LEARNConcierge

All About GEP

Academic support and discussions for GEP

GEP screening test? Go or no Go

Poll ended at Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Must Go
7
35%
Can Try
11
55%
Don't Go
2
10%
 
Total votes : 20

Re: All About GEP

Postby Flowermonaster » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:07 pm

musette wrote:
Mine said if he got selected he wants to participate. My DH was against it. I gave him my support since it will be a great experience for him.


I think it's a wonderful experience to participate in SYF and it's something to add to their CV for DSA! Furthermore SYF will end by May right?

Yes, think the competition is 2nd week of April. Hope it won't crash with NSW or SMOPS competition date. :xedfingers:

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1479
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:54 pm
Total Likes: 5


Re: All About GEP

Postby MotherHen » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:43 am

I've been counting the days to April since January :smile: . By then would be done with SYF, ballet exam (along with all the extra coaching classes), music theory exam, etc. Then dd can finally take a breather and (hopefully) get started on revision for PSLE.

In the meantime, just praying really really hard that she'll do OK in the upcoming CT....

MotherHen
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 617
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:58 am
Total Likes: 10


Re: All About GEP

Postby Herbie » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:04 am

I think smop will be held on 21 apr. Syf will be sometime between 12 to 20 april.

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1644
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:48 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby Flowermonaster » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:07 am

Herbie wrote:I think smop will be held on 21 apr. Syf will be sometime between 12 to 20 april.

I thought smop will be held on the 14th Apr? According to the notification I received from school. RI Math is on 30th Mar.
Any idea if SYF will falls on a Sat?

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1479
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:54 pm
Total Likes: 5


Re: All About GEP

Postby Herbie » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:14 am

Hi flowermonaster,
U are right then on the date for smop. I was juz guessing based on record.

As for the date for dyf, i juz took it from from the syf
calander shown online.

Cheers!

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1644
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:48 am
Total Likes: 0



Re: All About GEP

Postby Bay » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:43 am

Dear Flowermonaster and 'a child',

Thanks for the encouragement. It's comforting to know that ds may not be the only one struggling. Hope ds will adapt well and survive P4.

Ds is also involve in SYF. In fact, he has 2 ccas. On a typical week, he has to stay back 4 days in school till 4pm (excluding Sat training for SYF). He's reluctant to give up any of his ccas. So I have to stop his external piano lesson instead. Will be stopping his other external sports activity too. He's really upset with what I'm doing but I kept telling him that he has too much on his plate and that he needed rest and play time too. Haha! Not sure if I'm doing the right thing. :xedfingers:

Bay
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:28 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby Bay » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:53 am

[quote="sleepyWhat is oral history project?

So far only aware of 2 projects. One on family tree, the other is photo journal.

Photo journal only spend 30 minutes. Done!
Gosh, maybe my dd didn't spend sufficient time researching :nailbite:[/quote]

The family tree is part of the Oral History Project.

Ds is not a natural writer so he needs a longer time to come out with a decent piece of work. The scrapbook itself already took him half a day.

Bay
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:28 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About GEP

Postby Flowermonaster » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:13 am

Bay wrote:Dear Flowermonaster and 'a child',

Thanks for the encouragement. It's comforting to know that ds may not be the only one struggling. Hope ds will adapt well and survive P4.

Ds is also involve in SYF. In fact, he has 2 ccas. On a typical week, he has to stay back 4 days in school till 4pm (excluding Sat training for SYF). He's reluctant to give up any of his ccas. So I have to stop his external piano lesson instead. Will be stopping his other external sports activity too. He's really upset with what I'm doing but I kept telling him that he has too much on his plate and that he needed rest and play time too. Haha! Not sure if I'm doing the right thing. :xedfingers:

Hi Bay, I can't say if what you're doing is right or wrong but I am sure you should be able to judge if he can handle or not.
I also think my DS has too much things on his plate but I am not stopping him even though this is a critical year for him. He will have to learn how to cope if that's what he want to do.

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1479
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:54 pm
Total Likes: 5


Re: All About GEP

Postby Flowermonaster » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:27 am

Bay wrote:
sleepy wrote: What is oral history project?

So far only aware of 2 projects. One on family tree, the other is photo journal.

Photo journal only spend 30 minutes. Done!
Gosh, maybe my dd didn't spend sufficient time researching :nailbite:


The family tree is part of the Oral History Project.

Ds is not a natural writer so he needs a longer time to come out with a decent piece of work. The scrapbook itself already took him half a day.


My DS was not a natural writer too. When he was in P4, I vomitted blood every time I read his compo. They were really illogical. A lot of day to day things that we thought were normal, he has totally no idea of them. For Eg, we need ATM card & pin number to withdraw money from ATM machine but he thought we just need the card, slot in & the machine will throw out the money! He didn't know that our stove needs gas to work. If we run out of gas, we need to order. There r many more but I won't elaborate here. :faint:
I was worried & consulted his EL teacher but the feedback was gave him some time & he will get better. I bought a few model compo guide book for him but he refused to read them.
Surprising, he is doing quite alright now. At the very least, I don't faint after reading his work. So I am sure your boy is fine, & the time taken will be shorter when he gets better. Don't worry too much ok? :wink:

Flowermonaster
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1479
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:54 pm
Total Likes: 5


Re: All About GEP

Postby Nebbermind » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:49 am

Flowermonaster wrote:My DS was not a natural writer too. When he was in P4, I vomitted blood every time I read his compo. They were really illogical. A lot of day to day things that we thought were normal, he has totally no idea of them. For Eg, we need ATM card & pin number to withdraw money from ATM machine but he thought we just need the card, slot in & the machine will throw out the money! He didn't know that our stove needs gas to work. If we run out of gas, we need to order. There r many more but I won't elaborate here. :faint:
I was worried & consulted his EL teacher but the feedback was gave him some time & he will get better. I bought a few model compo guide book for him but he refused to read them.
Surprising, he is doing quite alright now. At the very least, I don't faint after reading his work. So I am sure your boy is fine, & the time taken will be shorter when he gets better. Don't worry too much ok? :wink:


Well, even though I think my kids know how to withdraw $$ from ATM, they were totally clueless where the $$ came from....like how the banking system works...only knew that when we run out of CASH we go and withdraw....didn't know that we need to have acct and bank in the money before that....

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 15808
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:40 am
Total Likes: 157


PreviousNext

Return to GEP

LEARNConcierge