35%
Can Try
55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby Flowermonaster » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:44 am

Herbie wrote:Maths ct 1 is just around the corner.

Yeah, hope all the kids do well.

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby a child » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:13 pm

Hello, I'm an ex-gepper just dropping by.

I'd like to say that as children we're extremely adaptable and most are able to cope well even with projects + external exams, etc. My friends and I who have been through the program have all had our late nights, our frantic rushing of work, put we've always pulled through. Reading through this thread actually shows me how much work I actually did in those years, but then, you're actually really immersed in enjoying and learning from the present. You tackle one task at a time and actually you don't feel the stress. Sure, you complain, but with your friends complaining with you it doesn't feel that bad. If your friend can do it, so can you. And from every single of those late nights and projects we had to slog through, we really learnt a lot.

Basically I actually want to say this: Have faith. Have faith in the program, the teachers, and us, your children. If your children have been selected, that means they have the potential to do it. We may rant to you and complain, but most of the times when you're still worrying we're off doing something else. As in, really, the idea is that it seems like a lot, but mostly we manage well. I'm not saying that there aren't any cases of children not coping well. But most do. And to me, a few late nights, some rushed projects, busy external exam preparations, a few complaints - all these are expected. Don't be too worried (:

a child
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Just4Good » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:55 pm

You know, to stay in GEP, you have to have EXTRA knowledge, not MAINSTREAM knowledge. For those people who spends all their time reading mainstream books and only touching extras at the last second, they may find it hard to cope.

Just4Good
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby 8228 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:44 pm

Does anyone know the topics for the P6 maths common test next week? For EL, is it just cloze and comprehension? TIA.

BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby simple2005 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:28 am

a child wrote:Hello, I'm an ex-gepper just dropping by.

.... (:

Thanks for dropping by and re-assuring the parents here.

I hope by dropping by it works both ways, ...that you know what the (and probably your) parents/guardians probably have to go through during the course, and likely spend as many sleepless nights and feeling just as stressed. :sweat:

Cheers.

simple2005
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Bay » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:14 am

I'd like to say that as children we're extremely adaptable and most are able to cope well even with projects + external exams, etc. . . . every single of those late nights and projects we had to slog through, we really learnt a lot.

Have faith. Have faith in the program, the teachers, and us, your children. If your children have been selected, that means they have the potential to do it. . . . . . (:

Dear a child, it's great to hear from you again. It's always heartening to hear a child's perspective. I hope my ds has your mindset.

Ds is only into the program for 2 mths and has been buring the mignight oil to complete the projects. He has no problem with the daily worksheets or homework but is stress out by the projects - the oral history and photo journal in P4. To do a relatively good piece of work, these projects require some level of reseach - which is taking too much of his time. I wonder if we are on the right track or are we doing too much for a P4 level?

He took back his oral history write up recently and was surprisingly delighted when the teacher requested for a copy of his work to be kept as teaching material for future students. His effort paid off but it's taking a toll on his health as he is getting more sickly recently.

I was hoping that this is just a transition period and that he will manage his time better as he adapt to the program. But looking at the comments from P5 and P6 parents, I don't think it's going to be better. I wonder how are the other P4 kids managing? Is it only my boy who's struggling? Does that mean he's not suitable for the program?

Bay
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Flowermonaster » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:27 am

Bay wrote:

I'd like to say that as children we're extremely adaptable and most are able to cope well even with projects + external exams, etc. . . . every single of those late nights and projects we had to slog through, we really learnt a lot.

Have faith. Have faith in the program, the teachers, and us, your children. If your children have been selected, that means they have the potential to do it. . . . . . (:

Dear a child, it's great to hear from you again. It's always heartening to hear a child's perspective. I hope my ds has your mindset.

Ds is only into the program for 2 mths and has been buring the mignight oil to complete the projects. He has no problem with the daily worksheets or homework but is stress out by the projects - the oral history and photo journal in P4. To do a relatively good piece of work, these projects require some level of reseach - which is taking too much of his time. I wonder if we are on the right track or are we doing too much for a P4 level?

He took back his oral history write up recently and was surprisingly delighted when the teacher requested for a copy of his work to be kept as teaching material for future students. His effort paid off but it's taking a toll on his health as he is getting more sickly recently.

I was hoping that this is just a transition period and that he will manage his time better as he adapt to the program. But looking at the comments from P5 and P6 parents, I don't think it's going to be better. I wonder how are the other P4 kids managing? Is it only my boy who's struggling? Does that mean he's not suitable for the program?

Hi Bay, I think your boy is on the right track. Once he is used to the program it will be fine. P5 is manageable once u survived P4. The kids will know what to expect & should be able to handle the workload. Yes, the workload is heavier compare to P4 but if done diligently should be no prob.
My DS is currently in P6. His schedule is really hectic due to SYF and not GE program. So, for kids not involve in SYF or other activities, should be more relax. Mar school holiday all taken up by SYF & study camp. On top of SYF, my DS will be taking 2 music exams this year too. He has not much free time to play now. After SYF & MOS competition, he should have more free time.

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:38 am

Bay wrote:stress out by the projects - the oral history and photo journal in P4. To do a relatively good piece of work, these projects require some level of reseach - which is taking too much of his time. I wonder if we are on the right track or are we doing too much for a P4 level?

What is oral history project?

So far only aware of 2 projects. One on family tree, the other is photo journal.

Photo journal only spend 30 minutes. Done!
Gosh, maybe my dd didn't spend sufficient time researching :nailbite:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby YY1205 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:03 pm

My DS is currently in P6. His schedule is really hectic due to SYF and not GE program. So, for kids not involve in SYF or other activities, should be more relax. Mar school holiday all taken up by SYF & study camp. On top of SYF, my DS will be taking 2 music exams this year too. He has not much free time to play now. After SYF & MOS competition, he should have more free time.[/quote]

May I know what is SYF?

YY1205
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Kafer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:05 pm

To date, P6 workload is manageable for my dd.
She has submitted the bio thingy, ss write up, oral presentation and maths aa.
Currently she is doing her erp.

I think there is another 1 or 2 project for eng and another write up for ss to be complete before they can zoom into preparation for psle.

Kafer
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP