55%
Don't Go
10%

Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby Herbie » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:20 pm

YY1205 wrote:
May I know what is SYF?

SYF is Singapore Youth Festival, my dd is also very busy with SYF training.
She is having her common test soon but training and rehearsal is still on going.

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby musette » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:28 pm

Somehow I find P6 so stressful for my dd. A lot of write-ups to do and the teacher has been very 'on' abt English compo too. Have written at least 4 since the start of the year. She still has Maths aa to complete and ss reflection to write.

The drafts for the Biography, ss artefact and write-up, oral presentation and ERP are done. Waiting for the teachers' feedback. And these two weeks are CA1! Somehow, I feel that they are just rushing through the different projects and get them completed before mid-year.

And she's preparing for violin practical exam in Aug and swimming competition next month and in July! :stompfeet: Haven't really sat down to think about PSLE yet. I agree with Flowermonaster that without all these CCAs, the workload should be manageable.

musette
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Herbie » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:44 pm

Wow, yr dd has written 4 compo, i think my dd has not written any compo yet!

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Flowermonaster » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:33 pm

Herbie wrote:Wow, yr dd has written 4 compo, i think my dd has not written any compo yet!

Yap, mine also wrote quite a number already.

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Flowermonaster » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:36 pm

Kafer wrote:To date, P6 workload is manageable for my dd.
She has submitted the bio thingy, ss write up, oral presentation and maths aa.
Currently she is doing her erp.

I think there is another 1 or 2 project for eng and another write up for ss to be complete before they can zoom into preparation for psle.

Hi Kafer, may I know what oral presentation? I don't remember my DS had tat. He has done his SS writeup, Math AA, EL bio, science proj but not this oral presentation. Is it science?

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Flowermonaster » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:44 pm

Herbie wrote:
YY1205 wrote:
May I know what is SYF?

SYF is Singapore Youth Festival, my dd is also very busy with SYF training.
She is having her common test soon but training and rehearsal is still on going.

Yes same here. My DS has no time to do any revision due to this SYF Thingy. Luckily the teachers had given them past years test paper to practice. A few of his classmates drop their CCA so that they dont have to participate in SYF so they got more time to revise for exam.

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby a child » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:35 pm

Hey, don't really have much time to read-through/quote posts, school work's kinda busy. But I just wanna say that in P4 I spent 2 whole weekends plus a few late nights doing the Family Tree. That was the first project, and I had NEVER done a project/write-up before. But slowly I got used to it. It gets better. Shorter time spent, better grades. Right now in Sec 1 RGS, I'm spending something like 2hours and I'm done with the final submission, for some projects. We really get a lot of project practice in GEP, and practice makes perfect. In no way does that statement imply that practice is easy or enjoyable. But it does say that things will get better, and you'll reap the benefits/rewards(: I would actually be very surprised if any P4 kid manages to cruise through and do the projects efficiently and well, not needing the practice and adjustment period I did. Some do adjust faster, some slower, and I'm one of the slower ones, but things even out in the end. And it's always tough. But hang in there, things will get better :D

a child
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Herbie » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:39 pm

Hi flowermonaster,

I told my girl to drop syf too but she says
her ge friends are gg leh and she wants to
go too!

Oral presentation is wrt a famous person.

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Flowermonaster » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:54 pm

Herbie wrote:Hi flowermonaster,

I told my girl to drop syf too but she says
her ge friends are gg leh and she wants to
go too!

Oral presentation is wrt a famous person.

Mine said if he got selected he wants to participate. My DH was against it. I gave him my support since it will be a great experience for him. I did warn him that it will be tough juggling between SYF training & school work. He will have to be very discipline, must clear his homework, projects, assignment whenever he is free. All his worksheets must be cleared on the same day even if deadline is not next day. This is to prevent accumulating of homework. Project/assignment, he can do bits & pieces whenever he is free. So in other word, he got not much free time.

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby musette » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:56 pm

Mine said if he got selected he wants to participate. My DH was against it. I gave him my support since it will be a great experience for him.

I think it's a wonderful experience to participate in SYF and it's something to add to their CV for DSA! Furthermore SYF will end by May right?

musette
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

PreviousNext

Return to GEP

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres