task given to them at the back of the classroom. However, they are not allowed to bring it back. They can refer to it and decide what they are keen in. For those who choose the "Break The Code", it is more like study the alhanumerical code and unfold the patterns.

superksmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres